Is this just a 'side effect' of the 1200 cal MFP gives ?

Options

Replies

• ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i did 12-1300 6 days a week for a year lost 60 lbs......felt awesome....i now eat more and didnt gain all my weight back ...i must be a wizard with magical powers
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Hungry body = feeling like crap.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 and most the days I don't even make it up to 1200. I don't feel starved either. But even one is different.
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between 1200 calories of processed foods and 1200 calories of natural foods.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    the only comment i'll leave is this...

Fat exists for specific reasons.
    Eating 1200cals isnt the answer for all people.

The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Do the math and eat the food.
    1200 probably isnt YOUR number.
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For the most part, for me anyway, it is not how much I eat but what I eat. If I eat a bunch of junk then I feel cruddy, but when I eat lots of nummy produce I feel more energetic. I just try to watch out for processed junk because who knows what all that stuff they throw in there is (I once googled an ingredient that I had never seen before and saw that it was used in some places to kill flies...appetizing, huh?).
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. 1200 calories for me doesn't work - but 1400 is perfect. As long as you are eating healthy foods and not just filling up the extra calories with junk, there should be no reason not to do it. You're feeling good and you've got more energy - which in turn is going to keep you more active. I see it as a win - win situation.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    1200 is unhealthy. A 5 year old girl eats more. Cutting calories by 500 minus your BMR is what you should be doing. If you workout then add more.

BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

or your weight x 14-16.

Dont cut calories to an extreme, you will lose weight but are you seriously going to eat under 1200 for the rest of your life? People get greedy and want it off fast, but really your just jumping to the middle of an already long line.

But I guess i should have read the entire post before i got all internet angry lol

Never underestimate the power of short ;). Your equation puts me just smudge above 1200 for maintance. Minus 500 puts me just north of 700. But I know I am an exception of the rule as I am not within the normal bell curve for height. Before anyone goes crazy, I am NOT eat 700 calories a day. I'm just pointing out the flaw of general rules... lol.

Original poster: Sounds like you've found the right balance for you. Everyone's body composition is a little different even if you share the same height and weight. These are all just general guidelines ;).
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    1200 is unhealthy. A 5 year old girl eats more. Cutting calories by 500 minus your BMR is what you should be doing. If you workout then add more.

BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )

or your weight x 14-16.

Dont cut calories to an extreme, you will lose weight but are you seriously going to eat under 1200 for the rest of your life? People get greedy and want it off fast, but really your just jumping to the middle of an already long line.

But I guess i should have read the entire post before i got all internet angry lol

According to your formula, I should be eating 1160.8 cal....:huh: :noway:
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Oh look it's this thread again. Same old subject same old debate. I do wish people would just learn that people do things different ways. I think 1200 is stupidly low but i'm not going on a mission to convert low cal peep's. Leave em to it I say.
  • raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have more energy eating 1200 cals than eating 2,000+ because I'm not stuffed and lethargic all the time.

Everyone is different!
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    the only comment i'll leave is this...

Fat exists for specific reasons.
    Eating 1200cals isnt the answer for all people.

The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Do the math and eat the food.
    1200 probably isnt YOUR number.
    [/quote

This is all that needs to be said on this topic!!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I love how no matter what anyone says on this board it ends up in an argument or some one saying. I don't know what your deal is, I have no problem eating 1200 cals a day." even though nobody asked you that!!!!

To the original poster: Congrats on finding your energy again! It is an awesome thing to listen to your body!

To all that 1200 calories peeps. You do no have to defend yourself. The OP is not telling you that you are wrong for eating 1200 cals a day!

If you want to be restricted for the rest of your life and yo yo, that is your decision.
  • lollyfidy1965
    lollyfidy1965 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I realize my situation is different from that of many, but...after having a form of weight loss surgery (back in June), I have been averaging about 650-700 calories per day, while going to the gym 6 days a week (and burning between 1100 and 1500 calories each day). I am never hungry...have completely lost that sensation...and am healthier, and more energized now than I've ever been in my life. I take every vitamin I've been instructed to take, and my lab work is perfect (including the two key indicators for diabetes, which have gone from "pre-diabetic" to "normal").

As many posters have noted, everyone is different, and we each have our own path to wander. What works well for one person may be torture for another. As for me, I couldn't physically consume 1,200 calories in a day....even if I wanted to. :)

I wish everyone great success!
    Laura
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love how no matter what anyone says on this board it ends up in an argument or some one saying. I don't know what your deal is, I have no problem eating 1200 cals a day." even though nobody asked you that!!!!

To the original poster: Congrats on finding your energy again! It is an awesome thing to listen to your body!

To all that 1200 calories peeps. You do no have to defend yourself. The OP is not telling you that you are wrong for eating 1200 cals a day!

If you want to be restricted for the rest of your life and yo yo, that is your decision.

This!!! I don't know why the 1200 crowd is so aggressive and defensive anytime anyone gives a different opinion. It's so silly...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

or your weight x 14-16.

This is wrong... you dont form a deficit off your bmr.. you do it fron your tdee... there is a lifestyle multiplier on top of this as well as exercise.

So my bmr is 2080, i have a desk job and burn about 500 calories. My tdee would be..

2080 * 1.2 + 500 =2996... this is where cut my 20% to form a deficit.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options

This!!! I don't know why the 1200 crowd is so aggressive and defensive anytime anyone gives a different opinion. It's so silly...

i didn't see anyone get aggressive or defensive. The topic was about eating 1200 cals vs. 1450, so people are giving their experiences. almost everyone who says they are okay with 1200 a day also says that if the OP needs more, to eat more. You are one of the people to jump in and get offended at low cal eaters. perhaps you should look at the other side of the fence at who is nasty though (you've never been nasty that i've seen):
    1200 is unhealthy. A 5 year old girl eats more.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    That's great! Some people just can't function on the 1200 calories the stupid people think is great for everyone. 1200 is NOT the magic number for everybody to lose weight!!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing 1200 calories a day and depending on what I'm eating, I end up full by the end of the day. And sometimes I'm under 1200. Not by much, maybe 10-30 calories... hahaha
    But I feel like I have eaten plenty. And I snack all day.
    My weight gain problem was portion sizes. Now that I am controlling the portions better and snacking on fruits and vegetables, I have plenty of food to eat, I feel full and satisfied during the day and at the end of the day, and I feel happy and still have plenty of energy throughout the day. I don't feel as though I am lacking.

Also, if I exercise and burn calories, I eat more that day. If I burned 200 calories, I will eat 200 more calories.

But I don't feel like I am missing out or am having too little.

So I guess it really depends on your body. I think it's different for everyone. Some people can function fine with 1200 and some people can't. I don't think it's bad either way, just find what works for you.
    This ^^
    ( I made sure the 1200 calories were the most optimal calories - fuel - that I could find)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have 1,200 calories left for dinner tonight. Hmmmm, what to have......