What's Up With Turkey?

Options
What exactly is it that makes ground turkey so much better for us than ground beef???

I just had a really yummy turkey burger. It was so yummy in fact that I became more and more convinced with each bite that it was actually not as healthy as it seemed to be. Paranoia led me to pondering the above question, and so I did a little research.

When comparing ground turkey to lean 95/5 ground beef, I found that the numbers actually don't prove that turkey is better for you at all. In fact, the turkey looks a lot less appealing on the label. The beef has lower cals, lower sodium, lower fat and a gram more protein per ounce than turkey. Even taking it down a step to 90/10 (more affordable and easier to find) the beef's numbers are still better in all areas except calories, which is only seven more cals per ounce than turkey.

Soooo... what makes the ground turkey better? From my observations I would summarize that, at best beef is better, and at worst they're very comparable options. Why, when we begin new diets and start on a journey of healthier eating, is switching to turkey instead of ground beef one of the most recommended changes?

For those numbers, I could totally be munchin on some cow. . .

Replies

• mhesterruns
    Options
    After eating ground turkey in place of beef for 4 years my husband finally said enough. He wanted the texture of beef versus turkey. So I switched to the 93/7 beef. It makes him happy and is just as good as the turkey but has the more firmer texture. The only place I prefer poultry of cow is at Chick-Fil-A:)
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    I think that generally, people say to eat turkey instead of beef for one reason. The average shopper does not buy 95/5 beef(I know you labeled it as lean, but I think most stores label 93/7 and lower fat %'s as super-ultra-double top secret lean).

So, really, turkey > the average beef, which is like 90/10 or 85/15 right? I'm not sure.

Really though, cooking techniques are way more important than the food involved. You can make any foodstuff unhealthy by cooking it in an unhealthy manner. Same goes for vice-versa.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is generally healthier than ground beef, HOWEVER if the package or label does not specify lean ground turkey breasts, it may contain dark meat and fat-laden skin. In that case, extra lean ground beef may be a slimmer pick. All you have to do is check the food labels.

Here's a great article to help explain the differences: http://cookwithme.today.com/2009/01/10/ground-turkey-vs-ground-beef-whats-the-difference/
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I dont use the turkey...I use the extra lean ground beef(get it from walmart) and it only has 140 calories in 4oz..I also seen on a tv show here a while back that said that turkey bacon is not as good for you as they make it out to be..they said to just eat reg with low sodium..
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think that generally, people say to eat turkey instead of beef for one reason. The average shopper does not buy 95/5 beef(I know you labeled it as lean, but I think most stores label 93/7 and lower fat %'s as super-ultra-double top secret lean).

So, really, turkey > the average beef, which is like 90/10 or 85/15 right? I'm not sure.

Really though, cooking techniques are way more important than the food involved. You can make any foodstuff unhealthy by cooking it in an unhealthy manner. Same goes for vice-versa.

I think this is a big part of it.

For example, in my fridge I have some extra lean 95/5 beef and some jeni-o lean ground turkey 99% fat free. Here's what the labels say:

TURKEY
    4oz (1oz more than beef below) serving
    120 cals
    2 fat, 1 saturated
    55 cholesterol
    70 sodium
    0 carbs
    26 protein

BEEF
    3oz (1oz less than turkey above) serving
    151 cals
    6 fat, 3 saturated, 2 monounsaturated
    65 cholesterol
    55 sodium
    296 potassium
    0 carb
    22 protein

So just comparing some raw meat in my fridge at this very moment, the turkey is better overall and the serving is a whole 1 oz more than the beef serving. I personally like the taste of turkey better myself. Honestly, though, I think it has a lot to do with actually purchasing 95/5 at the grocery (check the label carefully - just because it's lean doesn't mean it's 95/5) and then how you prepare the food later that has a huge impact on how truly healthy or good for you it is.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Let's not forget that you aren't getting 90/10 or better when you eat at a restaurant. I eat 85/15 at home, but like the taste of the ground turkey breast (not ground turkey) more in some dishes.