Exercise after Heart Stent, How long did you wait ?

Options
Hey there,

Today makes exactly 2 weeks since having a Heart Stent put in my main Heart Artery and I was told I
could resume exercising again after 2 weeks so I thought I would try tonight and now after doing so
I feel strange. I just did some cardio and didn't really push myself.

I just wanted to know when other people started back to regular exercise after having a Stent put in ? Maybe I should
of waited a few more weeks ? I hope I didn't cause any damage by exercising. :sigh:

Thanks

Replies

• laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe try strength training before cardio to give your heart a break? How hard did you push yourself? My dad tried to do 2 miles on the treadmill after he had his bypass and was cleared, but he nearly passed out. Maybe start slower. And take care of yourself!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Maybe try strength training before cardio to give your heart a break? How hard did you push yourself? My dad tried to do 2 miles on the treadmill after he had his bypass and was cleared, but he nearly passed out. Maybe start slower. And take care of yourself!

I didn't push myself that hard, I did Bob Harpers Biggest Loser Power Walk - 1 Mile Walk and finished it but now thinking I should of waited a little bit longer :sigh: Just feeling some strange feelings in my right leg and thats the side they went in to place the Stent. I guess i'll have to start with regular walking instead :(
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

/endthread
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My Mom actually had a heart attack and when they stabilized her she had a stent put in. I remember she started with 10 minute walks and then when it became easier she did stationary bike... now shes healthy and walks normal pace but she doesnt like to do heavy cardio because shes scared about stressing the heart...I would get a stress test from your doctor to see how you react.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, so anyone else's experience on this site has nothing to do with yours. Talk to your doctor before doing anything else. He is qualified to help you with that decision. No one on here is.

Take care of yourself.
  • marceguerrero
    Options
    Your Cardiologist is the best source. I have had several stent procedures over the last 5 years, and after each one I waited 30 days before getting active. I suggest you "Google" a few cardio-rehab articles and get an idea of what are the available exercises that are safe after discussing an exercise regime w/your Cardiologist.

Give your body time to get used to your medications and recover from the procedure. Despite the non-invasive procedure there is still a healing process and its not the same for everyone.

If you feel good; then I see no need to NOT exercise when of course using precaution.

HOWEVER; IF YOU FEEL DIZZY, WINDED OR TIRED; STOP IT'S TOO SOON!!!

Walking is my primary exercise and its pretty easy to gauge intensity. Like other posters said; start with short distances and an easy pace. I do have a weight training regime also, but, on a personal note, was attacked also on the left-side (primary) and weight training is a little more intense than walking.

Take it slow; and Good Luck with exercise program.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Everyone is different, so anyone else's experience on this site has nothing to do with yours. Talk to your doctor before doing anything else. He is qualified to help you with that decision. No one on here is.

Take care of yourself.

I was just asking in general from others who have had Stents put in !!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Your Cardiologist is the best source. I have had several stent procedures over the last 5 years, and after each one I waited 30 days before getting active. I suggest you "Google" a few cardio-rehab articles and get an idea of what are the available exercises that are safe after discussing an exercise regime w/your Cardiologist.

Give your body time to get used to your medications and recover from the procedure. Despite the non-invasive procedure there is still a healing process and its not the same for everyone.

If you feel good; then I see no need to NOT exercise when of course using precaution.

HOWEVER; IF YOU FEEL DIZZY, WINDED OR TIRED; STOP IT'S TOO SOON!!!

Walking is my primary exercise and its pretty easy to gauge intensity. Like other posters said; start with short distances and an easy pace. I do have a weight training regime also, but, on a personal note, was attacked also on the left-side (primary) and weight training is a little more intense than walking.

Take it slow; and Good Luck with exercise program.

Thanks, I plan on finding out about doing some Cardio Rehab if possible, I didn't feel winded or dizzy or tired, just different is the only way I can explain. I so want to get back into a exercise routine but don't want to rush or risk. 30 days is probably a good time frame to wai on anything other then walking. I will ask my Dr on next Friday and see what he says and tells me i can do. Walking is better then nothing,

What about when it comes to lifting weights, even after a time period we have to be careful lifting ?
  • hpoddan
    hpoddan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I work for a group of cardiologists and you have to go at your own pace. Some people are ready in 10 days and some people aren't ready for a month or two. Please don't push yourself too hard :)
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything. Just anything with the heart is scary and I'd be super cautious. I hope you're 100% soon. The guy a couple of posts up seems to make a lot of sense.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consult your doctor.... this is actually something rather serious to be asking bunch of internet people who, for all we know, ate lead paint all their lives and didn't studied beyond 5th grade...
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    As a medical professional I recommend asking YOUR DOCTOR. This question should not be answered by anyone who doesn't know your medical history and extent of cardiovascular disease. Your welcome!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Since your doctor said to wait two weeks, and it has been two weeks, it sounds like you have the doc's OK to start moving.

Doing some mild activity is better than resting all the time. Walking is very safe, and it's something you can do frequently. A Power Walk DVD might not be the best choice to start, but you can certainly walk outside.

To reply to an earlier comment, strength training can be much harder on the heart than cardio. It is likely safe to do as well (modified at first) but it doesn't "rest" the heart.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not take the advice of random internet people in this case!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    I do NOT take advice from people here as Medical advice, I simply asked a question to those that have had Stents put in like i just experienced. Asking a general question does NOT mean I am going to use it as a Dr's advice, i am trying to just get some feedback and nothing more. I have a Heart Dr for that Lol, Thank you all for your concern. Having to go through the Stent procedure and now living with 1 is a new and scary experience so its nice to talk with others that are in the same category. I come from a family with major heart disease so I know a little bit about it.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consult your doctor.... this is actually something rather serious to be asking bunch of internet people who, for all we know, ate lead paint all their lives and didn't studied beyond 5th grade...

I totally studied beyond the 5th grade. I have a master's degree.... In computer science. So assuming her heart is software, and she's willing to publish the specifications, I'm totally qualified to advise her.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My situation was quite different, but I will tell you what I think. I had open heart surgery to bypass 5 clogged coronary arteries 4 1/2 yrs. ago. After surgery I had to wait 2 mos. before working out and that was cardiac rehab. I had a lot of people in that class that had stent placements. Their doctors told them to do the cardiac rehab. In that class they put leads on you while you workout so they can monitor your heart during workouts. I had to slow mine down a little due to throwing some funky rhythms. Others with the stent placements had the same problem. So, in conclusion, I would recommend checking out a cardiac rehab class in your area especially since you had adverse symptoms after working out. Ask you doctor about one, I am sure that he knows where you might find one. Please feel free to add me. I was a nurse before having a lot of health issues and becoming physically disabled.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

I totally studied beyond the 5th grade. I have a master's degree.... In computer science. So assuming her heart is software, and she's willing to publish the specifications, I'm totally qualified to advise her.

LOL
  • 1234phyllisp
    Options
    Going through the same feelings after heart attack and total of 4 stents placed, cardio rehab is probably the safest way to start, if that's not an option keep your ph. with you and on and start slow and steady, you will get back to your old self!!!!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

/endthread

this is the only answer. seriously.