Running shoes

Options
Best brand? I need somewhat affordable, light/airy, comfortable(obviously), and good for trail running as well as blacktop. I have a cheap crappy pair of FILA's and they are killing my feet especially my toes. :(

Replies

• Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My sister, brother-in-law, and I all use asics. I absolutely love them!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have heard of them. I personally haven't tried them. My husband had a pair but they fell apart on him pretty quickly...maybe just a fluke defect??
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    There are a lot companies that make good running shoes. Do your feet a favour and go to your local running shop and get fitted.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yah, Asics are pretty standard for runners.

Best bet is to go to a running store and they will assess and provide you with some good options that suit your stride, stance, etc.

Personally I just bought a pair of Nike Frees.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fit based on your gait. Newtons, Asics, Brooks, KSwiss, New Balance all good options.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! First step...find a running store! lol
  • justrunjon
    Options
    There are a lot companies that make good running shoes. Do your feet a favour and go to your local running shop and get fitted.

I couldnt agree more, you could save yourself alot more than a few $$$$$
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't certainly say a brand is better than another brand. It all comes down to what kind of support they have (or don't have) and how it feels.

I have Asics, New Balance, Sacony's and Vibram 5 fingers, which I like all equally well.
  • shayyyface
    Options
    My sister, brother-in-law, and I all use asics. I absolutely love them!
    second this, im on my 2nd pair, its still love
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Asics all the way........ for running. I have a couple pair. Gel Kayano and GT 2170. I just got a new pair from Kohls!!! Woohoo. Cannot wait to get them. I use Nike Shox for just strength training in the gym or plyo!
  • JessKrcmar
    JessKrcmar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have pretty non-existent arches and have been through a slew of Nikes, New Balance, and Adidas. I'm on Asics now and see a noticeable difference in how often I get shin splints, and it took me like zero days to feel like these were broken in. I think I'll be an Asics girl from now on! But like previous posters said, everyone's feet are different so definitely get some recommendations from an expert. In my opinion, shoes are just too expensive for trial and error these days!
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 426 Member
    Options

100% correct...different brands for different feet/strides
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I use Asics, currently the 1170. You really should go to a running store and have them look at your gait. I did and they told me I had some overpronation issues and so I bought a shoe with support. The 1170s were $79 on amazon. I had to order them there because the store didn't have 2e sizes and I'm a wide so... Anyway, good luck! Even if you don't buy your shoes at the store, at least go there and have them look at you and try on some shoes!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    My vote is for Asics or New Balance. Find the running store, figure out your stride, gait, and what kid of shoe is best for you, then find it at Kohls. You said affordable, and running stores are awesome, but arne't likley to be anywhere near the price at Kohls.

That is, if you have a Kohls near you. :-)
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Best brand? I need somewhat affordable, light/airy, comfortable(obviously), and good for trail running as well as blacktop. I have a cheap crappy pair of FILA's and they are killing my feet especially my toes. :(

My husband and I are huge KSwiss Tubes fans. He works 12 hour shifts and he said they were the best shoes ever. So I of course had to get a pair and I love them. It doesn't feel like you are wearing shoes and your feet never are tired. Everyone has different feet so what works for me probably won't work for you.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love my Brooks!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I injured my tendons running in Nike Free Run. The shoe is described as giving the "benefits of barefoot running " because it has no support.
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love love love love love my Reebok Zigtechs
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have two friends that are serious trail-runners - they both do ultra races of 50-100k on a fairly regular basis. Both of them are Brooks fans.

I wear Brooks Ghost for road running/walking. They work very well on my bony, narrow, under-pronating feet. It feels like I'm running on a cloud. On the trail, I adore my Montrail Mountain Masochists.

I've heard good things about Saucony and have liked the Asics I've worn in the past.

Also, go to a running specialty store. If it's a good one, they'll have you take your shoes off and evaluate your barefoot gait. They'll evaluate how your foot strikes and other biomechanics through the stride. After that, they'll measure your feet and give you a few pairs to try on on their in-store treadmill.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have heard alot of people suggest brooks. I know that is what I am getting next time. I got the reebok flex about 2 months ago and I am not too happy w/ them.