What age is too young to...

Options
124»

Replies

• coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ask your husband to get the Big V and join the rest of us in the Sunkist club - all juice, no seeds. Seriously, it is a minor procedure for him, and after a short weekend of watching TV with a bag of frozen peas as his best friend, he'll be good to go.

Way easier solution and much less invasive.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am married and my husband says he supports me no matter what i choose. If i want to have another, he's in. If I'm done, he is cool with that as well.

I can't have an IUD because i have PCOS (cyst on my ovaries) as well as a history of cervical cancer. My last doctor said its not ideal and dangerous for me to have one. I have tried Implanon, which goes in your arm for 3 years but I bled for 3 months strait to the point that I passed out due to low iron levels.

I agree to wait a few more years, but i guess a part of me just wants to get it over with so that i can "move on" with the thought that its not even an option. We have already agreed that if we want to have another that we have it before we are 30.

If you're sure, tell him to get a vasectomy, they are far more safer and a lot less invasive.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Most doctors will not tie your tubes at that age with one child. I wanted to get my tubes tied in my 20's and even being married my doctor said no. I am so thankful too because my husband and I did have another child. In my opinion children need a sibling but it is a personal choice.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If you're even remotely wishy washy do not do something permanent. Look at getting an IUD or something. My hubby and I are 26 and married 4 years. Neither of us have ever wanted kids. He got a vasectomy done 3 years ago. I was diagnosed with endometriosis over a year ago and had an endometrial ablation done so my chances of ever being able to get pregnant are nada which is just fine with me. I don't think anyone is too young to make that decision-they just have to know themselves well enough.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You need to be about 25% more sure.

Yep. Paragard IUD. 10 years. No hormones. If youre still ok with not having kids in 10 years, then get the tubal.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Im 31. Had my first and only baby a year ago. I am 90% sure I dont want any more kids. BUT..Im not going to do it until Im 40. There's no rush, ya know. What if I change my mind..
    I think you got plenty of time to change your mind, take your time.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think its incredibly unprofessional for a doctor to refuse to do this if you choose to have it done...especially in a world where there are more than enough unwanted and unplanned babies being born every day.

You could always consider adoption down the road if you really wanted to raise another child.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Get your tubes tied? I'm 26 and I'm about 75% sure I don't want another child (I only have one) and at times I feel like the only thing that keeps me even thinking about having another, is that nothing "solid" has been done to prevent it. I feel like if i just go ahead and have my tubes tied, then I won't be incline to even think about it any more. Your thoughts.

I started trying to get this done at 19. I absolutely 100% did NOT ever want to be pregnant..EVER. The thought of my body having to go through that was "revolting". I never wanted kids, the thought of dirty butts, snotty noses, crying, puking and other 'baby ****' was not in any way appealing to me - at all.

I was turned down for nearly 20 YEARS..before I FINALLY managed to get it done at 37 and even then they were humming and hawwing.. Getting your tubes tied is not for birth control..it's because you NEVER EVER EVER WANT to have a baby, EVER..no IF, no MAYBE..100% F that!

You don't sound that sure, and you have already had 1..so you have already proven you are OK with the whole baby having process. You are also young and a lot can change once you are a mom :) I would hold off for a while. If you are worried about kids have your hubby snipped or use some other control method. While the tubal ligation process can be 'reversed' it's not 100% safe or effective.

The solution to my "baby having" issue was a fantastic boyfriend with a son already birthed and past the 'baby' phase..All of the joy and none of the poo ;) WIN-WIN.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the thread, but how do you feel about adoption? If you are good at bonding with animals or other people's children and feel good about adoption, that may be a way to go for you if you want to get your tubes tied.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I see that you are married. Vasectomies are a lot cheaper and many insurance companies will pay for them. There is less recovery time as well. There is also something for women called "Essure" I believe. It's also less invasive and less costly than getting your tubes tied.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For those who are interested in tubal ligation, there is a less invasive way of having your tubes tied. It's called the Essure procedure. I had mine done in January of last year . It's not immediate, there is a 3 month time span where you have to wait for the coils to be blocked through, but it's much nicer than having abdominal surgery. The whole procedure took less than 10 minutes (spent more time cooling my heels in the day surgical unit), it was only as uncomfortable as having a PAP test done, and I was able to go back to work/exercising the next day. I was tired of having to take hormonal birth control, to always having to worry if it would fail again (oh hai i have a kid now). I wanted my life and body back - we were ambivalent about having a second child so I decided it was time for the next step.

http://essure.com/
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My cousin just had her 2nd child in August and got hers done while they were in there (her son was a c-section). She's 25. When I have my 2nd kid (whenever that may be) I'm going for the same option. Hubby's gonna get snipped while we're at it just so we're on the same page.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't think any age is too young to get a tubal ligation or a vasectomy. I think it's dumb that there's so many hoops to jump through. It's like doctors don't trust your ability to make decisions.......

If you definitely think that you are done with the baby-making, then by all means at least get a consultation and go from there.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that it's your decision so my thoughts are irrelevant.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    It's your decision but good luck finding a DR to do it for you.

I tried over and over starting @ my mid 20s and they all said the same thing. I was too young, it was irreversible, I might change my mind...blah blah blah blah.
  • Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Why do men get to choose at 21 and a woman's doctor says 26 with one child is too young? I had my son at 26 and had them tied as soon as I gave birth, I knew I only wanted one period. Just keep looking you will find a doctor that will do it.