Consequenses of consistently overconsuming fat

Options
Hello!

27 yo male here trying to improve in the gym with a small and steady kcal surplus (about 150g weightincrease per week on average).
Current bodyweight is 80 kilos and my macros are Protein 225 g, Fat 100 g, Carbs 450 g. I usually keep my overall energy intake in order but I find myself consistently breaching my fat-limit by a large margin and almost never eat enough carbohydrates.

What kind of effect is this likely to have on strength and/or musclegains?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Go over all you want... fat is actually really good for you and dietary fat =\= body fat.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    jesus frick, that's an asston of carbs.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Adjust your macros
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

This!! :noway:
  • job187
    job187 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know fat is very good for me but 100g per day is probably in the upper echelon as it is. I'm no nutritional expert but I would imagine that the macronutritional ratios are there for a reason.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I know fat is very good for me but 100g per day is probably in the upper echelon as it is. I'm no nutritional expert but I would imagine that the macronutritional ratios are there for a reason.

WHICH macros?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132598293&page=1
  • pengem789
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor. A forum like this is not a good place to get advice...every person here has agendas (IE: Atkins, Paleo, etc) and there are many types of fat. You need balance and you might be totally fine OR you could be jeopardizing your health. If you don't feel confident that you are eating enough fruits/vegetables/whole grain, you really should talk to someone who can look at your overall health. The numbers do not tell the full story at all. (I am a healthcare professional...anyone who really is knowledgeable would give similar advice. There are no blanket statements that are healthy for everybody.)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Nope nothing wrong with it.. i am in a cut phase and i am around 100g. Since you are bulking it wont adversely affect.... neither will the carbs. The biggest one is protein for muscle growth and it appears adequate. If anything cut some carbs and add more fat. Youbwill store less water that way.
  • job187
    Options
    I've been doing a 50/25/25 macro ratio.
    I have no interest in a keto diet.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The macro suggestions MFP provides are just that, suggestions. It's not one size fits all.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

seems fine to me?
  • job187
    Options
    thank you for replying, your advice seems sound to me but I'm not as much concerned about my health as I am about the adverse effects this might have on my physical performance.

I was hoping someone could tell me the effect of substituting carbs with fat on musclegrowth just as I could tell you that underconsuming protein will have adverse effects on protein synthesis.

edit: psulemon: since i'm on a "lean bulk" (150g weekly increase on average) I have a pretty tight buffer on my daily kcal intake. Sure if I wasn't concerned about a slow paced bulk then I could eat as much fat AND carb as i wanted. but thats not the case
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your doctor. A forum like this is not a good place to get advice...every person here has agendas (IE: Atkins, Paleo, etc) and there are many types of fat. You need balance and you might be totally fine OR you could be jeopardizing your health. If you don't feel confident that you are eating enough fruits/vegetables/whole grain, you really should talk to someone who can look at your overall health. The numbers do not tell the full story at all. (I am a healthcare professional...anyone who really is knowledgeable would give similar advice. There are no blanket statements that are healthy for everybody.)

LOL @ AGENDA

That's too funny! :laugh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    What rate are you gaining bodyweight at? I'm not concerned with your fat intake, but that's seems high for total energy intake.

What's your TDEE and rate of gain at this intake?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

I don't condone keto, optimal macro ratio for building muscle/losing fat is usually 40/30/30.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I don't condone keto, optimal macro ratio for building muscle/losing fat is usually 40/30/30.

That's quite the blanket statement
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ These are mine as well.

The main thing I worry about is enough protein: 0.8-1.0 gram/lb LBM. Then I make sure that my fat setting is high enough to cover meats/nuts/desserts and just do carbs for the rest. It's more of a personal preference than anything. There is no such thing as the perfect macro ratio.The people who say otherwise are the ones who could be said to have "an agenda" (^^^^^)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Good point...

...but only if by "optimal", you mean, "favorite" because I'm fairly certain this is just your personal preference and not actually backed by science.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    100g of fat is nothing, no problem at all. Your macros seem fine to me. The only thing that stood out was that you're eating 3600 calories a day and you only weigh 175lbs. You must work out a helluva lot to have that only be a "small" surplus. I'm 6'3" 220lbs and I maintain at 3000 calories, including my workouts. But if it's working for you, more power to ya :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What i have always seen is .8-1 g of protein per lbm, .35g of fat per lb of weight and the rest carbs. At 225g of protein, i thinks its covered.. interested in the response from sidesteel.