Marry your bro?

Options

Replies

• UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    LOL! I think even if you marry him he would not be a legal citizen until he passes his citizenship test. Which, by the way, I've heard is hard!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Don't see why not. Marriage is a joke nowdays, at least there'd be a purpose for that one.

i don't think my marriage is a joke. I think that there are marriages that are jokes, though. i think that whether or not a marriage is a joke depends on the people in it.

that's a pretty broad brush you have there.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I agree, 100%.

OP, no one is going to judge. Be proud.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    YEP. Do it,
    I applaud you for even considering it. Your and awesome person.

Awesome yes, and apparently slightly gay despite dropping the all mighty no homo bomb haha
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    best-bros-for-life.png
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Funny story.

Not so sober conversation with my good friend of 5 years led to me realizing that he was an illegal immigrant. Since gay marriage has been passed, I would totally marry that guy for citizenship (or do the same rules apply lol). Regardless would you marry your best bro (or bfffl for women) if it meant he wouldn't have to leave back to Mehico (or wherever)

And as usual, 100% no homo.

so would you take it to the next level... the marriage police come to your house and say hey... "we need proof you're married and asks you to kiss one another"... would you then?!?! haha

Touche. And reminds me of Chuck and Larry haha

hahaha oh yeah, i knew i got that thought from some where..
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Only if he's a curlbro.

Win :drinker:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i dont ever plan on getting married so sure why not
    they would have to promise to be my bestest friend forever and do all the washing up though... :S
  • graywi123
    graywi123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am naturalized and the test is not hard. However becoming a citizen is difficult (due to the bureaucracy) and expensive.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    So, instead of finding a girl to marry your dude friend, you mind first and foremost goes to marrying him yourself?
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Imagine this, Guy on a date

Guy. Hey, we've been dating a while and i think i need to tell you,.it's time.
    Girl. (looks up ,sits up.straighter and smiles) what is it?
    Guy. Im married to guy and i think it's time you meet my best friend.
    Girl. Sits there in shock(blinks repeatedly)
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    prob not...but i would pick him up after he crossed back. lol
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    It's not as easy as you think. There are all kinds of interviews to prove you know each other as spouses (what side of the bed do you sleep on? what color is their toothbrush? how do they take their coffee? where did they grow up? when did they graduate from high school?), and you have to submit documents showing you're on a lease or mortgage together, share finances, things like that.

Even if you manage to get the marriage visa, you have to keep up the charade until they get their citizenship.

If you get caught, there are stiff FEDERAL penalties.

Is it really worth the risk? I know you want to keep him here 'cause he's your bro, but really, really think about this.

(I know all of this because my friend married a Canadian, and I saw just how long and involved the process was. It's not as simple as the movies make it sound.)
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    So, instead of finding a girl to marry your dude friend, you mind first and foremost goes to marrying him yourself?

Exactly....no single gf's willing to bite the bullet on your behalf? Lol!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You're not worried that talking about stuff the gubmint thinks is a crime on an open forum won't bite someone or that it isn't available to whoever wants to know about it...? Hmm. I would worry.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I thought they actually did away with the laws that allowed for citizenship through marriage. I could be wrong, but I thought they had done away with that back in 2003, I think. Everyone has to follow the standard procedure for applying for citizenship. Marital status no longer has any impact on your citizenship status.
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would do it. It's not like you would have to be married forever. I considered marrying a friend in the army so he could get better benefits while overseas. We ended up deciding against it for complex reasons I care not to share but I would have done it otherwise.

That's completely using someone else. Suggesting himself is actually something to be quite proud of... sacrifice for the benefit of someone else.
    Imagine this, Guy on a date

Guy. Hey, we've been dating a while and i think i need to tell you,.it's time.
    Girl. (looks up ,sits up.straighter and smiles) what is it?
    Guy. Im married to guy and i think it's time you meet my best friend.
    Girl. Sits there in shock(blinks repeatedly)

Awkward! lol The right girl for him would be understanding, though.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    This.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Don't see why not. Marriage is a joke nowdays, at least there'd be a purpose for that one.

i don't think my marriage is a joke. I think that there are marriages that are jokes, though. i think that whether or not a marriage is a joke depends on the people in it.

that's a pretty broad brush you have there.

I don't think my marriage is a joke either. It's things like this that make marriage a joke.

Honestly, I don't see how going through the proper channels and becoming a citizen the legal way is any more complicated than creating a sham marriage and keeping up the charade for a few years.
  • aochoa123
    aochoa123 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's not as easy as you think. There are all kinds of interviews to prove you know each other as spouses (what side of the bed do you sleep on? what color is their toothbrush? how do they take their coffee? where did they grow up? when did they graduate from high school?), and you have to submit documents showing you're on a lease or mortgage together, share finances, things like that.

Even if you manage to get the marriage visa, you have to keep up the charade until they get their citizenship.

If you get caught, there are stiff FEDERAL penalties.

Is it really worth the risk? I know you want to keep him here 'cause he's your bro, but really, really think about this.

(I know all of this because my friend married a Canadian, and I saw just how long and involved the process was. It's not as simple as the movies make it sound.)

In my case only part of this statement was true. They did not ask all the personal questions during the marriage interview but we did however have to supply pictures of family get-togethers and show proof of shared finances. It is a LONG and hard road. Very expensive so before you decide to jump into it think is it truly worth it. Also having children together was a plus because it showed a real family.
This discussion has been closed.