Earthlings

Options
2»

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    As distasteful as modern food processing may be we're the ones that demand cheap, abundant food.

This is true. I think it's because a lot of people don't know about what happens behind closed doors of these slaughterhouses. It was said in the movie that if everyone knew, everyone would be vegetarian. Obviously that isn't true because some people in this thread have seen it but still eat meat, and I'm pretty sure the people who work in the slaughterhouses don't have a problem with eating meat. But I think if everyone watched documentaries like this, there would be a lot less meat eaters out there.
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Earthlings made a big impression on me, and between that and Forks over Knives I was convinced to remove meat/eggs from my diet, and am now focusing on dairy.

What I find odd is the disconnect most meat-eaters have with what's on their plate. I was trying to tell my mother about Earthlings and she held up her hands, saying, "I don't even want to know all the stuff that goes on there, I'd never be able to eat chicken again." I have encountered this attitude a lot, and it puzzles me. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Earthlings made a big impression on me, and between that and Forks over Knives I was convinced to remove meat/eggs from my diet, and am now focusing on dairy.

What I find odd is the disconnect most meat-eaters have with what's on their plate. I was trying to tell my mother about Earthlings and she held up her hands, saying, "I don't even want to know all the stuff that goes on there, I'd never be able to eat chicken again." I have encountered this attitude a lot, and it puzzles me. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

i think this is true to some extent. many people just assume that what they are eating is sketchy.

i worked a summer at a slaughterhouse in ohio and it never impacted me in terms of eating meat. i just buy my meat at better places. it's like saying just because something close to slave labor is used to make certain brands of clothes that you're never going to wear any clothes.

but i can understand not wanting to eat meat anymore because of ideological reasons or because it tastes and looks gross.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options

I totally agree with this. my sister didn't want to know anything about it, she's a huge meat eater. I don't understand wanting to stay in the dark about something like that but hey, it's up to you.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    I told my mom and my step dad that I was going vegan yesterday. My step dad kind of got angry, and argued with me that I *need* meat to be healthy. He didn't mention protein like I expected him to, but I couldn't understand what he was saying, he didn't make much sense. I'm sure if I keep up the vegan lifestyle...I'm gonna hear a lot of opinions from people. Not looking foreward to that. My mom doesn't understand why I would restrict myself even more when it's already hard enough finding food for me to eat since I can't eat gluten. I think it seems harder for her than it is to me, now that I have been gluten free for awhile now, I know that there are a lot of options out there. Plus, I have been about 90% dairy free for awhile now anyways, and all I had to cut out from there after meat was eggs and honey. I always thought going vegan would be impossible for me but so far it's been pretty easy. I think it'll be fun trying out new recipes I never would have tried before.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My issue with meat is the conditions in which the animals live in and how they are treated and killed. In some cases I don't see how it's healthy for us at all. If I could buy meat from a place like a previous poster described, I would but not only is it way out of my price range, but I wouldn't even know where to find such a place around here.
    I kind of had an idea that animals for food were not treated the greatest, but I could not BELIEVE how some of them were treated. Disgusting. I had my hand over my mouth throughout about 90% of the movie, and some parts almost made me cry. Maybe I'm just weak but it's horrific.

Try going to www.eatwild.com. You can find if there are humanely pasture-raised animal farmers near you. I found a farm just a few miles from me and was able to visit it. I bought 1/4 of a grass-fed cow for about $6/lb, all the various cuts,and that will last me a year. I also met the butcher - a small local husband/wife business. They butcher animals from each farm on different days to ensure that organic meat stays separate from non-organic. I eat a lot of eggs so I only buy local pastured eggs. I get milk delivered to my door from a small local dairy that sells cream-top... Heavenly. You can make an effort to only buy well-sourced meats and dairy. Buy at farmer's markets. Ask for bulk pricing. Try www.grasslandbeef.com for high quality meats. They're a great company.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oh. I see you're vegan. Nevermind...
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 13 years (most of my life), and I never watch things discussing the meat industry. I understand that awareness is important and the shock factor is essentially the goal, but I can't stomach it. Honestly, I do think it's important to realize what goes on but I don't anticipate it changing anyone into a vegetarian; people like to be blissfully oblivious.
  • ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". I saw it and immediately went out and bought a broom.

HA HA HA HA HA AHA AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I watched ALL of these documentaries because I’m a doc junky especially social/cultural docs….most lean into the extreme for shock value. I’m not saying there isn’t abuse and it is awful…but lets be real.

I love your post!