Tell me how busy you are!!!

Options
I would love to hear some stories about your busy life and how you incorporate your workouts into your daily routine. I work full time. I have three boys and my night time routine revolves around them. I'm not making excuses. I know that I can fit in my exercise every day. I have done it before. I'm just on a lazy train right now...and would like some motivational stories of how jam packed your days are...what exercise you do and when you do it.

Replies

• weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I, too, have 3 young boys - 8, 5, 2, and work full time. I agree with above poster - best thing is to get up early and get the workout out of the way. It is hard in the beginning to wake up at 5am, plus I run outside so it's dark and cold (talk about a rude awakening), but I find it helps not to think about it too much and just do it, like auto pilot. I am fortunate too that I have the option of working out at lunch if I want, as I joined a gym that is a block away from my office. But my preference is definitely to get it out of the way in the morning. I work out 3 times during the week - Tuesday, Thursday and Friday usually, and then I work out both Saturday and Sunday, as my husband is home to watch the kids then. When I work out during the week in the mornings, my husband is obviously home with the kids.

If you set your mind to it, it can be done.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids in my household, 3 cats, 2 gerbils, I work full time, I cycle everywhere as my means of transport, I work out 3 times a week for about an hour...I used to go to the gym at 5.30 a.m. when my work schedule was different. If you want it badly enough, you make the time. It also makes you feel better and is also a stress release and you-time away from it all. Have done the same for a few years even when I was a single parent (now live with boyfriend and his son) I also work late nights and also sleep over (I care for a disabled elderly lady)...
  • bethyt458
    bethyt458 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, about to be 20. I have a 1 year old son, a house I'm keeping up with, a part time job I just got yesterday, and classes 2 nights a week. I don't even think I know how much is on my plate yet. It helps that my boyfriend and I are still together, (have been for 4 years). The team effort helps me tremendously! I know it's going to be extremely hard, but I am NOT letting my schedule get in the way of my weight loss.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm so busy i post in the forums all day

- fitbeto
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids that are all under 3 yrs of age so life is hectic except when they play with one another. I try to make time to exercise when someone can help out like my hubby. I think its important to get the eating part right in case you get too busy.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I work full time, take college courses online, have three kids, a house and my man. It's very difficult to squeeze in exercise some days but for me, I find it best to exercise as soon as I get home from work. I get off early in the afternoon so that's what works for me. It also helps that my oldest daughter and my guy are usually the ones to take care of dinner. The later in the evening, the lazier I get.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but maybe if you took your kids out after dinner for a walk or a game of basketball or something...you could all be active together and maybe it would tire them out for bed time, :)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    busy enough to find cool stuff like this online
    flgj02.jpg

but hey I'm at work right now
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    im not ever horribly busy, everything i do is scheduled.
    wake up.
    walk dogs.
    fill water/food dishes
    clean litterbox.
    laundry
    dishes
    breakfast.
    walk dogs.
    shower.
    walk dogs.
    lunch
    work out.
    walk dogs.
    laundry.
    dishes.
    walk dogs.
    work out.
    dinner.
    walk dogs.
    laundry.
    litterbox.
    fill food dishes.
    bed.

yesterday i added "rescue feral kitten" so now ive got 10+ litterbox sessions added. ;)
  • AshleyWintters
    AshleyWintters Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have 2 kids so I'm right there with you! I hate mornings so I do my workouts in the evening after both kids have gone to sleep. Problem with it is if they are sick/don't wanna sleep etc it messes with your time. I may have to change and start working out in the mornings but I'm going to try to stick to evenings as long as I can :)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have a 9 month old son, a husband who works 40 hours a week, plus me with my job at the newspaper, plus research for it, plus going to school online in order to get my bachelor's, plus a house. I either take the baby in the stroller for a nice long walk or run, or wait until the husband comes home so he can watch him or until baby goes to bed to do my exercise because I usually don't have the time the otherwise. Eating right is definitely the key if you can't get it in.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I work full time, am taking a class for work and have two children who are very active in competative dance and baseball so I am running at least two nights a week for them. Every other weekend we have my step-daughter and that is an hour drive one way. I get up around 4am to do my workouts as otherwise they wouldn't get done or would be very interupted.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Get up
    take puppy for quick walk around neighborhood (no fenced yard so it is a MUST)
    Make breakfast
    Get kids ready for school
    Drive 30 minutes to my work
    Work 8 hours at a school, crazy kids and hectic job
    Drive 30 minutes back to my house
    Take kids to practice (4 days a week unless game week then only 3) (while at pracrtice, I grade papers or work on my continuing ed classes)
    Go home, take puppy out for a walk again.
    Go for a run myself while dinner is simmering/boiling/baking
    Feed kids and myself
    While kids do homework, clean kitchen/start laundry/prep lunches for next day
    Check homework for kids while they are in shower
    25 minutes of nightly reading with kids (required by their school, I sign a log saying I did it)
    Start the nightly cleaning cycle: unload dishes, fold laundry, vacuum, mop/scrub, whatever (my son is very asthmatic so we have to be really on top of the vacuuming and dusting)
    take puppy out again, lay out my clothes for next day, finally take a shower, and collapese in exhaustion at 10pm

Notice I did not do any errands on a "typical" day. I try to cram all my grocery shopping and whatnot in on Saturdays after the boys' games. I do take Sunday as a less busy day-it is devoted to doing stuff with my sons. I buy most of our clothes and shoes online. My husband is military and not home so it is just me and the kids.

