Looking for recipes for greens

Options
mactaffy84
mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
Hi, everyone,

I'm looking for some recipes for greens- kale, Swiss chard, etc. I've tried steaming, but it didn't come out that good (as a matter-of-fact, I had to toss it). I have heard how good this stuff is for you, but I don't know how to cook it at all. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually just do a quick sautee in garlic and salt.

Cold skillet. Olive oil. Smashed or minced garlic. Pinch or 2 of salt. Heat on med. Until fragrant and garlic starts to brown. I start with a cold pan, otherwise garlic tends to burn quickly if added to hot oil and they won't a chance to flavor the oil. Add greens. You may need to add a spash of water or chicken broth along the way if it is a little dry and to keep to the garlic from burning. Sautee until done.
  • jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    And kale is really good shredded and added to a soup of chicken broth, potatoes, sweet italian sausage, and a spash of milk/cream.
  • MsBookandTea
    MsBookandTea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hate greens. The only way I can eat it is if I put it through a blender. I usually do this in the morning. :bigsmile:
  • wdamisch
    wdamisch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to know the same thing, I started a post and got several good suggestions. Hopefully the following link will get you there:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/791821-how-to-cook-greens
    Good luck.
  • thephatliz
    thephatliz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Martha Stewart has a really simple good Lemony Kale salad recipe. You can also make kale chips by baking in a low oven after spraying with a bit of olive oil and sea salt. These are good crushed and added to popcorn.

Make sure you remove the rib as it is tough and bitter!
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I actually did a search, but didn't see your posting. You all rock!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Look up the recipe for zuppa toscana from Olive Garden!