Cold Weather Running

Options
So I did my first cold weather run the other night and I'm not sure if I enjoyed it....brrrr. (It was only -1 deg. C)

I started out nice and toasty then got cold when I went outside...was melting from being too hot about halfway through the run and then just about froze to death when I stopped....run was about 5K in total.

I had on:

Fleece pants on bottom and regular socks in shoes
Long sleeve cotton undershirt, fleece hoodie, thick down-filled vest
Forehead/ear warmer headband

Any tips or suggestions for staying warm and still being able to have the mobility to run? It can get to be about minus 20 deg. C here.

Thanks MFP peeps!

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Fleece and Cotton would be a place to start. They don't breathe at all.

Light layers that breathe and easy to shed if you need to.

It can get -20F where I live. Some like running in the cold some don't...personally I don't.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! Keep up the running. The key is layers...you can always take some off! Healthy body temperature for running in any weather is 70 degress. Keep that in mind. Also people tend NOT to hydrate well when it's cold out.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps! VERY much appreciated and I'll check out the supplied links!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    From Runners World Magazine:

50 degrees F and up:
    Bottoms: consider longer cut short than you'd wear in summer or capris
    Tops: long sleeve technical shirt or short sleeve shirt w/ arm warmers + thin vest
    Add: light weight baseball cap style hat

35-50 degrees F
    Bottoms: capris or 3/4 length tights or long tights or pants
    Tops: layer 2 long sleeve shirts or wear one long sleeve with a breathable wind or water proof jacket, a thicker vest or thin mid layer
    Add: wicking beanine and thin gloves

20-35 degrees F
    Bottoms: brushed tights or pants; consider a pair of wool underwear. wear socks high enough to cover any exposed skin
    Tops: Double up on long sleeve shirts, or wear a long sleeve shirt with a thin mid layer and thin jacket or heavier version of either
    Add: beanie hat, thicker gloves and sunglasses to protect your eyes from chilly wind gusts (consider clear lenses on cloudy days)

0-20 degrees F
    Bottoms: brushed, insulated tights or pants made of wind and water blocking fabrics
    Tops: long sleeve shirt tucked into your bottoms and/or a midlayer that zips up to protect your neck, plus an insulated jacked. Long socks
    Add: a scarf or "gaiter" around your neck that you can pull over your chin and mouth. A warm beanie that covers you ears. Thick gloves that fit snugly. Sunglasses

Below 0 degrees F
    Stay inside..hit the treadmill! :smile:
  • mnmomto4
    mnmomto4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post. I was wondering the same thing. Running my first 8K on thanksgiving in minnesota. I think I might need to do so shopping :)
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to run in the cross country team when I was in college in Minnesota. We used to joke that as long as you had warm socks and a warm hat, you could practically run naked! :embarassed: One of the guys used to run in shorts and a t-shirt, with warm socks and a hat.

I wouldn't recommend doing that, but good socks and a hat are a great place to start. Gloves, too, since it always seemed to me that my extremities got the coldest since all the blood was focused on being in my torso. You'll want to have the layer closest to your body one that doesn't hold the sweat close to your skin, so find a "wicking" t-shirt as your bottom-most layer. The sweat is what's going to get you really cold. You're goal will probably be to dress so you're a little cold as you get started and cold when you're finished, but comfortable when you're running. Before and after your run, you can throw on warmer clothes, but you won't want to be too hot while out there. So, basically, what everybody else is saying about the layers. Layers are good.

The cold air on my lungs were what used to bother me the most, so I had a head cover that went over my mouth (not a scarf because I didn't want to be breathing in fibers, but something else) and that helped me a lot. I used to love running in the middle of winter -- it's so quiet and beautiful with the snow. But it takes a little bit of getting used to -- the top of my thighs were always freezing when I got home, but hopping into a hot shower afterward was heavenly.

It's been a long time since I've been running in the cold, though (I moved to Georgia and South Carolina about 6 years ago), so it'll be interesting to see what other people say.

Good luck!
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others on losing the cotton and fleece - go with something made for running/fitness. The fabrics they use tend to pull the sweat away from your skin so that you don't start to freeze as soon as you stop! Other than that - a hat (same rules as the clothes - no cotton) and some good socks and gloves.
  • nnoifeld
    nnoifeld Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate this too, because I will begin training for my first half marathon in a few weeks. Previously I have done most of my runs inside on the treadmill at the gym, but will be branching out, getting in the cold! omg!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    bump =]
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    From Runners World Magazine:

50 degrees F and up:
    Bottoms: consider longer cut short than you'd wear in summer or capris
    Tops: long sleeve technical shirt or short sleeve shirt w/ arm warmers + thin vest
    Add: light weight baseball cap style hat

