500-600 calories

Options
I eat 500-600 calories a day, This has increased from around 400 which helped me lose A LOT of weight. But since starting a new job, working 12 hour shifts, I eat my usual Apple or greek yogurt for breakfast, 2 ryvitas with 2 laughing cow triangles for lunch or a banana, then a 205g of pasta shapes in tomato sauce for dinner or a salad,
But at night time i crave fruit and have no idea how to control my cravings, its not for chocolate or any other bad things but 100 calories for a banana on top of apples, raspberries strawberries and grapes ruins my day completely! so mad at myself what do i do :(

Replies

• liviilooseweight
    liviilooseweight Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy for you! It's okay to eat these at night! At least you are not craving chocolate before bed like me. Consider yourself lucky :)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Common sense really.

500-600 is ridiculously low. Fruit is not going to ruin your day. You could be eating at least 1,000 more calories and be losing weight.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    What do you do? Eat more.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Eat food. That really helps to satisfy those cravings.
  • JessicaS143
    Options
    If i increase my calories now though will i gain weight stupidly fast after eating so little for so long?
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    When I was SICK I was eating twice this. Eat more, that's the only answer.
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    You eat the fruit, pluss 900 other calories in order to supply your body with the nutrients it needs. Problem solved.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Water, glycogen, and "weight" yes. But that is normal.
    Will you gain fat? Doubt it.

Eating that little for so long WILL ruin your metabolism. Do you want to eat that little for the rest of your life?
    Eating that little also will cause many problem. Loss of hair, brittle nails, body eats away at your heart, and many more health problems. Is it really worth it?

Slow and steady
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else, eat more. You're right about the possibility of gaining back what you lost, but that would have happened eventually anyway. You're not eating a healthy amount of calories that you would be able to maintain over a long period of time. The minute you upped your calories, out of hunger, or because your diet was over, you would have started gaining. You need to find a healthy calorie goal (probably 1400-1700, depending on your stats) and eat that consistently for a month or two. Your weight loss will be slower, but you won't be starving yourself.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If i increase my calories now though will i gain weight stupidly fast after eating so little for so long?

Yes, but only if your protein exceeds 27 grams in a day :sick:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You have to eat more. You're not having cravings, you're having legitimate hunger. Try upping your calories gradually to avoid gaining a bunch but even if you DO gain weight you will be so so so much healthier. I was maintaining on 900 calories when I joined and now I maintain at 1750. It can be done, it just takes guts and some patience.
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    umm isn't 500-600 calories dangerously low? You need to eat food or else you are going to hurt your body and you don't want that happening. Fruit is good for you... 100+ calories of fruit is not going to hurt you. But seriously, you need to increase your calories to at least 1200
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You're starving yourself and you're concerned about gaining weight? I'd be more concerned about my physical and mental well being...please see a professional if you are truly questioning whether or not to continue the starvation approach...you are killing yourself.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Up your cals! There's no way you can get adequate nutrition at those numbers.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You're starving yourself and you're concerned about gaining weight? I'd be more concerned about my physical and mental well being...please see a professional if you are truly questioning whether or not to continue the starvation approach...you are killing yourself.

^^THIS^^
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

From what I have read, yes you will gain for a week or two while your body readjusts, but will start to lose again, in a healthy way. A 2week weight gain is worth it to be healthy and not die of heart problems..
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 500-600 calories a day, This has increased from around 400 which helped me lose A LOT of weight. But since starting a new job, working 12 hour shifts, I eat my usual Apple or greek yogurt for breakfast, 2 ryvitas with 2 laughing cow triangles for lunch or a banana, then a 205g of pasta shapes in tomato sauce for dinner or a salad,
    But at night time i crave fruit and have no idea how to control my cravings, its not for chocolate or any other bad things but 100 calories for a banana on top of apples, raspberries strawberries and grapes ruins my day completely! so mad at myself what do i do :(

I eat that much ice cream daily. You need to eat more, much more.
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    Trust me, eating that less is not worth it! I've done it and it seems so easy sticking to low calories at first, but then there comes a point, maybe 4 months, or 6 months, or even 10 months down the line, when you cannot eat that less and you crave not just fruit, but everything!

There would be times when I'd come downstairs at 3am in the morning to binge on anything that I could find to eat. Some days there was literally nothing so I'd binge on things like mustard or mayonnaise out the jar or a tub of double cream, or dry weetabix. Once I even ate raw cauliflower as I was so hungry.

This is what got me fat, I was within the normal weight range before I started eating so less. Seriously; eat more.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I doubt your body can get the proper nutrients at just 500-600 calories per day. That's one of the reasons why you're craving fruit. Plus, your body needs good, healthy fats to have proper function. If you continue to eat so few calories, you're going to see the effects on other areas of your body and it won't be pretty. Your hair and skin will suffer as well as your muscles-and the heart is a muscle!

Try adding 150-200 calories each week until you are up to 1200 calories. Then hang out there. You may find you need to eat 1400 calories. It's okay. You need to eat. Seriously.:flowerforyou:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Please talk to someone.
    In the meantime try increasing your calories a little bit each day.
This discussion has been closed.