Protein Powder.......Is it good for me?

Options
I'm debating the use of protein powder...I can never get enough protein in my diet and I am looking into possibly taking one. I need one that tastes good and it not going to kill my checkbook! lol What do you take, what flavor is it, where do you buy it at, and how much does it cost? Yeah, a bunch of questions! Thanks!

Replies

• curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I use ON 100% chocolate whey. It's a 5lb tub for about 40-50 bucks.
  • curvykim78
    Options
    I use ON 100% chocolate whey. It's a 5lb tub for about 40-50 bucks.

Your pic just made me laugh out loud..... :)
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Total Lean 25 Protein Powder. It's VERY tasty. The Rich Chocolate is my favorite. They have various flavors, a tub lasts about 3-4 weeks for me (I drink one most days for lunch during the work week), and it's about $35 for a tub. A lot of powders taste gross, but this one truly is delicious!! I mix mine with almond milk. Very very good!
  • phillips0911
    Options
    Precision Whey Protein
    Deluxe Chocolate Flavor
    1 Scoop: 100 calories, 2 carbs, 18g protein, +calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
    Love it.

It's a HUGE (5pounds or 80 ounces) tub and was like $40. I've been working on it for a year... lol

I use half a scoop in my shake because I don't feel well w/ too much protein powder (just a me thing). I love it though. I make a choc banana shake w/ almond milk and a dash of ground cinnamon, and 1/2 cup strawberries! yuuummm
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i get pro-10 powders, in choc plain vanilla and strawb

14.99 for 1kg

purchased from amazon

taste great in shakes, added to cooking, added to almost anything :)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Not if you snort it!

But yes, try to get some with ample BCAAs!
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    TBH you don't need unless you are not getting enough protein from other sources in your diet. If you need something to meet your protein goal for the day, it can help do that. Personally, I'd rather eat the protein in the form of say, chicken or beef, than to drink a shake.

I guess if you want to amp stuff up, like adding it oatmeal or yogurt, it's good for that.

ETA: DURRRR... I see where you said you're already not getting enough from food :) Sorry I was skimming. I like ON Casein if I'm looking to tide over my hunger for a longer period and AllMax IsoFlex or ON Gold Standard for other purpose.
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I prefer whey protein ISOLATE. It's a more refined version of the regular protein powder. Has less cholesterol, less fat, less calories with the same amount of protein per scoop. Do some online searches for that specifically and you can get an idea of the differences.

I use NOW Whey Protein Isolate all the time. They have it on Amazon for reasonably cheap. I personally prefer the unflavored one mixed with pink lemonade crystal light. Can't tell the difference. Or, the vanilla version mixed with the same stuff -- it tastes like a cream cicle!!!!!

Hope this helps.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition. I like the Double Chocolate flavor mixed with skim milk. Can't stomach it with water.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I use Plant Fusion (vegan friendly) because I have some digestive issues and this is the only brand that I found that won't cause upset for me. I get it on Amazon and it's about $30 for a 2lb bottle. I always buy 2 jugs at a time, 1 vanilla & 1 chocolate. I have 1 protein shake a day and the 2 jugs usually last me about 3 months.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut But $15.88 at Walmart.
  • Lacebopp
    Lacebopp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use Eas Lean 15. Just 100 calories in 2 scoops, and I mix into my smoothie, so I use Vanilla since it goes with so many liquids. Normally I use pure Coconut Water. Also, one big container is only about $16. I get it at CVS.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 Vanilla Ice Cream. A 44g scoop (one serving) is: 190 calories, 13g carbs, 6g fat, 22g protein. I mix it with a cup of frozen strawberries, a cup of Danon Light & Fit vanilla yogurt, a cup of Silk Pure original unsweetened almond milk, and six ice cubes. Tastes like a vanilla/strawberry milkshake. You can check my diary for the full numbers on the shake (I think it's public). It's usually under "Snacks".

Edit: Forgot to answer your "cost" question. I paid $30 with a coupon for the 5lb tub.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I take, ON(optimum nutrition) Pro Complex. Rich Milk Chocolate 4.6lb
    270 Calories per serviing
    60 grams of protein
    5 carbs i believe

I order it from Amazon for 60 bucks
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    I use Vitasport Pro7ein Synthesis Vanilla. 5lbs for about $35. Taste great and packs a bunch of protein.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use Super Fortress (Chocolate) from Wal-Mart . A 2 lb. tub cast from $12 to $15.
    I mix mine with distrilled water and and a table spoon of milled Flax seed. Good. The Strawberry does not taste good.
  • Karenlyn426
    Options
    So my question is if you are all taking a protein supplement, why do you take it? Does it help you loose weight? Make you feel stronger? My friend suggests that with a 5 meal a day routine that a protein shake should replace 1-2 meals a day for optimum weight loss. I guess this is so you are not eating the fat and carbs. What is your opinion on using the protein powder?

Thanks
  • curvykim78
    Options
    So my question is if you are all taking a protein supplement, why do you take it? Does it help you loose weight? Make you feel stronger? My friend suggests that with a 5 meal a day routine that a protein shake should replace 1-2 meals a day for optimum weight loss. I guess this is so you are not eating the fat and carbs. What is your opinion on using the protein powder?

Thanks

I am hoping that taking it will aide in my muscle building/weight loss because I can never eat enough protein, no matter how hard I try...so I'm trying a new option. :)
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    I get the GNC pro performance amp. It's whey isolate with leucine, BCAAs, etc, and I think it was about $25 for 1.22 lbs. The whey isolate is supposed to be better/more quickly absorbed, but you'll notice it does cost slightly more. It's worth it. I have vanilla right now and I like that it's more universal as far as what you can mix with it. Sometimes I throw in a squeeze of sugar free chocolate syrup. Also comes in chocolate (meh), cookies n cream (yum), and I think blueberry (haven't been brave enough to try that yet).

It lists one serving as 3 scoops (280 cal, 60 G protein) but I only use scoop at a time. Generally speaking, you can only absorb something like 20-26 G protein at a time, so it'd be a waste to take more. The exception being massive men. They can handle 60 G at a shot :)