Oh and my exercise is pretty much my runs or my weights. I do them both between the time I prep dinner and the time it takes for dinner to cook or whatnot. Sometimes I run around the boys' practice field and do situps/pushups on the grass. I also drag my kids to most of my physical activities. So they are a part of the get healthy changes as well-they LOVE our Sunday hikes!
  • shannonmci
    shannonmci Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am the mother to three. I also work full time. I do have a husband, but he works 2nd shift, so I am a 'single' mom at night. Boy, do I have an appreciation for all you single moms out there! By far, you have the hardest job in the world! Anyway, the kids are very active and in sports and such. I drag my tired butt out of bed at 3:45 in the mornings three times a week for a run. I work 7:00-3:30 about 30 minutes away from home. On the days I don't run, I hit he gym right after work and can be home by 5:00. Once I get home, there is no down time. There is dinner, dishes, baths, homework, the kids' activities, playing taxi, etc. I would not have it any other way though. I love that the kids are so involved in things and love our busy lifestyle.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I also have two kids, 6 and 4. This is my routine: Wake up at 5 a.m., take a shower, do my hair, makeup, get dress, make breakfast, heat up lunches, make lunch box for my hubby and me, help get the kids ready, and all of us out by 7:00 a.m. Work from 7:30 to 4:00, get the kids, be home by 5:30 to cook and have dinner ready by 6:30. Dinner, clean the kitchen, help with homework, give kids a bath, 2 to 3 day a week, hubby helps the rest of the time, read with them, put them to bed, make kids lunch boxes and sometimes cook my lunch for the next day, if I don’t have any leftovers… I’m tired just writing about it! By this time is around 9:30-10:00 p.m. Change, exercise (Dvd), take a shower, and go to bed hopefully by 11:00 p.m. Start all over the next day!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. Y'all exhaust me just reading how busy you are

I live alone (again after a multi year relationship) My kids are all adults and have their own families and none live close to me (not my choosing but............well..'nuff said) I do have a white and black 15lb ball of fat with legs affectionately known as "Killer"...my diva cat who is my service cat.(No joke...she's a service animal) I work full time at a job I love and have a 2 bedroom apt to care for, a killer car...and I love to clean clean clean. As hard as it is to believe...........even I have trouble finding the time to workout. Of course my workouts differ from the rest of ya because I have several physical limitations that actually make it hard to walk some days much less exercise. I find I have to JUST KEEP MOVING.....anything ya do burns calories sooo that being said..... if I can keep busy enough I burn thru the dreaded calorie just like any one else.

In reading the postings here in my early days at MFP...a male poster said something that has stuck with me every day. It was simple, direct and to the point.

JUST DONT STOP

catresolutionmoretimeontreadmill-1.jpg
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My husband and I run our own business, as well as having a home, two teenagers and two dogs to look after. We do not have the luxury of being able to walk away from from when we have 'finished' for the day, stuff still has to be done. We do manage though, because we plan; shopping, menus, and time out. Actually pencilling something (like exercise) into your diary means it's far more likely to happen. Just don't beat yourself up about it if life gets in the way occasionally.
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I work 40-50 hours a week at night while my husband works as much as 84 hours a week during the day so my 1 yr old son doesn't have to do day care. I'm also a full time student working on my accounting degree. I don't get alot of exercise but I try to make play time with my son more active and wear a pedometer during work to encourage me to walk more
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    No kids for me, so kudos to all your mothers out there!!

I am a full-time manager of a small bookstore in my town. A professional book reviewer, and I run my own home-based pet spa business on the side. I do have employees but I, myself take on appointments also in the evenings, days that I am off, and sometimes on the weekend. I'll work out in the morning(for one hour) before work, or in the late afternoon when I am done at the bookstore. I work out 5-6 times a week for 60-70 minutes. I also take Yoga classes 3 times a week, and am currently working on becoming a Yoga instructor myself. I am engaged and a proud parent of 2 active fur-babies. I take my dogs for a 2 hour hike every sunday. My life is busy yes, but I'm sure nothing compared to those working mama's out there. You guys rock!

My fiance is a baseball player and he's training me to join his co-ed team this summer. I am excited, but have no idea how I'll squeeze that one in!