Weekend Struggle

Options
Hello, i was wondering if anyone would be able to help, i am fine Monday - Friday while at work, i can drink my 2 litres of water, complete my exercise and eat a standard 3 meals a day with no snacking but it all goes wrong at the weekend? Any help or advice is welcome.......

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "it all goes wrong" on the weekend? I find it more difficult on the weekends sometimes because of the lack of structure and the weekends are usually my rest days so I have fewer calories. I just track everything and if I go over a bit I don't freak out.
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Weekends are difficult. I plan my meals for the whole week ahead of time. That way when I get hungry or crave, I just pull up my diary. I know I may want salty or sweet, that's also apart of my meal plan. I enjoy special k 90 calories chips and treats. Frozen yogurt, fat free pudding, sugar free jello, low calorie muffins, or pop corn w/ minimal butter. 90 or 100 cal snacks may not work for everyone because it is hard to eat just one package. I make 100% fruit smoothies ahead of time and have in fridge, each in it's serving container. Just keep healthier choices around, or if you do have a couple of cookies (for example), incorporate in your plan so you don't go over your calories. You may have to try different things and see what works for you. I wouldn't want you to undo all the hard work you put in during weekdays.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Do you feel, or think, that this pattern is seriously undermining your progress? Or are you just concerned that any deviation is dangerous? It sounds like you have a good routine, and as long as you're not abandoning your food tracking and getting at least a little exercise, a relaxed weekend as a reward and a change of pace (so you don't crack up) might be a valid part of that routine. Not everyone can live with a strict regimen (certainly not me). But, are you instead sort of *hiding* from the routine on weekends? You are able to stick to the plan during the week, but is your plan maybe too restrictive to live with comfortably?

Personally I am a bit better on the weekends. That's when I do my longest walk of the week and I usually keep under or near my goals while eating food I enjoy more than the rushed, stressed meals I have during the workweek. If I eat a little more I also have time to exercise a little more to make up for it, rather than trying to figure out where I'm going to fit it in. My weekends are mostly unstructured, because I really need that after my workweek. But I never fail to update my food diary and try to exercise at least once over the weekend even if I don't really feel like it so I don't lose momentum. I'm doing this because I want to take care of myself, after all. But that includes not making myself miserable with it!

I'm not a weight loss champion, mind you--my goals and progress are modest. Just sharing the approach that has helped me get into a good headspace with all this so far. Ignore at will.
  • NatashaB1982
    NatashaB1982 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I only really started to make the effort to lose weight at the start of October, so only had a couple of weekends at the moment. I don't seem to plan the meals or the day so i am finiding myself out and about hungry/thirsty with no back up plan and then find it easy to say well i've been good all week it won't hurt.
    While it doesn't seem to be doing to much damange at the moment i want to try and get some plans in place. I have bought myself some small bottles so that i can carry water round with me, but i just find i'm off here there and everywhere that i forget to drink.
    Or will be out with friends and they will say let's go out for dinner and i am still working on making better choices.

I just wonder if anyone else was the same and give me ideas how they cope without to many problems.

Thank you everyone. x
  • angelmma
    angelmma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My weekends are my biggest downfall. I eat well during the week and actually I'm always under my calorie goals. Then it comes to the weekend and I binge. I done better last weekend than usual but was still 1000 calories over. I'm trying to reprogram my thinking of associating treats and relaxing with having food and go out and 'treat' myself to new clothes instead.
  • haffeyl
    haffeyl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi you have lost 78 pounds since August?
  • MauC25K
    MauC25K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We're doing a 'Biggest Loser' contest in my Zumba class and they set the weigh-in day for Monday. I always did Friday, but this way has been working great for me. I stay on plan better on the weekends and also tend to fit in more weekend exercise in anticipation of Monday night.

Maybe switch some things up and it will help your weekends. Good luck!
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's harder for me to stay on track with healthy eating on the weekends too so I try to keep myself busy and if I want to have food that I normally wouldn't eat during the week, I make sure I get some extra exercise in so that food is "earned" and doesn't crash my calorie deficit.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Someone once put it into perspective for me, and I have never forgotten it. If you count your weekends as Fri, Sat, and Sunday.....that adds up to not quite HALF of the month!! I realized that is FAR too many days for me to slip up. Just stuck with me, I guess when they put it that way....hope it helps anyone else!:)
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Planning is the best - that, or a routine. I pretty much have the same few meal options for breakfast lunch and dinner. On the weekends when I think I might go out I do oatmeal in the morning (with some added protein), a salad for lunch. If I need to snack it's Trader Joe's reduced guilt air-popped popcorn (2 1/2 cups = 110 calories), or an apple. If I add exercise I get into dinner with 3/4 of my daily calories left. Then even if I go over, as long as I'm choosing wisely it's not too much over. Hope that helps.

