Treadmill vs. Elliptical

Options
In your opinion, which is better, and why?

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I prefer the Arc Trainer. Less impact than treadmill and burns more calories than both.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    outdoors.

but if you have leg/knee problems, and are looking to get cardio in without aggravating any injuries, then elliptical.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Switch it up; do them all.
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Been wondering this myself. i have a treadmil but see everyone burning 2 x's the calories with ellipticals.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    treadmill...it usually weighs more...

which was intended as a joke to say "neither" with a meathead vibe to it....which no one would get and would be just a stupid reply...

so instead, scoff at me making fun of myself and lack of a witty sense of humor.

I need therapy...fml.
  • fiona2785
    Options
    Personally prefer elliptical, but purely because I tend to have tendon issues in my lower legs and it's much lower impact.
  • propelrunrebel
    Options
    Treadmill. Elliptical is too easy for me. Good for light days, days where my legs can't handle impact or days after leg days. I prefer, rather than either one, to run outside. You notice things you don't notice when driving, and it makes you appreciate how pretty nature is (depending on where you choose to run!). But I feel that I get so much more out of the treadmill than the elliptical, more time well spent.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Running is the best for me, but I cannot stand running on a treadmill since I switched to track running. I get bored and lose motivation so quickly.
    So usually I run around the track or outdoors. Sometimes I hop on the elliptical if I feel like watching a show and nobody else is in that area of the gym (hurray, control of the remote!)
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for me. I have been burning upwards of 400 calories in 30 minutes on them!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Better in what way? What are you hoping to achieve?
    Different exercises with different benefits.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical mainly because its more entertaining for me. However, it makes my feet numb and cramp up so I cant stay on it long. Then I switch back to treadmill.
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My eilliptical kicks my *kitten*..... Love it, couldn't live without it! Miss her right now!
  • phillips0911
    Options
    Arc trainer. SO much better and easier on the knees. I love it. Second is the treadmill because I like to walk.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    depends what you're going for. I'm training for a marathon, so obviously the elliptical isn't the best option for me.

What are you goals? What do you want to do? are you buying or going to a gym?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    elliptical. No impact on the joints. Most also let you work the upper body too.
    There is another type, I think it is the arc, that has more degrees of movement. Circular to vertical climb simulator. Variable stride too.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

I'm just wondering for fat-burning purposes, and of course toning. I have both machines at home, and can usually burn around 500 cal in 60 minutes on my treadmill. We just got the elliptical. I was just wondering which people preferred, and why.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I like both. I depends on my mood which machine I want to get on that day!
  • krisiepoo
    Options
    treadmill...it usually weighs more...

which was intended as a joke to say "neither" with a meathead vibe to it....which no one would get and would be just a stupid reply...

so instead, scoff at me making fun of myself and lack of a witty sense of humor.

I need therapy...fml.

Your friday is going the same direction as mine it seems! TGIF!!
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, which is better, and why?

I can burn off more and with less pain on the elliptical.
  • krisiepoo
    Options

I'm just wondering for fat-burning purposes, and of course toning. I have both machines at home, and can usually burn around 500 cal in 60 minutes on my treadmill. We just got the elliptical. I was just wondering which people preferred, and why.

In that case, neither :) I like running outside