Making food stamps last

Options

Replies

• LilMissImperfect
    Options
    MissyJessy you have also been reported a 2nd time for this comment
    did you see the food stamp thread? some retard opened herself up to a world of nasty by saying that her and her boyfriend cant live off $350 a month in food stamps....

She then too admitted to trading food stamps for money....

Genious

On another thread that I frequent. You really need to control your attitude, and be less mean and more supportive! At lease there's REAL people on here giving me ideas for grocery lists/recipes etc. I'm thankful to everyone that has sent me a message with ideas =) Thanks guys!
  • marissajeanne
    marissajeanne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Buy bulk beans, rice, etc. Make big pots of chili beans and rice pilaf for cheap

This! Beans are cheap and healthy, and there's countless meals you can make with them.
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    Here are some tips for you. My family used to be on food stamps as a child, so I know what it's like.

1) Always buy store-brand. I found that it was usually half the price of the actual brand and tasted exactly the same.
    2) Buy fresh fruits and vegetables at a farmer's market instead of the supermarket. I don't know about the ones around you, but my farmer's market actually accepts food stamps.
    3) Buy bulk of whatever type of meat that is on-sale and store it in your freezer for future dinners.
    4) Buy dried beans and rice! Very cheap, and there's lots of different ways to make beans.
    5) Use coupons! Try to get as much money off as you can get.

Those are the only suggestions I have for now, but if I think of any others, I'll definitely post them. Good luck.

Those are all awesome ideas. The farmers markets I went to around here didnt accept EBT, but I did find some international markets that had cheaper stuff in bulk and accepted them.
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    To save money on groceries, I've been utilizing freezer space! I stock up on my favorite frozen vegetables and meat when it's on sale.

Tilapia is a fairly inexpensive and versatile seafood item. I buy family size bags at Kroger for about $10 and there are enough filets in the bag for multiple meals for two people.

Try to avoid getting too many of the prepackaged meals like lean cuisines or healthy choices. Even on sale they really aren't the best bang for your buck.

Bagged rice and beans are incredibly cheap.

As far as fruits and vegetables go, I buy whatever produce is on sale when I'm there.

It is much cheaper to buy a whole head of romaine for salads than it is to buy the ready lettuce in a bag. Sometimes cheese that isn't shredded is cheaper than the already shredded bag. Being observant can save you a ton of money.

I was scared that I would have trouble losing weight while on a budget, but I spend less on food now than I ever have before. Good luck!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Wasn't aware if it was illegal, but thanks for the info though =) And to "cblevitron" you are right. If we didn't have the help, then I'd be looking for a shelter right now. Some people's situations are just different from others and they can't always understand, I don't judge other people and how they live their lives. I'm on this forum to support people and (hopefully) be supported in our weight loss and health journeys. That said, I'm seeing a lot of good ideas for money saving store trips. Thanks! I recently moved out of my parents house, and was used to them making all the right decisions at the grocery store. This is all new to me, POSITIVE support/feedback is appreciated :)

Question--
    If you're on the struggle bus this hard, why not just move back in with your parents, instead of living with an ex (confused on that, too, btw) who makes poor choices with your shared government subsidiary. And if he can afford an internet connection, then someone's priorities are way off.

As far as your job situation goes, I'd look into a seasonal position. You'd have to try really hard NOT to get hired at basically any retail chain between now and january. Just sayin'.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP,

1.) If you haven't already, please consider applying for disability benefits for your son. The money you receive is supposed to help offset costs of treatment, which would include his special diet and trips to doctors and therapists.
    2.) If you receive food stamps, I am guessing your son receives some form of Medicaid? Ask your son's doctor if he can prescribe any of the specialty food items. If your doctor can justify it, you have a shot of getting some of that covered like a medication. If he has to drink anything like Ensure, definitely push to have that prescribed.
    3.) If you don't already, keep track of any transportation expenses for medical appointments. Depending on your state and the allowed benefits, you may be able to get reimbursed for travel expenses.
    4.) Try signing up for a reputable survey site like Harris Poll. You can earn points that can be used toward things like Amazon gift cards. It won't get you enough on a regular basis, but if you have a few minutes here and there to spare, you can over time accrue points and use that gift card to buy some grocery items in bulk from Amazon (or other things you need.)
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Tilapia is a fairly inexpensive and versatile seafood item. I buy family size bags at Kroger for about $10 and there are enough filets in the bag for multiple meals for two people.

