What are people planning to do over the holidays?

Options
I know its probably too early to ask, and I'm not looking for an out :) Just wondered - are people planning to take a day off and not count? Count as normal? Extra exercise? Or just take a break?

Just askin' :wink:

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm not counting. Christmas is meant to be fun, and counting calories is not fun.
  • HayleyHat
    Options
    I'll probably still count, simply because I don't go mad at the holidays anyway. I don't like many of the traditional foods at all so end up making my own, usual meals.
  • hattie491145
    hattie491145 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    :) a diet "guru" over here said "allow yourself one mince pie on christmas day as your christmas blowout"... I'm thinking that wouldn't be much of a christmas lol
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving - Doing a 5K in the morning, and eating sensibly as compared to years past. (1 slice of pumpkin pie instead of 3, etc.) Won't log food.

Christmas - We have a big family Christmas Eve roast beef dinner. I will try to eat light during the day so I won't go over calories too much. Christmas day we have crepes and monkey bread for breakfast, and then I'll try to be good for the rest of the day. I haven't decided if I'm going to log either of these days yet. I'm sure I can squeeze in exercise!

Basically I want to enjoy the holidays while keeping my goals in mind and without un-doing my progress. I'm not really expecting a loss around Thanksgiving or Xmas but I want to keep it reasonable.
  • Medwayguy
    Options
    Dress as a adjective of course!
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I plan on eating whatever I want in moderation. It's one day out of the year that I get these certain foods and I am NOT going to pass them up.

We didn't gain all our weight in one day.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I'm planning to do my holidays the same way I always have. It's one or two days so it's okay for me to enjoy. I won't stuff myself until I feel like I'm going to puke or anything, but I'm not worried about counting calories, etc etc. The point of the holidays is to enjoy time with the family. Good food just happens to be a part of most people's holidays and there's no need to obsess about it in my opinion. As long as you are mindful about what you eat MOST of the time, it's okay not to be, SOME of the time. A day or two, no matter how much or how badly you eat, is not going to hurt your progress in the end anyways.
  • chinoplata
    chinoplata Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the week of and the week after exercise like mad in case i over indulge on the holidays. that way i kinda meet in the middle after the holidays
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No matter how gluttonous I am over the holidays, I know I'm not going to do anything that will make a lasting negative impact. Even if I eat 1000 over TDEE on Thanksgiving, Christmas AND New Years, that's not even one pound.

If I eat like it's a holiday EVERY day, then, yeah. That would be a problem. But I won't, so it won't.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Christmas is so difficult for me because we spend 3 weeks at my in-laws' house, and there is just sweets and candy and cookies and cake and cheese and crackers and food, food, and more food from the minute we step into the house. And of course I'm away from home (and the gym) and it's -30C there so it's so easy for me to just stop exercising and stuff my face for 3 weeks. :)

This year I'm going to try REALLY hard to keep to my calorie goals every day except for Christmas Eve and Christmas day, because the food we traditionally have those days is so high-calorie I'd be over my limit after one meal. I'm not sure what to do about the exercise part of it, but maybe I'll solicit some creative ideas from here when it gets closer. Try out 3 different free-trial-week offers at 3 different gyms? ha ha ha....
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    treadmill treadmill treadmill weights treadmill treadmill lol cause I have a stuffing and cranberry sauce addiction hahaha
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Eat and drink. Throw up. Repeat.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I will log it as normal but if I go over on that one day I'm not going to stress about it.

We don't have a big family so our Christmas's tend to be smaller and while we do prepare a nice dinner we don't go overboard with it. Our traditional Christmas dinner is lasagna, salad and garlic bread.

The problem for me is turning down all the sweets leading up to Christmas. I need to figure out a plan to combat that and then I'll be okay.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'll log christmas day just because i'm intruiged about how much it'll be. That and christmas eve is going to be full of a lot of alcohol I think! Haha
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Christmas is so difficult for me because we spend 3 weeks at my in-laws' house, and there is just sweets and candy and cookies and cake and cheese and crackers and food, food, and more food from the minute we step into the house. And of course I'm away from home (and the gym) and it's -30C there so it's so easy for me to just stop exercising and stuff my face for 3 weeks. :)

This year I'm going to try REALLY hard to keep to my calorie goals every day except for Christmas Eve and Christmas day, because the food we traditionally have those days is so high-calorie I'd be over my limit after one meal. I'm not sure what to do about the exercise part of it, but maybe I'll solicit some creative ideas from here when it gets closer. Try out 3 different free-trial-week offers at 3 different gyms? ha ha ha....
    A quick suggestion, get an exercise band and look up some workouts online with the exercise band, print 'em out and first thing in the morning, before you leave your bedroom take an hour or a 1/2 hour and do the exercises (you can even get up a little earlier if you want and go from there)
  • ejensen86
    Options
    I'm not counting for Thanksgiving and Christmas but those weeks, I'll probably be sure to be extra healthy the other days so I can have a few gimme's for the holidays....:smile:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    No matter how gluttonous I am over the holidays, I know I'm not going to do anything that will make a lasting negative impact. Even if I eat 1000 over TDEE on Thanksgiving, Christmas AND New Years, that's not even one pound.

If I eat like it's a holiday EVERY day, then, yeah. That would be a problem. But I won't, so it won't.

+1 !!!
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Christmas is Christmas....I plan to eat and drink what I want....which doesn't necessarily mean it will be all bad.
    I find that I don't actually put on much if any weight, probably due to running around like a mad woman for most of it.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I won't count food. I do run the mornings of though, usually an hour or an hour and a half, so I have some calories I can use. :happy:
  • Flendon
    Options
    I probably won't count, but I will try to eat smaller portions. I'll also try to look for better alternatives, like having ready whip instead cool whip on my single *cry* slice of pumpkin pie.