Snack for 5am workout? Go on Empty?

Options
I get up at 5am to work out. It's the only real "Me time" I have to get a good workout in. Some mornings I feel a little hungry when I get up and will eat something super quick right before my workout. I don't have time to let it diget (lol). I have been doing a tablespoon of powdered peanut butter on 3 reduced fat triscuits. Sometimes maybe I'll eat a 1/2 a banana instead. Sometimes, I won't eat anything. I always will drink water before and durring.

So, my questions are: Do you eat first?; What do you eat?

I read a fitness magazine article that said studies used to say not to eat. Now they say you burn more calories if you do eat 15-20 minutes before. I don't have 15-20 minutes of time to wait until my workout. There is so much "do this, not that" information out there.

Replies

• Br4ndi
    Br4ndi Posts: 177
    Options
    Great question, I am in the same boat. I have to be done working out by 6:15 to start my day and I get up at 4:45am to be working out at 5. I d not want to have to get up any earlier to eat.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am to work out. It's the only real "Me time" I have to get a good workout in. Some mornings I feel a little hungry when I get up and will eat something super quick right before my workout. I don't have time to let it diget (lol). I have been doing a tablespoon of powdered peanut butter on 3 reduced fat triscuits. Sometimes maybe I'll eat a 1/2 a banana instead. Sometimes, I won't eat anything. I always will drink water before and durring.

So, my questions are: Do you eat first?; What do you eat?

I read a fitness magazine article that said studies used to say not to eat. Now they say you burn more calories if you do eat 15-20 minutes before. I don't have 15-20 minutes of time to wait until my workout. There is so much "do this, not that" information out there.

I would choose whichever method gives you the greatest:

a) personal satisfaction
    and
    b) workout performance

This is absolutely not a one-size-fits-all answer. I enjoy training fasted, others hate it.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5 and am out the door by 5:10 to meet my friend for a run. I eat after! I don't want to get up any earlier to eat, I need to be back home by 6 to get my kids up for school.

I
    There are so many theories eat before/ eat after. I say do what works for you!
  • George1567
    Options
    My bet is most answers will be about finding what works best for the individual. You can find "data" to support eating and not eating before workout but it all seems to be slanted by what your workout/fitness goals are. If you can go to the gym and kill a workout on empty, then that has to be better than trying to fit in a snack/meal prior and having it detract from your workout.

My winter work schedule is very un-typical. I go in from 8-10am and then I'm off until mid afternoon. I go to the gym at 10am and do not eat anything until after my workout. I drink plenty of water, but no solid food. I find this works best for me.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I get lightheaded if I train fasted, so I always eat a little something. In the morning, it's either some yogurt & granola, or wheat toast with nutella. I agree with the others on here that say do what works best for you.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Keep trying different variations until you find what works best for you. It took a few weeks of me doing one thing for a few days then switching to something else to find out that before I work out, I function best with some carbs and protein in my system about an hour before I workout to keep me from feeling nausous.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry or get light headed during your work out, I'd say eat, if not, then don't. I get up and am at my gym by 5am, I don't eat before hand cause I'm not awake enough to be hungry yet
  • Sarabeth1980
    Sarabeth1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I few nuts has always helped me when I am super hungry, I do this a lot when I get home from work and dinner isn't going to be ready for a bit. It stops me from pigging out on dinner later
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    An option to consider is to eat late at night, like just before bed. Nothing big but maybe a slice of bread with some peanut butter and an apple. I don't know how intense your workouts are but it should help ensure there is something in your stomach to get you through your workout. Otherwise, a bagel or some toast is good too.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I always eat a little something, a piece of turkey bacon, a couple bites of sweet potato, whatever's handy, otherwise I tend to get tired faster.However, that's me, I agree with what the others are saying, do what works best for you.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4 and leave at 4:15 for the gym. I do not eat beforehand.
  • shreded7
    Options
    My bet is most answers will be about finding what works best for the individual. You can find "data" to support eating and not eating before workout but it all seems to be slanted by what your workout/fitness goals are. If you can go to the gym and kill a workout on empty, then that has to be better than trying to fit in a snack/meal prior and having it detract from your workout.

i agree, some people cant handle working out on an empty stomach.
    Working out on an empty stomach will burn more calories though, because it forces your body to pull from its secondary energy source, fat reserves. I'm a cyclist who races, and will ride one to two hours hard some mornings, and those i know a banana is a good idea, because 1) i need a lot MORE energy for the workout (since its kinda long) 2) i need some quick energy. fat reserves have slower utilization than blood glucose and muscle glycogen, which will both run out sorta quickly ,while also being restored at a slower rate than they're eaten up on the bike.
    A shorter ride or run though will be better without any food.

so it depends on your workout, and ultimately, YOU!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've tried it both ways, and I like working out with no food on my stomach best. It seems to pull some of the intensity from my workout if my digestive tract is busy.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I work on empty if I go to the gym that early...
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I work out or my body tries to involuntarily shut down (aka pass out) I don't' know why, my guess is its a blood sugar thing. I normally do evening workouts and I try to eat at least a half hour before I exercise. Any closer than 30min I am burping food ;D

My go to preworkout snacks are
    Whole Unsalted Almonds
    1 banana
    Cheese stick (sometimes with the almonds)
    Baby Carrots
    Hard Boiled Egg

Haven't tried many others beyond these, though if I get any more I will tell you!
  • naner61
    Options
    I have a banana or a babybel cheese 35 minutes before (on the drive to the gym ) because otherwise I get to lightheaded and have trouble finishing my workout(bootcamp!) It totally depends on how your body reacts to early morning workouts. When I do deepwater aquasize I don't need anything but the bootcamp for an hour I definitely need a little something and a glass of water.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I find that eating before I workout at 5:00 a.m. makes my stomach hurt. But, like others have said, I think it is personal preference.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that say the right answer is whatever works best for you. I find that when I work out after eating, my stomach gets upset. And yet, when I work out on an empty stomach, I kind of feel depleted earlier. No good answer for me or from me.
  • RHHMom
    RHHMom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wake up absolutely famished. A banana, glass of water, and cup of coffee helps me run faster, and not get distracted by hunger pains.
  • ninick
    ninick Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I have to do early workouts, I tend to have something liquid. Usually coffee mixed with milk and 1/2 serveing protein powder. Gets me some carbs and protein to power through workout.