Unconventional uses for common foods...

Options
2»

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    One time I was so broke I used oatmeal for cat litter...it was kinda sad and pathetic. Luckily those days are (mostly) over!
    Better than the other way around.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese as salad dressing!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Celery for baby teething
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Celery for baby teething

baby-watermelon.jpg
  • brokenhonu
    brokenhonu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    applesauce or pumpkin in place of the oil in baked goods like muffins, cakes and quick breads
  • Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I dissolve a halls cough drop in water and have menthol tea sometimes when my nose is stuffy.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    a pinch of cocoa powder or salt in coffee grounds when brewing a pot of coffee will cut the bitterness
    use a citrus peel on scuff marks on the floor or on a water spot on a wood table
    vinegar to clean shower heads, coffee makers and in the laundry to soften "scratchy" towels
    used coffee grounds in indoor planters to prevent gnats and other bugs
    chapstick on a light bulb/socket that gets stuck or is squeaky when you twist in the bulb
    cayenne pepper in the garden to keep the cats from using it as a litterbox
    water in a zip bag, inside a shoe that is tight....couple days in the freezer, no more tight shoe
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Avocados, cinnamon, eggs, honey, EVOO, bananas, mayo, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, crushed Aspirin,
    Hair and face masks!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    saving some of these!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Lettuce leaves as an impromptu bikini.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    applesauce or pumpkin in place of the oil in baked goods like muffins, cakes and quick breads

Or any pureed fruit for that matter. I used Pureed strawberries this summer in muffins. Pretty awesome!!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Oooh, you guys have named all of mine, I think, but I'm saving some ideas here. I especially like using applesauce/ fruit in place of oil, and using zucchini in place of noodles in lasagna and casseroles. I also like to sub cream of mushroom soup in for cheesy pasta sauce- the creaminess fools me into thinking it's cheese. Been cutting back on that due to sodium though. And I love, love, LOVE using cauliflower as a pizza crust or in place of mashed potatoes.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    does greek yogurt in place of sour cream count?

I hope so! I can't remember the last time I bought sour cream! Love that you can just pile it onto things.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Celery for baby teething

baby-watermelon.jpg

LMAO but really there is a natural numbing agent in celery that helps. Safer than Orajel