Is coffee bad for you?

Options
Just looking for some points of view from some real people. Is coffee bad for you?

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't think coffee in its self is bad for you. Now the creamer and sugar is another story. Obviously drinking 10 cups a day isn't good because of all the caffeine but I do have 2-3 cups a day =)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    No - the caffeine in coffee actually boosts (slightly) your metabolism. Like FFL said - it's the stuff you put into the coffee and the total amount of coffee/caffeine you need to be concerned with.

1-3 cups a day is fine.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've cut it out before and I didn't feel any better at all. I must have it in the morning!!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's only dangerous to those around me if I haven't had my 2-3 cups.

exactly. I drink my black so I don't add anything extra in it that makes it bad
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Oh brother. Here we go.

I've been drinking coffee for better than 30 years. And, I drink A LOT. If it was bad for me, I should know.

All the research in all the studies all over the world is inconclusive. Therefore, all you will get are peoples opinions on what they think which is based on a pop culture magazine they read somewhere, or in a news clip on TV. But, there is no conclusive evidence either way.

So,. drink it. Don't drink it. Doesn't matter.
  • a_stone_girl_dances
    Options

Same here. :)
  • allknowingtomato
    allknowingtomato Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do not think coffee is bad for you. I think coffee drinks that are mostly milkshakes are pretty bad for you.

Coffee is very-low calorie (3-5cal in a cup of black coffee) and helps break up the monotony of other low-cal drinks. it is hot and it gives you energy. I also find that it helps me not eat if i am in an "in between" time (example: between breakfast and lunch and there are leftover halloween candy bowls in the break room, i'll get myself a cup of black coffee and avoid the temptation) or a time when i am low-energy but without extra calories to spare.

Warning, though - coffee on an empty stomach can give you a tummy ache.

i drink mine black, with a SF syrup (almond, hazelnut, and vanilla are all great), and/or with a little unsweetened almond milk/ half-and-half.

Edit: just be sure to track your consumption if you put anything in your coffee. you want to know if your 5 cups of coffee a day with a little half-and-half are actually costing you 120+cals. You also want to have the data so you can see if there are any differences cutting out SF syrups/products (some people swear by avoiding fake sugars.)
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me, yes. My blood pressure goes up within minutes of consuming it. Just depends on what you're going for!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It's not bad for you but it's not necessarily good for you either. It causes different issues for different people and none for others. But if you ARE having issues with it, Teeccino is an EXCELLENT substitute. NO caffeine, NO acid but tasts just like coffee. I used it to ween myself off of coffee. I sleep better at night now and it doesn't upset my stomach. The only drawback is it does have a few more calories than coffee.
  • AnelDB
    AnelDB Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation right? If drinking a cup of coffee means I'm not going to devour something else in the kitchen, it's all good.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Oh brother. Here we go.

I've been drinking coffee for better than 30 years. And, I drink A LOT. If it was bad for me, I should know.

All the research in all the studies all over the world is inconclusive. Therefore, all you will get are peoples opinions on what they think which is based on a pop culture magazine they read somewhere, or in a news clip on TV. But, there is no conclusive evidence either way.

So,. drink it. Don't drink it. Doesn't matter.

I'm intolerant to caffeine. That's pretty conclusive. For me. It's bad. Period.
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sure it is. It has all kinds of crazy side effects and can be wearing on your heart.

This is just plain false.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Not for me, I love it.
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    my kids don't even talk to me until i have had my first cup in the morning :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Love it, woulndt get through the morning without one :)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Sure it is. It has all kinds of crazy side effects and can be wearing on your heart.

This is just plain false.

Nope. YOUR comment is just plain false:
    http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20020801/is-caffeine-bad-for-your-heart
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a natural appetite suppresant. I LOVE me a good cup of Joe! My favorite is Island Coconut.