Help I need a weight lifting program that will work!

Options
Currently I lift three times a week for 30-40 minutes. I start out with a 3 ½ mile run followed by three lifts then ¼ mile sprint to keep up my heart rate. I am seeing results, but I know I could see more if I lifted more. Does anyone have a good upper body routine that they have seen good results with? I’m a marathoner so my legs are already very strong and defined. I have access to free weights and some machines, but I prefer free weights.
Currently my routine is (I’m not sure I’m using the right names)
3 ½ mile run
¼ mile sprint 50 pushup, 25 dips, 25 assisted pull-ups
¼ mile sprint Curls, lawnmowers, and back flys
¼ mile sprint seated over the shoulder Y, shoulder shrugs, lawnmowers with my elbow out
¼ mile sprint fly-press-revers curl, straight arm lifts (front and side), overhead triceps extension
¼ mile sprint laying down isolated triceps extension, chest fly, seated curls,
¼ mile sprint lat pull down (front and back), seated curls (machine), chest fly (seated)
¼ mile sprint standing pull downs with rope, standing triceps pull downs, standing front pull downs
¼ mile sprint bench press, triceps kickbacks, overhead triceps extension
½ mile sprint
I then do an ab workout over lunch
Ideas on what I should add? I’m willing to cut back on my running as I’m not training for a marathon now, but I still want the sprinting to build speed.

Any help is appreciated

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Good lifting programs don't neglect half the body
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    it depends on your goals.
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    In case you are looking for a program that has 12 weeks of weight lifting workouts already planned out for you, I highly recommend Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer on bodybuilding.com. Even if you don't use the program, it can still give you some great ideas!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to keep your heart rate up?

If you want an effective lifting program (for strength or hypertrophy), you don't do cardio in the middle. You do not have any leg work and this seems really long with too many lifts. Why so much tricep work? How many reps and sets are you doing?

Look into the programs out there like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Overhead press
    bench
    dips
    pull ups
    bent over row (pendlay style.)

if you can already squat double bodyweight, then by all means, forget the legs =p
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to keep your heart rate up?

If you want an effective lifting program (for strength or hypertrophy), you don't do cardio in the middle. You do not have any leg work and this seems really long with too many lifts. Why so much tricep work? How many reps and sets are you doing?

Look into the programs out there like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

Read it again. His legs are "very strong" from running marathons.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Stick to basic compound movements, pick one main movement for each muscle group, and do the same routine 2-3 times a week.

Don't sprint before you start lifting. Getting your heart rate up has nothing to do with muscle hypertrophy or strength training. Pick one goal for each workout and focus on that goal to get better results.

If your goal from a workout is to gain muscle/ strength, focus on that. Another day you can do sprints and work on your endurance. So you can do strength training 2 days a week and on another 2 days you can work on endurance/ sprints.

If you really feel like you have to do cardio on strength training days, I would stick with steady paced, low-moderate intensity cardio (like brisk walking) and I wouldn't go over 25 mins MAX.

Here's an example of an effective upper body workout to do:

3 sets of inclined dumbbell press
    3 sets of dumbbell/ barbell rows
    3 sets of biceps curl
    3 sets of triceps push down
    3 sets of side lateral raises

Also forgot to mention to keep your rep range between 8 - 12 on most movements, especially the compound ones. Lateral raises is an exception, I would aim for 10 - 15 reps.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Good lifting programs don't neglect half the body

But bro, running makes my legs so big
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Ok- let me explain some more:

I'm a marathon runner that wants to get faster (hense the sprints) and I want to get leaner. I tend to do lighter weights with higher reps 12-15 each lift. (should I go heavy with less reps or stay light with higher reps?)

I have found that running wakes my body up and I lift better then just going in cold and lifting.

I do other exercises to help my legs, they are very solid now. I want my upper body to look more like my lower body. right now I look like a dough boy stole a weight lifter's legs.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    Ok- let me explain some more:

I'm a marathon runner that wants to get faster (hense the sprints) and I want to get leaner. I tend to do lighter weights with higher reps 12-15 each lift.

I have found that running wakes my body up and I lift better then just going in cold and lifting.

If your lifting is cold, you're doing it wrong. Warm up your muscles and joint before hand an lift with intensity, that should do. Doing sprints will eat into your muscle glycogen, prolong recovery times and decrease your ability to lift more weights.
  • nayers86
    Options
    I myself am a runner as well, and I have ridiculous leg muscles...especially considering I am a girl (my 6 day a week gym gonig boyfriend is jealous of my calf muscles) So I can understand your desire to avoid leg workouts, however, running doesn't work the muscles and by strengthening them (NOT building them) you would be doing yourself a favor as you would be less prone to injury and more than likely be able to increase endurance. I do minimal leg work, and when I do it, it's light weight. More or less, it's to get the muscles active and blood flowing. I would highly recommend you do some research on bodybuilding.com. That is where I have pulled my weight training program and am so incredibly happy with it. Modify and adjust until you find your fit....what works for one does not always work best for another. Best of luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your goals. I'd be surprised if marathoners (the real skinny types) do much if any lifting. However the really fast runners, you better believe they 'work legs.'
    Even swimmers work legs.
    Track cyclists squat like powerlifters.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your goals. I'd be surprised if marathoners (the real skinny types) do much if any lifting. However the really fast runners, you better believe they 'work legs.'
    Even swimmers work legs.
    Track cyclists squat like powerlifters.

I do some leg work as well, but that is not my focus.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're attempting to do here. The problem is you're on the wrong site. Everything on MFP is 5x5 or die here. I can't offer any real advice because although I have experience with the circuit training that you're doing here I don't have any experience of either marathon or speed/sprint training. The program you're doing seems fine as long as you're not expecting an significant size or strength gains, and I don't think you are.

Best to check with a specialized runners forum for this sort of thing, because we're just going to tell you to deadlift and squat or GTFO.