35-50 degrees F
    Bottoms: capris or 3/4 length tights or long tights or pants
    Tops: layer 2 long sleeve shirts or wear one long sleeve with a breathable wind or water proof jacket, a thicker vest or thin mid layer
    Add: wicking beanine and thin gloves

20-35 degrees F
    Bottoms: brushed tights or pants; consider a pair of wool underwear. wear socks high enough to cover any exposed skin
    Tops: Double up on long sleeve shirts, or wear a long sleeve shirt with a thin mid layer and thin jacket or heavier version of either
    Add: beanie hat, thicker gloves and sunglasses to protect your eyes from chilly wind gusts (consider clear lenses on cloudy days)

0-20 degrees F
    Bottoms: brushed, insulated tights or pants made of wind and water blocking fabrics
    Tops: long sleeve shirt tucked into your bottoms and/or a midlayer that zips up to protect your neck, plus an insulated jacked. Long socks
    Add: a scarf or "gaiter" around your neck that you can pull over your chin and mouth. A warm beanie that covers you ears. Thick gloves that fit snugly. Sunglasses

Below 0 degrees F
    Stay inside..hit the treadmill! :smile:

If I wore that much clothing at those temperatures, I would melt into a puddle.

You are an experiment of one. Try different combinations to see what works for you. I find that if I keep my head and hands warm, then I'm good to go. Shorts down into the 20s.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    thanks for this post. I was wondering the same thing. Running my first 8K on thanksgiving in minnesota. I think I might need to do so shopping :)

It'll probably still be in the mid 30's if not 40 here. Not really that cold IMHO.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I run in cold weather running clothes. I have Nike therma-fit leggings and a Hind cold gear long sleeve shirt. I also have an ear warmer and gloves. I think I will probably have to add a neck warmer for my longer runs but as of now I am pretty toasty during the run. I also hear Under Armour has nice gear for cold weather running too but I dont have any of my own yet.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Ditch the cotton in favor of a wicking fabric that pulls moisture away from your skin and dries quickly. Gloves, a hat or earwarmer/headband are things that can be removed if you get too warm, and put back on if you get chilly during cool down. Half-zip tops are great for being able to unzip as you get warm as well. The only fleece I've ever worn for a cold run was a light fleece vest - of course I live in California, so we don't get the super cold temps some of you do, but I did have some near-freezing morning runs last season!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    When I run in the cold, my throat gets dry and hurts a bit and I think I caught a soar throat last night from it. I think I might use a scarf or something.... idk, i just dont want to look ridiculous
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You were wearing too much. This caused you to sweat a lot during the run which madee you very cold when you stopped.

Wear less. You are supposed to be cold at the start and relatively comfortable while running.

Don't wear cotton next to the skin. It holds the water and makes you really cold when you stop.
  • hummus40
    Options
    i run in shorts until it gets a WINDY 32 or less...my tops are layered for easy removal...i keep eye wear on so that my eyes don't water...basically it all ends up coming off...these are for RUNS that are longer than the 30 minutes

i like the arm bands b/c i can take them off easier while i am running :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yup, you were way overdressed.

This morning when I went out it was about -6°C here in Ottawa. I wore a tech tee under my running shell, a pair of tights and gloves. I was chilly to start with but once I was warmed up I was very comfortable. Because the tech tee wicks away perspiration I wasn't chilly when I stopped to do my post-run stretches.

The trick to really cold weather running is to dress in light layers and you should be a bit chilly at the start of your run. (Cotton is not your friend, especially in winter)

If you dress properly running outside all year 'round can be very enjoyable.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I've heard a rule of thumb that you should dress for 20 degrees (F) warmer than it is outside (if you were just standing around). So if it's 30F outside, you'd dress for 50F. Just standing around in 50F weather I'd need long pants (but not super thick), a tshirt (but not cotton), and a thin long sleeved top. I like to start with a hat, but my ears get cold because I don't have much hair.

I have a lot of trouble with wind - a windy day at 30F and I'll make it a thick long sleeved top, thicker pants, and put a wind breaker on, and wear gloves or mittens. But I loathe being cold (and I loathe the wind). When it's below 20 and windy, I start wearing some of my heavier duty socks, long undies, and my biking jacket (I bought a bicycle police jacket from an online supply store - everything but the "POLICE" lettering, including cop vents, cop pockets, cop elastic, and cop zip off sleeves, cop removable liner - best purchase ever).
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I like to run when it is a little chilly out.. but when its too cold the cold air hurts my throat and lungs :( so I run on treadmill when it gets too cold. but if you like running in the cold I would recommend layers that you can peel when you need to and put back on when you stop - I usually take some kind of zip up running jacket that I tie around my waist when I get too hot.