I am eating the Kroger tilapia right now :smile: and it is pretty good for what it is. No, it is not sea bass or fresh tuna or salmon steaks, but it is decent quality lean protien. I just spray a microwave plate with a little canola or olive oil, put two frozen fillets on it and microwave them for 5-6 minutes, covered with a paper towel. You can season them however you like, but I just eat mine plain and they are fine. (I pour the juice from the plate over cat food to give them a treat.)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I've heard some good things about Aldi, if you have one in your area.

Our local Aldi almost ALWAYS has a better selection of fresh produce for a MUCH better price!
  • jrbtsn
    jrbtsn Posts: 16
    Options
    bump
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    OP, make note of your favorite brands/products and set aside an hour or so one night to email them--

Tell them that you enjoy their product immensely and would like to buy more but are on a budget, and can they offer any coupons? 9 times out of 10 they will ask your mailing address and send you some ASAP-- I got free Sweet Leaf Tea and Muscle Milk just last week that way, as well as several $1 off coupons.
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Our local Aldi almost ALWAYS has a better selection of fresh produce for a MUCH better price!
    I love Aldi also but the OP said there wasn't one close to her.:(
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    Wasn't aware if it was illegal, but thanks for the info though =) And to "cblevitron" you are right. If we didn't have the help, then I'd be looking for a shelter right now. Some people's situations are just different from others and they can't always understand, I don't judge other people and how they live their lives. I'm on this forum to support people and (hopefully) be supported in our weight loss and health journeys. That said, I'm seeing a lot of good ideas for money saving store trips. Thanks! I recently moved out of my parents house, and was used to them making all the right decisions at the grocery store. This is all new to me, POSITIVE support/feedback is appreciated :)

Question--
    If you're on the struggle bus this hard, why not just move back in with your parents, instead of living with an ex (confused on that, too, btw) who makes poor choices with your shared government subsidiary. And if he can afford an internet connection, then someone's priorities are way off.

As far as your job situation goes, I'd look into a seasonal position. You'd have to try really hard NOT to get hired at basically any retail chain between now and january. Just sayin'.

Actually glad you simply asked. I am moving back in with them, they're driving out here in 2 weeks so I have to make due til then. I live a few states away and they have their own stuff to take care of so until then I'm here. And I have 2 jobs (my old one I left in April plus a new one) waiting for me when I get there so I'm super excited about that. I have permanent nerve damage so it's been hard finding a job here where I don't have to constantly stand (cashier, etc, can't do those types of jobs). But definitely looking forward to being back with my family! My ex does make poor choices with the card which is one of the reasons why I'm in such a pickle with it to begin with. It was nice to have the help while I needed it, but I'm pretty sure once I move it won't be needed :)
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't know what all stores you have around you, but I know that some Big Lots are now accepting food stamps.

Their food sections are really cheap and you can get a lot of name brand stuff at discounted prices. They have canned vegetables, canned meat, pasta, coffee, cereal bars, nuts, juice, seasonings, pancake mixes, flour, oatmeal, cereal, foreign imports like mexican beans, chinese noodles, edamame, oil, pasta, etc.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    I don't know what all stores you have around you, but I know that some Big Lots are now accepting food stamps.

Their food sections are really cheap and you can get a lot of name brand stuff at discounted prices. They have canned vegetables, canned meat, pasta, coffee, cereal bars, nuts, juice, seasonings, pancake mixes, flour, oatmeal, cereal, foreign imports like mexican beans, chinese noodles, edamame, oil, pasta, etc.

LOVE Big Lots. Unfortunately, very few of them will accept coupons. Just a heads up in case anyone was thinking of trying it.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    Aldi's is very cheap!! I would go there!!
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Actually glad you simply asked. I am moving back in with them, they're driving out here in 2 weeks so I have to make due til then. I live a few states away and they have their own stuff to take care of so until then I'm here. And I have 2 jobs (my old one I left in April plus a new one) waiting for me when I get there so I'm super excited about that. I have permanent nerve damage so it's been hard finding a job here where I don't have to constantly stand (cashier, etc, can't do those types of jobs). But definitely looking forward to being back with my family! My ex does make poor choices with the card which is one of the reasons why I'm in such a pickle with it to begin with. It was nice to have the help while I needed it, but I'm pretty sure once I move it won't be needed :)

Sounds like you will be on to bigger and better things :) Good for you :)
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Me and my ex-bf get only $350 a month for food stamps for BOTH of us. And it's almost impossible to make it work for the entire month, especially with healthy food which of course is more expensive than cheap processed crap. Most the time we have to dip into our savings/paychecks, get help from his parents, A couple months in a row i even just bought a months worth of slim fast ($40 each month) simply because we just didnt have the money for food. Seriously messed my stomach up drinking that stuff for that long.

