water fasting

Options
13»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    you are probably going to get a lot of negative responses on here..... Most people don't have any experience with it and are not educated about it. I have water fasted, I have also juice fasted or just ate fruit or just fruits and vegetables for an extended period of time with amazing results for certain heath problems I was having. Clear skin, perfect digestion, clear thinking, better mood afterwards, you just have to do your research and do it right. It does take a lot of will power though.

Juicing is not a true fast as Juicing is the same diet as being a Vegan. The only difference is one requires you to drink your food instead of eating it.

its incredibly healthy to give your liver and digestive system a rest... When the body isn't focused on digesting it turns its attention to getting rid of damaged and diseased tissues and cells, healing and cleansing toxins.

The liver can't filter out all the crap we breath in and drink, pesticides preservatives and artificial ingredients were not meant for our bodies and very unhealthy over the long term. Not to mention ever the counter and illegal drug, pollution in out air and water and all that.... Its not natural and our livers an only handle so much.

just make sure you do your own research, there's a few really good videos on YouTube of people who have done it.

also you might try googling banana island.... Pretty amazing stuff. Just keep an open mind and educate yourself....

There are a lot of benefits to fasting but some of what you say sounds like a fairytale. Posting real fasting research from science journals can get your post some respect instead of making a wild claim with nothing to back you up.

well I'm too lazy to do that.... That's why I said do your own research... That's how I figured it out for myself. And at least I answered the op question.

You have absolutely NO evidence to back up this claim:
    its incredibly healthy to give your liver and digestive system a rest... When the body isn't focused on digesting it turns its attention to getting rid of damaged and diseased tissues and cells, healing and cleansing toxins.

The liver can't filter out all the crap we breath in and drink, pesticides preservatives and artificial ingredients were not meant for our bodies and very unhealthy over the long term. Not to mention ever the counter and illegal drug, pollution in out air and water and all that.... Its not natural and our livers an only handle so much.

It's nonsense.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fuel to run. How could not putting fuel in it be a good thing? Try it first with your car and if it makes your car run better then go for it. The body is much more efficient than than the car and it will find fuel elsewhere when it's deprived but that isn't a detoxification of any kind. Your body does the detoxing all on it's own. Not fueling it just makes it work harder to maintain it's daily functions.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-truth-fasting-effective-weight-loss
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Your liver does not need a "rest". Lack of proper nutrition can cause liver damage, which in extreme cases can be permanent and cause death or the need for a new liver. How is that helping anyone to be healthy?

Why do people get so incredibly stupid when it comes to dieting? Eat healthy foods in proper quantities. Drink water.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options

Juicing is not a true fast as Juicing is the same diet as being a Vegan. The only difference is one requires you to drink your food instead of eating it.

Whaaaa? Do you really think vegans only eat fruits and vegetables? They can eat a wide variety of things, as long as it's not animal products.
  • espi180
    espi180 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have actually began an extended water fast at the first of the year. I'm on day five and I feel great so far. The first three days were very difficult. I spent a year reading books and researching the topic, before I made the decision to fast myself. My main purpose is religious. I am being supervised throughout my fast to make sure I do not harm myself.

There is no middle ground to what people think about a water fast. People are either for it, or adamantly against it. I recommend doing your research. There is a lot of preparation one needs to go through in order to prepare for the fast, or it will be a miserable beginning.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

leangains.com
    theiflife.com
    eatstopeat.com
    http://bradpilon.com/

I do intermittent fasting. My version involves water fasting from breakfast one day to breakfast the next (24hrs) and I really enjoy eating this way. I consume about 300-500 calories on the morning I start my fast and I drink only water until the same time the next day. Google IF (intermittent fasting) or ADF/EOD (alternate day fasting/every other day) fasting. Another fitness guru's program "Eat, stop, eat" is really good reading also. There is tons of information about it online.

I chose to do 24hr water fasts twice a week. I eat healthy for the most part the rest of the week. I lose weight consistently, and I have not lost lean body mass because 24hrs is not long enough to put one into starvation mode.

Read up, make an informed decision and figure out what works for you. People will have opinions on both ends, but what matters is how you feel about what you are doing with your body.
    love this!! i just watched a video about adf that a previous poster posted. i absolutely love the benifits from doing this. and i think im going to give it a try!.. all people who think this is stupid of dangerous or just plain stupid really should watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

Sure, cos YouTube is a recognised peer-reviewed science journal, right?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    so the other day i found a video on youtube about water fasting.. im just curious on your thoughts about it.. good idea/ bad idea... have any of you tried this? what were the results? it is said that water fasting detoxifies your body... what are the side effects?

What medical qualifications did the YouTuber have? How exactly does it 'detoxify' the body do you honestly think all 'toxins' can come out in your pee? If so why do you sweat, breathe and poop? Do you consider famine victims and anorexics totally 'toxin' free and healthy? Do you watch the 'flat earth' and 'America is run by shape shifting aliens' YouTube videos?

Possible side effects: severe constipation, electrolyte imbalances, permanent damage to the heart and other organs, muscle wastage, total lack of energy, brain fog, insomnia, immune suppression .... oh and death.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've done it. You end up feeling like death and can hardly function. Then all the weight you lose comes right back on.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. so everyone thinkgs its stupid and pointless.. now is there anyone out there that has tried it and wants to share there story

I once did a 24 hour water fast - but it was for spiritual purposes and not diet or detoxification. That being said, severely undereating for one day will not screw up your metabolism, but regularly eating below your BMR will.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I could never think of doing that I drink 3.5 litres of it a day :laugh:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have actually began an extended water fast at the first of the year. I'm on day five and I feel great so far. The first three days were very difficult. I spent a year reading books and researching the topic, before I made the decision to fast myself. My main purpose is religious. I am being supervised throughout my fast to make sure I do not harm myself.

There is no middle ground to what people think about a water fast. People are either for it, or adamantly against it. I recommend doing your research. There is a lot of preparation one needs to go through in order to prepare for the fast, or it will be a miserable beginning.

People have done loads of dumb things for religious purposes and this is another. No offenceintend but it's true right?

And to the OP you are going to be even fatter on your wedding day. Bet your new husband will be over the moon and you'll be cringing everytime you see your wedding pics. Wake up and smell the coffee before you run out of time. Eat at a moderate deficite and get in some exercise most days so you can be that gorgeous bride you want to be. I wish you sucess. Follow what some of the people with great success on here have done and by that I don't mean the ones starving their bodies.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Any time I've gone more than 48-60 hours with nothing but water I get really bad muscle cramps (due to electrolyte imbalance). To fix the muscle cramps, I would just drink powerade zero or take an electrolyte tablet. Also, your metabolism may start to slow if you go longer than 60 hours. However, 36-48 hours can boost your metabolism. When I plateau, sometimes I'll fast for 44 hours. Normally I fast for 20 hours since I do 20/4 IF.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The fact this thread even exists is p*ssing me right off.