Small Success so far

Options
Good Morning, everyone. I know this isn't much compared to some of the other amazing stories out there, but I'm happy to report that since I started about a month ago, I'm down over 9 lbs. Considering that i weighted 347 at the time, I know that isn't much. More over, my body fat has dropped from 40% to 37.4%. If I understand how that works, I think I can see that my net progress is eve better.

347 lbs * 40% fat = 138.8 lbs of fat
337.6 lbs * 37.4% fat = 126.3 lbs of fat

138.8-126.3 = 12.5 lbs of total fat loss

So since the scale is showing a loss of only 9.4 lbs, I think this means that I've actually gained a little over 3 lbs in muscle mass; which as we know will help burn more fat.

Am I interpreting my results correctly, or am I off somewhere? My approximate goal weight is somewhere around 289 lbs for now, or basically to get below 25% body fat. For my height and build, I should probably be more like 220 lbs, but baby steps, right?

-Dan

Replies

• schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great start! :)
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I may not be "much"... but, I think it's GREAT!!! Every little bit helps. And, I'm sure you already feel better.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    don't say it's "not much" - it's 9 pounds!!!!! that's a lot!!!!! you are on the right track and now that you're going, nobody can stop you!
    oh and i definitely think it's great that you are taking into consideration the gain of muscle, not just the loss of fat! keep up the good work, i'm sure you will continue to see results!!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Great work! And in 1 month! I would be doin the Happy Hance!

Hey! Let's just do the Happy Dance....
  • dant98
    Options
    Congrats on a great start! What are you using to measure body fat%-- many at home devices are either not that accurate or difficult to utilize consistently (calipers)-- but, as long as you use the same method and/or try to be really consistent with the calipers-- it will show the trend-- which is all that really matters!

Rock on!

The gym has a hand-held device that the trainers use to measure fat. It's the type that have electrodes where your hands go. You also input your height, weight, and I think age so it can calculate your BMI also (which I think is much less useful).
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    9lbs is a great start, and it can only get better for you.

It all seems really difficult at the start, but as you get into your new `life` it gets soooo much easier.

Consider yourself in the early learning stage, keep logging, doing a little more exercise each day and it will become second nature to you.

There is so much information on MFP.

Well done to you keep up the fantastic work Dan!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!