THE GROUND IS LAVA ~!

Options

Replies

• ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've never told anyone this, but I'm on kind of a stone age kick lately. When I'm walking, I pretend that I'm going to gather grains or something so I can feed my tribe through the winter, or if I want to walk briskly (I never run--blech) I pretend that the cave elder is sick and desperately needs the roots I just gathered to survive.

I'm so embarassed to have put that on the interwebs. :/

I like it! Have you ever read the Clan of the Cave Bear series?

I'm usually focused on time or distance so I'll talk myself into going another minute or getting to a certain spot. Most of the time I'm able to keep pushing past but on bad run days at least I can console myself with the fact that I met the goal. Love the lava idea and may use it myself sometime - or at least get a chuckle out of it when it comes to me. :)

OMG I'M OBSESSED WITH THE CAVE BEAR SERIES. I spend a lot of time pretending to be Ayla in my mind. That's my deepest secret and I just confessed it to you. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I hate walking around other runners, too. "I'm just as good as you! *Huff puff*"
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Can I just say... auroranflash... thank you so much for this thread. You rule so hard.

cat_love_thread.jpg
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When I read the title of this thread I thought we would be talking about the game some of us played as kids. Jumping from one couch to another as to not touch the lava (floor). Using throw pillows as stepping stones ect. Hahaha
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in a park in Ohio, and you see a very tall, big guy "running" very slowly saying out loud, "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running" in a Dori like voice......Make sure you say hello to me.
    Cutest thing ever!!!
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When someone in my family yells "floor's lava!" everyone screams and jumps up on the nearest piece of furniture. Mama included. :tongue:

I have re-labeled my weapons kata workout as "Dismembering Imaginary Foes" so that I really give it my best effort. I fight dragons, demons, zombies, mean ugly guys... sound effects included.

Hahahaha Yes this... Love it!! Cracking me up with the "sounds effects included" lol
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When I read the title of this thread I thought we would be talking about the game some of us played as kids. Jumping from one couch to another as to not touch the lava (floor). Using throw pillows as stepping stones ect. Hahaha

That's the general idea! Only, somehow, our running shoes are temporarily heat resistant and we can run OVER the lava, but we can't slow down... if we do, our legs will melt away into meat sticks and we'll be earth food. :laugh:

Anything to keep us moving, right? Plus it's good training for when strangers are around or you get an eerie feeling like you really MAY need to run away from some real danger. You have to make sure you're going to be able to get yourself to safety as best you can. Sometimes I run at night ... cars driving by give me the willies and I always keep a keen eye out, no earbuds in, so I can be aware of my surroundings. I need to be able to book it, whether away from lava or creepos. :drinker:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've never told anyone this, but I'm on kind of a stone age kick lately. When I'm walking, I pretend that I'm going to gather grains or something so I can feed my tribe through the winter, or if I want to walk briskly (I never run--blech) I pretend that the cave elder is sick and desperately needs the roots I just gathered to survive.

I'm so embarassed to have put that on the interwebs. :/

I like it! Have you ever read the Clan of the Cave Bear series?

I'm usually focused on time or distance so I'll talk myself into going another minute or getting to a certain spot. Most of the time I'm able to keep pushing past but on bad run days at least I can console myself with the fact that I met the goal. Love the lava idea and may use it myself sometime - or at least get a chuckle out of it when it comes to me. :)

OMG I'M OBSESSED WITH THE CAVE BEAR SERIES. I spend a lot of time pretending to be Ayla in my mind. That's my deepest secret and I just confessed it to you. :)

You are so getting a friend request! I finished the series earlier this year and was so sad when it was over! Ayla's a pretty good role model - she's smart and strong! In case you haven't finished the books I won't say anymore. Probably shouldn't keep hijacking this thread either. LOL!
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Oh *kitten* here she comes! Dammit she is catching up, faster you turd faster!! You have 5 seconds before she gets you and wants her money. Hurry, 4 seconds! Watch out for the car! Leap the hood are you crazy, just run around it, it's faster trust me. Oh Damn 2 seconds.... 1 second!!! Quick jump into the bushes!!! AWESOME!! A flying leap into the bushes just as I realize I was on a treadmill and now flying toward a closest door. BANG!! safe at last.

