Psyllium Husk, its amazing, but ...

Options
How the hell are you supposed to consume a decent quantity of it ? :S

I know there are other things on the market like metamucil that does the same thing ... but besides it being "unnatural" it has stuff all fibre per serve than the husk by itself. Because it has been gummed up with sweetener and coloring etc ...

To put it in perspective .. 12 grams of metamucil nets 3 grams of fiber. Where as 12 grams of raw Psyllium Husk nets 9.5 grams of fiber.

Ok ... so raw Psyllium Husk is amazing. How the hell are you supposed to consume a decent amount of it ? Say 10 grams ?

This morning i tried mixing 10 grams of raw husk with some water and tried to drink it down ... which really didn't work, the texture and taste was terrible.

Ive also created and packed my own capsules with raw husk ... the thing is, one capsule nets about 1 gram of husk so to get the same amount id need to throw down 10 capsules a day. Which is a bit ridiculous really.

I also used to mix the husk in with my breakfast shake ... but after half an hour or so the shake pretty much turned into a thick shake ... and then into some weird yoghurt. So that didnt work

So ... just putting it out there to see if anyone has a method of taking a decent amount of this stuff ?

Cheers.

Replies

• mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Carb Zero Breads and Paleo Bread from Julian Bakery contain Pysllium and high protein and fiber per serving (1 slice). Also, it tastes good!!!
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Take spoon, put in jar then in mouth. 10 grams done
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Stir it into a smoothie or soup.

Or take it in capsule form.

Or just eat more vegetables!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Thus the existence of metamucil et al.

May not be your ideal, but you can actually get it down.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Why do you leave your breakfast shake lying around for half an hour? Doesn't protein powder turn to glue in less time than that? Always has for me. Usually after my morning workout I'll mix a shake of 300ml semi-skimmed milk, 50g whey powder, either 25g or 50g of ground oats depending on the intensity of my workout, 10g of psyllium husk, give it a good shake in a blender bottle (one of the ones with the funny whisk ball thing in) and drink it straight away. Works fine for me.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So then don't eat that much of it. Why do you think the commercial fiber supplements like metamucil only have 3 grams per serving? Why not just add a small amount (whatever is palatable to you) a couple of times a day and get the rest of your fiber from whole fruits, vegetables, beans/peas, and grains.

It makes no sense to force yourself to eat something that you don't like when the benefits associated with it are available in other food sources.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I add it to my home made protein bars and get it that way.
  • TheMolloy
    TheMolloy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies.

I guess that I forgot to add that I already do get plenty of fiber from fruits and vegetables in my diet ... but the, errrr ... expanding and cleaning effect of the husk is what im after. Its great ... but thats all that needs to be said about it really heh.

In the morning, I make up a shake with berries, protein powder, soy milk and oats ... and i drink it slowly on the way to work. But you might be onto somthing @Zomoniac ... maybe ill mix up the husk with protein powder and slam it down. Then mix up my berry smothie seperate ? And drink it on the way to work as normal.

I do also like the idea of baking with it as well.

All good ideas ... cheers again !
  • acduke74
    acduke74 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello!!!
    I mix a tbsp with my breakfast shake....however it does tend to thicken up. I periodically stir my shake to keep it from thickening. It helps. Just continue to stir & you will never know it's there.
  • robotgirl426
    Options
    Hi!
    So, I agree - omg this is terrible. My trainer has me on a ton of meat and veggies but no fruit right now (sugar) and tra la la I'm down almost 80lbs... but I'm after exactly what you're after Mr. Molloy... lol.

I mix 2 tbsp of it with about 3 or 4 oz of water and a mio flavor that I like.... I stir it and let it solidify... and I eat it... and in my head, I'm eating applesauce because that's what the consistency kind of reminds me off.

OR just stir it and just DOWN IT right away with only 2 or 3 oz of water. lol.

I hope this helps...
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I usually just slug it down in a large cup of water, but I don't mind the taste. To change things up, sometimes I'll mix it into enough warm water to make a "porridge" with honey or sugar, and eat it quickly before it turns to rubber. I grew up on Malt-O-Meal, so to me it's similar.