I need to STOP emotional eating! Tips?

Options
I've been doing good for the past 5 months, but something happened recently that's triggering my emotional eating. Getting to that point where you just don't care about calories and you want that temporary satisfaction.

Does anyone have any tips/ways of thinking that helps avoid this problem?

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I know how very difficult that is because I do the same. We have to keep in mind that we are in control of what we put into our mouths. It's not like somebody is tying us down and force-feeding us. Sometimes I find myself in the kitchen with the cabinets open and yell out loud "STOP!" Eating doesn't help, it only gives us something new to be miserable about. I'd rather only be miserable about one thing, wouldn't you?
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I try to find something else that will make me feel better. I really love to listen to music and daydream, so if I feel a binge coming on, I go for a walk with my iPod. I don't try to go for a burn or anything like that, just a nice, leisurely walk with some music. It almost always makes me feel better, and if I DO still feel like having some candy, I've just burned 100 - 200 calories and can have it. Win-win. :)

If I simply cannot get over the desire to eat everything in sight, though, I try to pick something low-cal but yummy. Popcorn is my favorite. I can eat a HUGE bowl of popcorn and satisfy that desire to munch munch munch for only 108 calories.
  • BellaNoel87
    BellaNoel87 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of emotional eating at night I am a night owl and I think about my day and watch tv and make myself feel better:( I have recently started going to bed earlier/ reading to occupy my mind or going on here for times when I really feel tempted...Sometimes I log on here to many times to count and look at success stories and it keeps me strong that and drinking water/ eating a piece of fruit:)
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help you but it helps me. I have one cheat meal every week. It can be ANYTHING! Knowing that I have a cheat coming up soon helps me to hold out and keep on track. I also allow myself Friday, Saturday, or Sunday to cheat. I just pick a day and meal according to my cravings.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone you can talk to about your worries. I find that usually helps.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    When I get to where I'm craving anything I can cram into my mouth because I want to soothe my emotions, I drink water. Then I find something that will keep my hands busy and my mind from going in circles. (I knit, crochet, do puzzles, go for walks, call a friend who will talk me past it or even go and throw rocks in the ocean.) If you have a dog, put a leash on it and take it for a walk, throw a ball with it, or groom it. Even just petting a pet will occupy your hands and mind long enough for something like a need to feed your emotions to pass.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Find a new outlet for your emotions. Kickboxing is FANTASTIC, punching the crap out of a punching bag helps too.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Stop buying foods that you over-snack on and replace them with healthier alternatives.

Emotional eating won't be such a big deal if you're scarfing down baby carrots and sugar snap peas. :wink:
  • kimbolay7
    kimbolay7 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hate this... I went through a time when I was really hung up about this guy, just wanted to eat chocolate and ice cream! I found chatting to close friends helped as well as replacing foods, instead of chocolate id slice up an apple or eat blueberries, or make a smoothie! I actually really like fruit and veg, so it's making sure you have a good selection in the house! If not, take a walk to clear your head, and buy some healthy snacks! Double whammie! Walks always help me to clear my head when I'm feeling down and just wanna lye on the sofa and comfort eat! If you ever wanna message me/add me as a friend feel free! :)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    So true; I forgot to add that once I stop myself in the kitchen, I find something else to do. Letting the dog take me for a walk is an excellent diversion from emotional eating.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    This website is chock full of help for emotional eating, in fact, it is the entire focus of the site. Highly recommended.

http://www.shrinkyourself.com/?v=60&bhcp=1
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Notice that only woman, other than myself responded to you. I think most men, not all, are out of touch with their emotion, or just in plain denial.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, meditation will help with this. Setting aside a little time everyday to be quiet helps with a lot of our destructive habits. Simply set an egg timer, sit down in a chair and follow your breath. Breath in, breath out. When your attention drifts, notice that, and return to following the breath. Don't concern yourself results. Just do it daily and see what happens.

Of course, counseling can help too, if the problem is very serious.

Good luck!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Notice that only woman, other than myself responded to you. I think most men, not all, are out of touch with their emotion, or just in plain denial.
    Different people deal with emotion differently! I'm female, and when I get severely stressed, I just want to curl up in a corner and not do anything. My appetite dies.
  • djskouge
    djskouge Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't had an emotional binge since April...UNTIL THIS PAST WEEK! I dove right into the carbs scene w/o taking a deep breath first...hence, the bloat, the headache, the sugar spike, the guilt, etc...I have learned that if "IF you fail to plan, you plan to fail." That is sooooo true for me...I had learned to do deep breathing, short slow paced walks, or mindless household chores when that urge envelopes me...but I pushed it all aside one day cuz I was tired of the "routine"...I wanted to change it up....like I hear at meetings, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results...I thought since I had it "made" since April ONE time will not hurt, but I also KNOW that one bite is too many and a thousand will not be enough! Like ChancyW said.."have one cheat meal every week" so you do not feel deprived..I have also taped to my cupboards and fridge...STOP! Nothing new in here since the last time you looked! Also, try chewing gum...wearing a rubberband on your wrist to play with to wile away the moments...and when all else fails...take a nap!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    1. get your emotions under control or learn more efficient ways to deal with things.

2. don't have foods in the house that are easy to binge on
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've been doing good for the past 5 months, but something happened recently that's triggering my emotional eating. Getting to that point where you just don't care about calories and you want that temporary satisfaction.

Does anyone have any tips/ways of thinking that helps avoid this problem?

I have friends who say writing down their feelings helps. It's usually something completely unrelated to food and possibly filling the void with food, which won't fill it.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Bump. I'm doing the same thing. Been doing great since August, and then all of a sudden the last couple of weeks, I'm a train wreck with my eating.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For me riding my bike or going for a run puts my mind at ease, so does a punching back, or playing the guitar/piano, music is a gateway to emotional release, at least for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Different people deal with emotion differently! I'm female, and when I get severely stressed, I just want to curl up in a corner and not do anything. My appetite dies.
    exactly, i tend to be a problem solver rather than a problem keeper (which from what i understand many men are as well). so far me there is no such things as emotional or stress eating. i'm too busy trying to figure out how to solve the problem to let it fester