How to burn 500 to 700 cals an hour ?

I see a lot of people who burn at least this many, what are you doing ? I like to hike a nearby ridge but bodybugg says I only burn around 350. Can you throw some examples my way please!

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    i can burn about 450 in 30 minutes of HIIT running

the intervals are 1 minute walking, 1 minute jogging, 1 minute running

keep in mind, each body burns calories differently based on bodyfat, gender, size
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Insanity-all are between 500 and 1000 depending on the month/workout. Lots of muscle training too.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    unless they are monitoring their heart rates they have no idea how many calories they are burning...

i can do the same workout on two different treadmills and the calorie count is different by more than 100 calories
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    interval training) i can burn up to 600 cal an hr 5'8 159 pounds jogging 1min walking 1min and so forth i also pushing a jogging stroller with 6 kilo bub in it :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Umm.....Run?!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    being really overweight and out of shape helps.
    i remember when i first started kickboxing class my cardio fitness was horrible. i burned a little over 800 cals per class according to my HRM. my heart rate was hella high and i had to take lots of breaks

6 months later i took the same class, would take no breaks and my calorie burn would be half that even though i had only lost like 20 pounds. the difference is that my fitness had increased that much that the class was half as hard as wehn i started
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Well a lot depends on age, gender, weight, height. The bigger and younger you are and if you are a man then you'll burn more. The higher your fitness level the less you burn.

Then there's the fact that people use all kinds of calculators to estimate their burns and often get exaggerated numbers. Unless you know someone is exactly the same as you then you really can't compare. I generally burn around 300 calories per 1/2 hour of running outside using my HRM but that's me!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    P90X
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    unless they are monitoring their heart rates they have no idea how many calories they are burning...

i can do the same workout on two different treadmills and the calorie count is different by more than 100 calories

Bwahhahahaha......OK.

smiley-laughing025.gif
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Insanity-all are between 500 and 1000 depending on the month/workout. Lots of muscle training too.

False. I am 5'4 120 and burn between 200-350 doing insanity. 400 on max interval.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 751 Member
    get off your *kitten* and get moving! lol, seriously I can burn about 500 calories by running for 45 minutes, which is my regular exercise. I also do programs like insanity, depending on which session your doing it could be about 500 calories too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i push myself to the limit
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Well a lot depends on age, gender, weight, height.

I'm 210 pounds, 6'2" and I burn about 900 - 1000 calories in under 50 minutes. Just run 5 miles. Outside of course. I don't get near that many calories off of a treadmill. (I'm using a Polar FT7 to count calories)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    I did P90X and still do some X workouts and I burn that much doing Plyo X, Kenpo X, most of those workouts. Also, I'm burning more calories throughout the day with ChaLEAN Extreme b/c I'm lifting heavy (for me, anyway lol) and revving my metabolism!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 751 Member

False. I am 5'4 120 and burn between 200-350 doing insanity. 400 on max interval.

that's because your 120 pounds, your not going to burn as much as someone with more body weight, as they have to exert more energy. For instance, myself, I weigh 175 and can burn 500 calories in a Max Interval training.. around 350-450 in a phase one workout.

Like someone said above, everyone is different. Not everyone is going to burn the same amount of calories doing the same exercise
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Run! I don't think hiking will do it because it doesn't raise your heart rate enough
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Like others have said...it depends on a lot of different things. When i first started working out at 220 pounds i would burn around 1000 for an hour and a half of cardio. Now at 135 I only burn 600
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    like this
    Obbms.gif
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member

Bwahhahahaha......OK.

smiley-laughing025.gif

Yeah, I just thought that this response was funny.
    Man, I have more of a mean side than I thought!
  • I have been doing the Zumba Fitness for Wii. A 45 minute class burns b/w 600 to 700 calories. The 66 minute class can burn as many as 1000 calories! Love it because not only am I getting a good workout but it is fun and makes me want to keep doing it. I think they have Zumba for some of the other gaming machines too.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Running!!!! Its one of the best calorie burners.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member

Same here, though it'd be nice if it reached even close to 400 for me, lol.
  • kellyholmberg
    kellyholmberg Posts: 3 Member
    Everyone is saying it....Run! But even that depends on how fast you are running. I know when I'm dragging I can run pretty slow and a speed walker might pass me by. But when I'm really going fast I burn a ton of calories. I really hate running but it does do the trick. Currently I'm doing crossfit and love it. Not only am I running during class but I am lifting weights which burns fat faster than straight cardio. Check it out if you are looking for something to change up your workout. I love it because it is quick, different everyday, and always a challenge.

crossfit.com google it to find a local box.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Calorie burn is largely about intensity. For example, in Spin class (cycling is my strong suit), my HRM will usually indicate 750+ calories burned. Hitting the road or trail can come close to 1,000 calories an hour. Today on the treadmill, 592 calories in 42 minutes, averaging 10 minute miles.

My average heart rate is between 140 and 150bpm, with my max coming in north of 180bpm. You'd be surprised what your body is capable of; however, on the same time, be aware of your own capabilities and comfort zone. I like hunting for my max heart rate on tough intervals, and I'm also a relatively young, tall guy - age 28, 6'2", 189lbs - so it takes a lot more caloric energy to make me go fast.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    I burn roughly 100 calories every 10 minutes running and on the elliptical.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I burn about 150 calories every 10 minutes doing jump rope.
  • Insanity or Zumba,
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    The elliptical Machine will do it for you easy..........
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    I do interval training. Jog 1 minute walk 1 minute. I wear an HRM (PolarFT4). Today in an hour I burned 625 calories.
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Really depends on how hard your pushing yourself. I wear a HRM and burn 400 calories with one trainer in spin class for 60 min and 550 with another trainer....who literally pushes me till I want to puke. Running for me burns about 550calories an hour, but I run hills and hard. Do what you love to do just push a little harder:)