How fast is too fast?

Options
I've lost four pounds in nine days.

I'm not complaining, I'm just surprised and puzzled.

My calories are set by the MFP calculator to lose a pound a week. I've been losing at a rate of about a pound every five days, and then last week I got to a point where I got crazy hungry, and upped my calories for a bit. The last couple days, the crazy hunger is gone, so I'm back to eating 1540 or so calories a day. I usually eat almost all my exercise calories.

I try to eat pretty clean, I'm pretty moderate about everything, I think.

My usual exercise is walking, hiking, and bike riding, but not extreme.

I have a knee that I have to be very careful about, due to an old injury and surgery, and my back and neck are in very bad shape due to a car accident and another accident, so I am limited on what I can do.

I feel great, energy level is good, I'm sleeping great.

But I wonder if I'm losing too fast and if that's bad.

And if it matters, I'm 50 years old, 5'7", started MFP at 200 (ticker is set to show total loss, my highest was 208 but I had lost 8lbs. before I found MFP) and I'm now at 181 with a goal of 145. I had a complete physical in October, blood pressure 120/70, cholesterol 175, on no medications and doctor says I'm in excellent health except for the extra weight.

Should I up by calories? Should I not worry about it? Am I way over thinking this?

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens that way sometimes, you get a big whoosh of loss all at once. I wouldn't worry unless fast loss continues and is accompanied by other symptoms.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree - it happens sometimes. I think sometimes it's like my body finally figures out what my brain has been trying to tell it! LOL My guess is that losing the weight that fast won't last for very much longer, and you'll go back to losing it at a more realistic/healthy rate. For now - Rejoice!
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    the more you have to lose, the faster you will lose it in the beginning.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I agree, I wouldnt worry unless you think it could be due to an underlying issue. I have lost quite a bit this week whereas I had been pretty stable and slow before. I am guessing it was just a whoosh week for me!
  • thejobiandamoosie
    Options
    Isn't it exciting when it goes fast? It makes the plateu stages so much easier to deal with. I say you're fine. It happens! And just remember how good it feels to have those numbers go down fast after a few days of the same number. Go girl!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its normal in the beginning... its water weight... enjoy it as it doesnt last long.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you just started losing weight, I wouldn't be concerned. Focus on health without starving yourself and you will be okay. There is no magic maximum number of pounds you should be losing per week. Most sites will say 2lbs/week maximum because exceeding 2lbs per week, continuously, is sometimes indicative of not eating enough,
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Don't change something that is working! Just keep going! You are doing it right! It's a good idea to not get too overjoyed with big losses as well as to not get too discouraged over low losses. Just keep going....
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    the more you have to lose, the faster you will lose it in the beginning.

Pretty much. . Most is water weight..I think I lost something like 10 - 15 lbs my first couple weeks.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    When I first focued on losing weight, I lost 5 lbs the first week, then 7 in week 2. Then it trailed off to 2-3 a week. Nothing to worry about.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I lose weight that fast and then nothing for like 3 weeks lol.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's just water weight coming off. It'll slow down and even out after a few weeks.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Maybe my post was too long... I've been at this for two and a half months- I didn't just start.

The rate of loss is accelerating, not slowing down.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Maybe my post was too long... I've been at this for two and a half months- I didn't just start.

The rate of loss is accelerating, not slowing down.

It never hurts to consult a doctor. If your weight loss is rapidly increasing it could be an indication of a more serious problem.
  • Ajessie
    Options
    I started working with a trainer and losing weight about 5 months ago. The first 2 or 3 months I would lose around 2 lbs a week. For the last month or so I'll lose 4 or 5 lbs in one week and then 1 lb the next week and then back to 4 or 5 and so on... Sometimes I don't lose at all but then make up for it by losing a lot the next week! I think we all just lose at different rates and in different ways. I say as long as your losing its all good :)
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would be throwing a party!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm clearly over thinking things. I'll just go with it. When I get stuck at a nasty plateau, remind me of this thread, please.
  • Theohariti
    Theohariti Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of experiencing something similar at the moment. Actually I get rapid weightless every time I switch something up. I was walking at first and then I started taking fitness classes and I dropped weight quick for a week. This also happens whenever I change my calorie goal (both increase and decrease). And I've been at it for 2 months!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

You didn't say that in your post

I really don't think that with your current weight and calorie intake, it's a serious concern, in and of itself. You had a complete physical last month