Ya I just run and listen to music.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! ... Running from your ex-wife! Priceless!

Ya, ex-wife, we'll go with that. Although I don't know her name. :wink:
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    im still very new at this endurance/discipline thing so there are "games" i have to play. reading some of yours is very helpfull so thanks.

1) listening to my music so i dont focus on the slow tick of the seconds on the machine. (challange, to not look during songs only in between songs...)
    2) numbers games like some have mentioned, but i like to think in fractions that make the journey go by in incremental victories (the timer says 5:00 and my goal is twenty minutes continuous thats 1/4 then im like well do that again and you are 1/2)
    3) i lie to my self and tell myself im only going to go for 5 more mninutes but then when i get there i re-assess and realize i need to continue on to my ultimate goal.
    4) push to improve on yesterdays time/pace by even the tiniest increments. i call this "ratcheting increments" because if i could do twenty minutes the day before then i certainly can do it today...then i say to myself, why not jst go for one more minute....
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I totally pretend I'm a spy and am running from bad guns or bombs. Haha. I even have the James Bond and Mission Impossible themes on my playlist. Those are my oh crap! I gotta move music. Otherwise the man with the golden gun wins. Again. Lol. I was once run and had to stop and practice my ninja moves. People saw. It was pretty embarrassing.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    today as I was running past a field with tall grass at 5:15 am, I played the "I know someone is in there waiting to grab me, so I need to run past this field instead of walk past it..." . I pretty much play that game my entire run since it's so dark out now....

Not really a game... probably true... ;-) ... enjoy your walk now :P
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I totally pretend I'm a spy and am running from bad guns or bombs. Haha. I even have the James Bond and Mission Impossible themes on my playlist. Those are my oh crap! I gotta move music. Otherwise the man with the golden gun wins. Again. Lol. I was once run and had to stop and practice my ninja moves. People saw. It was pretty embarrassing.

Dude, I have a bunch of Zelda soundtracks on my ipod that I play while I'm working on stuff. So awesome.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Dude, I have a bunch of Zelda soundtracks on my ipod that I play while I'm working on stuff. So awesome.

I have the System of a Down cover of the Zelda song on mine. It always makes me want to go home and play video games.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    When I am running I pretend I am one of those characters in a role playing game running around trying to complete a mission, but instead of their strength, stamina, and experience points increasing it is my own.

When I am doing a cardio/strength training session I see each event or excersize as a level in a game and to get to the next level I must get to the door at the end of the level and go through it. I keep reminding myself that if I want to see what is on the next level I must continue and challenge myself to go forward and see how far I can get. In this game there are no shortcuts, you must battle through each level to get to the next. Also each time I complete and start over I raise the difficulty setting. :D
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Although I totally thought this was going to refer to the game we played when we were children!

It sort of does. I just have ulterior (fitness) motives now. :laugh: Trying to make being an adult suck a little less.

This is always admirable. I'm not a runner yet, but I like have a whole Zelda-themed system to track my goals. It makes doing adult things nerdy and awesome.

TELL ME MORE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/nerdyandilikeit/view/the-legend-of-bron-423231

My life has changed.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    numbers games on machines; even numbers on all aspects time, distance, calories, etc. percentages, figuring out how long the next stretch will take me.

I also can't get hit by leaves blowing around in the wind. I either have to dodge them, catch them, or squash them, points awarded accordingly

act out/emote the lyrics of whatever song is on or in my head

one more mailbox/lamppost
  • shannysgirl
    Options
    No games (though I love the lava idea) but when I want to quit, I'll think to myself "is it my legs or my mind?". 99.9999% of the time it's my mind...so I keep going.

I ask myself this too!

I also imagine that my kids are cheering me on, or that I have to run to my kids for some reason and I REALLY have to get there.

For some reason I've also found that listening to e-books helps me to run longer than just playing music because I always seem to tell myself I can take a walk break when the song ends.
  • kekevela
    kekevela Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I play games to keep motivated, too! Usually I'll "race" the person on the elliptical/treadmill next to me. I go to a gym right across the street from where I work, so if a coworker is there it's even better motivation.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you are ever in a park in Ohio, and you see a very tall, big guy "running" very slowly saying out loud, "Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running" in a Dori like voice......Make sure you say hello to me.

That's hilarious...I love Dory :)