How do you prepare for a weigh-in?

Options
I would like to know what others do the day before and the day of a weigh in. Do you stop eating at a certain time the day before? DO you still drink water? Whats the best way to get an accurate reading?

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Accurate? It may be accurate for that moment but you're weight fluxuates as you take in and get rid of food/liquid.

Personally, on Saturdays, I get up, use the bathroom and weigh.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I pee and get naked. Or close to it.
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    I have 2 weigh ins......Thursday morning at home and Thursday night at a weight loss group. I log my morning one here on MFP because it's first thing in the morning.

The day before and of WI I generally eat "clean" meaning I don't eat processed foods and stuff containing salt. My body unfortunately retains fluid when I do. So I opt for salads, chicken breast, fruit and yogurt and stay away from canned goods and soups. My evening weight will obviously be more but I eat as I regularly would through the day as I am diabetic and have to. I also make sure I get my 8 glasses of water in before 1:00 so that come weigh in, I'm not retaining that fluid (hopefully) (lol)

Good luck in your weight loss journey. :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I inhale some helium
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Get up, pee, shower, weigh LOL - Once a week on Saturday mornings.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Only in the morning, before I eat, but after I use the restroom.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Use the restroom, get naked, stand on scale.

Manipulating your meal timing outside of your normal behavior patterns seems silly. You'd only be fooling yourself and providing less than accurate data.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    lolwut???

1. wake up
    2. drop kids off at the pool
    3. wipe
    4. wash hands
    5. step on scale
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    First I take my shirt off, then my pants, then my undies, then my bra...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    *kitten*
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily to keep myself on track. I record losses if I maintain for 3-4 days. Anyway, first thing in the morning, shuffle from bed to bathroom, turn on space heater (it's COLD), pee, arrange clothes in front of space heater, strip, get on scale, hop off scale and into toasted clothes.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    uuum..I poop, pee, get naked, and step on the scale. If I can't poop I don't weigh in. If I can't use my home scale then I don't weigh in. That's about it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Use the restroom, get naked, stand on scale.

Manipulating your meal timing outside of your normal behavior patterns seems silly. You'd only be fooling yourself and providing less than accurate data.
    ^ This
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just get up, use the bathroom and stand naked on the scale. I don't think there is anything you can do the day before that would really change it by any meaningful amount.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    uuum..I poop, pee, get naked, and step on the scale. If I can't poop I don't weigh in. If I can't use my home scale then I don't weigh in. That's about it.

Ditto, typically at the same time in the morning too.
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Accurate? It may be accurate for that moment but you're weight fluxuates as you take in and get rid of food/liquid.

Personally, on Saturdays, I get up, use the bathroom and weigh.

Yup this is it, nuthin fancy. Same time, same day, same clothing, same one eye open.

If you spend the day before, excersizing more, eating less or whatever that for sure isn't gonna give you an accurate reading.

Only other thing i would suggest, make sure your scale sits in one place. moving it in and out of the closet, or from under the dresser can, on some scales, alter the calibration.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    *kitten*

Great cardio :drinker:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Disrobe. Use restroom. Step on scale.

As long as you weigh yourself consistently the same time of day on the same (decent quality) scale and in essentially the same clothing you'll get meaningful results. Not eating may make the reading on the scale lower because your intestines are empty. Not drinking may do the same because you're dehydrated. But neither of them are making a real difference in reaching your goals, so why kid yourself? You weigh what you weigh eating and drinking as you normally do.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I hit the bathroom, get naked and step on before my shower... how often depends on how well I've been eating. Typically every Saturday morning. I try to avoid any binges on Friday nights but otherwise I don't have any preparations.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The day before, I add lemon juice to 1L of water and drink throughout the day. Not sure if it does anything, but it isn't hurting!

The day of (Sundays), I pee (yes, wash hands), strip and hop on the scale. 2-3 times actually, then take the most consistent number, I have a dial scale and sometimes it doesn't weigh the same each time