The thing I've found through all of this is that I have to be _conscious_ of what I am doing...not just react. It's hardest for me when folks put food in front of me; I'll usually eat it. I've learned that if I remain the one who chooses, I do better, and if I adopt the kind of strategy I've described above, it works out OK most times - and when it doesn't I just get right back on it on Monday!

Hope this helps!
  • SusannaDandana
    Options
    Great advice everyone!
  • cupcake28
    cupcake28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Someone once put it into perspective for me, and I have never forgotten it. If you count your weekends as Fri, Sat, and Sunday.....that adds up to not quite HALF of the month!! I realized that is FAR too many days for me to slip up. Just stuck with me, I guess when they put it that way....hope it helps anyone else!:)

Wow like this..... never thought of it like this before but your totally right (No wonder I feel like no matter how hard I try I get nowhere)

I also struggle at weekends, but I am lucky that my fella has taken over the cooking in my house and he is super organised and super dedicated, so where as I would say shall we have a takeaway and he'd just go along with it he now has the control and I just go with him.

I have also started viewing food as fuel I don't know if this will help anyone else but I look at it and think what am I gonna get from that Ie for example I've had curried veg with lentils for lunch

1 its spicy so this is suposed to speed your motabilism up, 2 the lentils are good for your digestive system, 3 the veg is low in fat, calories and also has a certain amount of fibre........ and man am I full!!!

So thats how I've cracked it really taking a step back from food and seeing it as fuel......... wont work for everyone I realise but give it a go..... its the old you are what you eat!!!!
    28848 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree that planning is the key. If I get home from work on Friday with no plans for meals and nothing decent to eat, we will eat out every meal.

We like to have a nice dinner together with wine on Friday and Saturday nights, so when he wants pancakes for breakfast on Saturday, I eat a small one and have some egg whites while he has a large stack! I don't feel deprived. I just know that I want to eat more for dinner and do breakfast and lunch accordingly.

However, I do not stick to my calorie goals on Saturday all the time. Somtimes I go over and if it's because I had a wonderful time with my husband over candlelight and music or a great time out with friends, I count it as a great thing and don't worry about it. I have consistently lost about a pound a week doing this and I even upped my calories from what MFP said it should be because I believe the people on this board that seem to know what they are talking about. You have to have worry free days or you won't succeed at this or anything else. Enjoy the journey.
  • cappri
    Options
    Hi you have lost 78 pounds since August?

Pretty sure this question was ment for me. No I joined MFP in August, my weightloss started the beginning of February, so 9 months now.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I find weekends hard as im at other peoples places and there is not always a healthy option. Its hard. But at least now im having smaller portion sizes. Depends why ur finding it hard as to find a possible solution
  • cappri
    Options
    i am finiding myself out and about hungry/thirsty with no back up plan and then find it easy to say well i've been good all week it won't hurt.

If you track everything you will learn what does "hurt" or not "hurt" and be able to make safer choices when you are out. Some weekends are good, some are more indulgent, it really is the bigger picture that matters though. What does Monday look like? If the weekend starts beginning earlier on Thursday or Friday or starts extending into Monday and Tuesday then it's a bigger problem.
    28848 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you track everything you will learn what does "hurt" or not "hurt" and be able to make safer choices when you are out. Some weekends are good, some are more indulgent, it really is the bigger picture that matters though. What does Monday look like? If the weekend starts beginning earlier on Thursday or Friday or starts extending into Monday and Tuesday then it's a bigger problem.
    [/quote]

Definately this! Good point.
  • destinee1103
    destinee1103 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I AM SO ON THE SAME BOAT AS YOU ARE .

The whole month of Oct I did not loose not 1 oz. and it was because M - F I stuck with my plan to the T ate good worked out , but come Sat. & Sun. everthing went down hill. This is my 1st weekend that I know im going to make better choices and stick to the plan join me and lets see how we do.

The only tip I can give u it being that im on the same boat is to reapeat THERE IS NOTHING TO IT BUT TO DO IT!!!!!!!
    something's got to work. good luck and wish me luck.

CHECK BACK IN ON MONDAY AND LETS SEE HOW WE DID :)