Wow, $350/month is quite a bit for 2 people! My husband and I are not on food stamps (and don't judge those who are) and my husband is a successful university faculty member but we strictly budget each month. And we have 2 children. We budget $400/month for food and we eat very clean/healthy. We buy extra meat to freeze when it's on sale, we freeze veggies...I have lost 75 pounds by eating "cleaner" and don't feel like I've spent any more money than when we bought processed foods.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

PSS - Another edit. I'd like to add it's rare that we get to use the whole $350 to just the two of us anyway. We're so low on money all the time, we usually keep $150 then he gives the rest to his dad in exchange for help with a bill/utility. THAT'S how bad off I am. And no it's not by choice, I'm not lazy, I've been searching for a job since I moved to this lil town and do everything from odd jobs and babysitting just to get by.

^^ That is NOT what Food Stamps is for... and I'm fairly certain that constitutes welfare fraud.

Besides i dont think your THAT bad off... you have a roof over your head a person you love next to you and food in your belly... so you dont have all the materialistic crap and all the luxeries... your not homeless your not dieing (some people with major diseases that are bed ridden in hospitals would trade for your spot any day) and your not alone

I do agree that that would fall into welfare fraud :)

If she didn't reserve that 150 to offer in exchange for help with bills, she would probably become homeless, which would make your point invalid.

Sorry but i dont find internet to be a NEED :) Which since she is unemployed and can barely afford to live why does she have internet?

The internet isn't a need! It's a luxury. Like I said before, I realize there are people worse off than I am. As for the internet, my ex/roommate pays for that. It's available and I'm allowed to use it, so why is it an issue if he lets me? Also I wouldn't of been able to find a lot of the babysitting jobs I have to help get by without it.

I find it funny that people are on assistance from the government, but yet have inernet/cable which usually is around $50-100 bucks a month.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I find it funny that people are on assistance from the government, but yet have inernet/cable which usually is around $50-100 bucks a month.

My internet alone is $65 a month and its the standard internet, not super fast high speed stuff. We chose to drop the cable because everything we watch we can watch online.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Me and my ex-bf get only $350 a month for food stamps for BOTH of us. And it's almost impossible to make it work for the entire month, especially with healthy food which of course is more expensive than cheap processed crap. Most the time we have to dip into our savings/paychecks, get help from his parents, A couple months in a row i even just bought a months worth of slim fast ($40 each month) simply because we just didnt have the money for food. Seriously messed my stomach up drinking that stuff for that long.

$350 should be a breeze.
    You can buy bulk chicken breasts and lean ground beef. You can supplement your protein with eggs (breakfast for dinner) and beans. (think chili)
    You can build several complete filling dinner for 2 for less than 5$. This is _fifty_ meals, leaving $100 for stuff like milks, cheeses and misc. items needed for specific dishes. That's almost TWO MONTHS worth of dinners.

You can supplement your healthy carbs by buying bulk potatoes, unprocessed rice and pasta. A 5lb bag of potatoes is less than $5, especially russets. This is at least 10 servings. Processed packages will cost you more and are much higher in sodium and lacking in nutrients. They have sales here "10 for 10" ten sides, for ten dollars or I can spend $5 for 20 serving by buying unprocessed bulk rice/potato dishes.

Buying vegetables in bulk will save you a lot of money as well and keep things on the healthier side. Skip corn, peas and other useless stuff and go for nutrient rich.
    Buy bulk cheese when it's on sale. It's just two of you, you can wrap it in saran wrap in smaller bricks to keep it from going bad.

certain ethnic foods are low-cost, low cal, and dense.
    Stir fries, Italian and mexican to name 3.

Powdered milk for cooking is another budget stretcher.

non-instant oatmeal & cream of wheat makes the breakfast budget stretch. So is using eggs for breakfast casseroles. Save your extra chopped veggies and throw it in along with a bit of cheese. You can make a calcium & protein rich hot breakfast last a full week, for 2, for less than $10.

$350 shouldn't be too difficult unless you live in a ridiculously priced neighborhood.