Totally Random - For the Moms and Dads

Options
2»

Replies

• daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Best thing I got was clothes that were for when he was bigger. My son was born in April and one friend got me a snow suit that fit him in December. Another got me an assortment of sizes of shirts and outfits. Loved when he was going into 9 month clothes and I knew I had something already in the closet for him. Biggest thing is get something that isn't season specific (for example onesies that can be worn under clothes in the winter or alone in the summer) My little guy outgrew a lot of things before he had a chance to wear them because he grew so fast.
  • aadutton
    Options
    Never used the Diaper Genie, ever. Or the changing table pad very often. Could have done without both. Got way too much Desitin.

Returned the bottle warmer. A cup of hot water works fine.

Best thing I got that I never would have thought of -- you can buy these round soft mat things that lay on the floor for the baby to lay on. Ours had a bear head, hands and feet and then looked like a baseball. I got a pink giraffe one for my niece. We loved them. Just a nice alternative for a place for the baby to hang out. We used them constantly.

Not having to buy diapers for a couple months, with twins, was also amazing!

Edited to say...you can actually see they're laying on it in my pic.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    a big bottle of Jack Daniels.

man, oh man, i wish someone gave me that.

i wish someone would give me that right now, actually.
  • Tambookie
    Tambookie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    YES
    Gift cards for a baby store or general retailer like Wal-mart
    Triple Paste and Aquaphor - two of the best diaper rash treatments available
    Rattles/newborn toys
    A cute and comfortable outfit
    Anything on the registry

NO
    Diapers/wipes - found out my baby was allergic to certain brands
    Blankets - I think we were given about 40 receiving blankets and 10 fluffy or handmade blankets
    Bottles - not useful for breastfeeding moms, even bottle-feeding moms need to decide which is best. We went through 4 types before finding the ones that worked for us.
    Frilly dresses or anything impractical. Our daughter never even wore half the dresses because they were so impractical. She lived in sleepers though.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Diapers/ Wipes ( we use cloth but when we are traveling we use disposable so even cloth users still need dispoable now and then)
    GIFT CARDS!!!
    Registry List Items

There are so many personal prefrences when it comes to babies and baby care. So sometimes more generic items are better.
    Also I like to include some sort of treat for the mommy (i.e. a favorite candy bar or drink or a lotion she really likes.)
  • sempertracy
    sempertracy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love taking pictures but only had a film camera until my mother in law bought me a wonderful digital SLR camera which was top of the line 7 years ago. She lives out of state and it makes (I still use it) taking and sending pictures much more fun! Best gift ever and it was pricey!
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Gas Mask
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Wish I would have got more diapers & Onesies! I had an over abundance of lotions, oils and beanies! lol
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    an activity mat- wouldnt have purchased it myself but came in really handy!
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Swaddle blankets are awesome! Diapers are never a bad gift, at my shower the table decor were diapers, and till this day i have only had to buy a box of size 2.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Id buy them a gift card if your not sure. They can buy what they need then :-) I know when i had my daughter people were buying too many clothes in the same size, but a few people gave us gift cards so we were able to buy whatever we needed. I think we just bought loads of nappies with ours though!!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Don't get blankets. I got a TON of blankets and it was such a waste.

My biggest advice is to buy stuff from the registry. So many people wanted to get or make cute things like blankets for the baby, that I didn't get the essentials that we truly needed. Barely anything on my registry was purchased. While I appreciated each and every gift. I couldn't return 10 homemade blankets to get the things I needed, KWIM? So I will always and forever buy off the registry - the things on there are the things the parent NEEDS and put on the list for a reason. :)
    Exactly. I always buy diapers. You know for sure they will get used. Also, if something was on my registry, most likely I had researched that item and it fit with my plans. I choose it for a specific reason. Dont make substitutions.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i would suggest a sleep sack - which is basically a blanket without arms that zips up on the baby. They are really cool in that they usually have a zipper that opens from the bottom or top, so you don't have to totally undress the baby for an early morning diaper change :-) i used these with both of my boys (now ages 7 & 6) because once they get past the swaddling stage, they needed cover but of course i wouldn't put blankets in their cribs for fear they would pull it over their faces. i've seen some very cute prints for both genders & start at size 0-6 months, then go up from there. They also make this type of blanket with cutouts for the buckles of an infant car seat if you live in an area that gets cool weather. (Even though i'm in Florida, i still used these b/c my guys never wanted to keep cover on them in the car seat.)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Johnny Jump-up!
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Best gifts, diapers, wipes, toiletries, diaper genie, changing pad, crib sheets and protector, some clothes. (you know stuff I actually had on my registry :) )

Stuff I ended up returning:
    bottle warmer
    wipes warmer
    newborn and 0-3 months clothes (got wayyyy too many)
    swaddling blankets (we used them, but we were given way too many and had to keep the the hand made ones)

A couple of things that would have been nice gifts but I bought on my own:
    A collage picture frame of every month from birth through one year
    A scrap book of baby's first year
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Diapers, wipes, baby tylenol, baby thermometer,gas drops,sleepy time bath and lotion. Someone gave me a case with all this stuff and I was so happy because I needed all these items and did not realize how handy it would be having the meds there and not having to run out to get them. Also, I had a c-section and could not get around well when I got home. I wished somebody would have given me a coupon to cook us a meal or bring us one because we liked to have starved the first few days home. Food gift cards or a promise of a meal brought would be an excellent idea.