Healthy Weight Loss Question

Options
My fiance wants to push up our wedding to January 19th, 2013 (long story) and I am wondering what would be a healthy weight loss goal for then. That gives me 10 weeks 2 days. I know it would be impossible to lose 70 pounds in 10 weeks, but I am wondering what would be a realistic goal for 10 weeks from now. :)

Also, if you have any tips on the best way to lose this weight before then, that would be great too. :) Thank you!

Replies

• mallorycutting
    Options
    I would say if you do everything right and stick with it you could lose about 15-20lbs. It comes off a lot faster in the beginning.

Set your goal to .5lbs per week and go from there. Get exercising and you should be losing soon! Adding in strength training will show a lot of change in your body but not neccessarily on the scale.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1lb per week is a healthy loss. as you have a fair amount to lose, you could possibly get 1.5-2lb per week... so maybe a goal of 15lbs would be realistic?

get at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, eat as 'cleanly' as you can, have one treat meal a week so you dont feel deprived and get some exercise 6 days a week. try setting your calorie goal to lose 1.5lb per week, see how many cals that gives you.

edit to add: make sure you NET 1200 cals per day
  • phillips0911
    Options
    That really depends. You aren't supposed to lose more than 2lb per week. So, it would be about 20 pounds. However, when you first get started you can lose a bit more because you're going to have a lot of water weight coming off. My best advice is to make a plan and stick to it. Try to make sure you eat at least 1200 calories a day. Stay active and you may surprise yourself.

I have friends who have lost about 50 pounds in two months in a healthy way, but they had a bit more to lose and completely changed there lifestyle.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Fifteen to twenty pounds is certainly possible. A very low carb diet can be most effective for short term weight loss. Then go into a regular diet after that.

Working out hard will improve your looks even faster. Strength training in particular will show you very fast results in terms of looking better.

10-20 pounds and strength training will make your face and upper body look great.

Look - it's a wedding. You obviously want to look beautiful. But you will look beautiful - he fell in love with you the way you are, right? Find a dress that looks great on you the way you look now. Show off your new thin face and bust and arms. Buy a dress with a big skirt and ignore your hips.

Enjoy the parties around the wedding.

And keep losing weight afterwards. A wedding is just one day. Healthy weight is a lifetime.
  • shianneerin
    Options
    Thanks a lot. I am currently doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and I walk 2 hours a day pushing the stroller. I think I am going to set my goal for 15 pounds, and if I can do more, great. :)
    I am more worried about toning my arms at the moment as my dress really hides my belly and legs.
    1 more question, I eat more veggies than fruit. Should I eat less veggies and more fruit? Or stick with what I am doing?
    Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the advice!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Stick with what you are doing, as long as most of the veggies are non starchy stuff... See if you can throw in a few reps each night with a little heavier weights that what you use for JM - squats, lunges, bicep & tricep curls - just an added 15 mins would make a huge difference...
    And DO NOT get stuck on the numbers, take measurements instead...
    Have fun!
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    All the diet advice is great. I will add try to eat little to no carbs after lunch and drink plenty of water!!!

If you want to tone arms heres what I did. A few months before my wedding i started doing push ups (i started with girl pushups on my knees but would try and do atleast 1 or 2 real ones and increased it as I could). I used 100 push up challenge you can google it. My arms look great in all my pics even though i wasnt at (or even close to) my goal weight.. gl!
  • thergj
    thergj Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss can be up to 4 pounds a week but i would agree that 15 - 20 in 10 weeks is reasonable and very achievable. Any more than 4 pounds tends to lead to rebound weight gain.

As far as veggies vs. fruit, which ever keeps your calorie count down is ok. Fruit tends to have more sugar but pound for pound i haven't found them to be a significantly higher source of calories than my vegetables. That's just my personal opinion.