Nvmd
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    nvmd
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If i increase my calories now though will i gain weight stupidly fast after eating so little for so long?

Yes, but only if your protein exceeds 27 grams in a day :sick:

I would say the same thing about carb intake, instead of proteins. Proteins are good for your body as they provide immediate energy, which OP must be using since she works 12 hour shifts. Carbs are what make you store fat if you eat a lot of them.
    What? No. Carbs provide immediate energy. It takes roughly all day for your body to decide to convert protein to glucose to use for energy. Protein has a million other bodily functions before it's used for energy. Carbs are specifically for energy.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    500-600 cals in a day for any HUMAN adult is stupidity. Unless you're 5'0", don't go under 1200. It's not hard, it's not rocket science. As Robin said a few pages back, EAT DAMMIT!!! And 1200 cals doesn't work unless you're sitting on your butt all day, which it doesn't sound like you are. Log your exercise, eat your exercise calories back.... and if you eat normally, YES, you should expect some gains at first before your body evens out and realizes you're not going to continue starving to the brink of anorexia/death, but you'll find a balance.

Just eat. Eat healthy. Get protein, healthy fats, veggies, whole grains.

Don't be stupid.
  • FeliciaFitRNModel
    Options
    hey thats what I eat too and lots of tictacs, cigarettes and water.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Profile says 33 years old. I don't mean to pry but is everything ok at home? You can talk to me if there is abusive husband (if anyone ever wished to marry such a "special" person as you), or parents or something. Or if mid-life crisis came early for you.

You don't have to take it out on random kids, talk to me dear. Together we can make sure we can get you through this. I am worried by this kind of behavior since this is a cry for help by people who might take the drastic measure of off'ing themselve. Please don't do it :(

Geez. Am I really THAT bad?

Dear everyone,

I apologize for being snarky, rude, and making sarcastic comments in the forums. What was I thinking?!?

Sincerely,
    That non-funny morbid b!tch

Typically on these forums, even amongst the "mean" people of MFP there is an unwritten code not to be sarcastic or rude to people who already are or probably should be diagnosed with ED. What you and I might think as fun or pure sarcasm, other might take it serious and take it as a sound advice.

If you really are sorry, please be kind and delete your original post. You have to remember that these posts can be seen much later via anyone who does a search (hence putting more ED people at risk of getting encouragement).

Thank you
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If i increase my calories now though will i gain weight stupidly fast after eating so little for so long?

Yes, but only if your protein exceeds 27 grams in a day :sick:

I would say the same thing about carb intake, instead of proteins. Proteins are good for your body as they provide immediate energy, which OP must be using since she works 12 hour shifts. Carbs are what make you store fat if you eat a lot of them.
    What? No. Carbs provide immediate energy. It takes roughly all day for your body to decide to convert protein to glucose to use for energy. Protein has a million other bodily functions before it's used for energy. Carbs are specifically for energy.
    61d53f1c-4365-455f-ac09-d0d462fdabb8.gif
  • InPieces3
    Options
    I know. Everyone is saying the same thing... EAT. Well it is pretty simple and true. You are starving yourself... but why are you doing it? Not our business really, but you put it out there and now we would like to know why? If you figured out your BMR I'm POSITIVE it wouldn't be 500-600 calories a day to maintain your body weight at this time.

You are killing yourself slowly. That is no lie. Your organs can't function properly with what you are doing to them, and you are doing it long term which is even worse. I guess if you are trying to get thin quickly you may have your wish, but what you are doing to your internal organs isn't worth it.

At least do this the right way. Find your BMR and go from there.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    500-600 cals in a day for any HUMAN adult is stupidity. Unless you're 5'0", don't go under 1200. It's not hard, it's not rocket science. As Robin said a few pages back, EAT DAMMIT!!! And 1200 cals doesn't work unless you're sitting on your butt all day, which it doesn't sound like you are. Log your exercise, eat your exercise calories back.... and if you eat normally, YES, you should expect some gains at first before your body evens out and realizes you're not going to continue starving to the brink of anorexia/death, but you'll find a balance.

Just eat. Eat healthy. Get protein, healthy fats, veggies, whole grains.

Don't be stupid.

Even if you're under 5'0 going under 1200 is still quite dangerous--especially if you're young, active, and want any chance and staying reproductively healthy.
  • NikkiDea48
    Options
    I am eating a minimum of 1200 calories a day and no more than a maximum of 1500 and I have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks. You need to eat more or your body is going to think it is starving and start hording what you do eat.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    That's insane. That's lower than what the jews at concentration camps started out with.

Insanity.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I eat 500-600 calories a day, This has increased from around 400 which helped me lose A LOT of weight. But since starting a new job, working 12 hour shifts, I eat my usual Apple or greek yogurt for breakfast, 2 ryvitas with 2 laughing cow triangles for lunch or a banana, then a 205g of pasta shapes in tomato sauce for dinner or a salad,
    But at night time i crave fruit and have no idea how to control my cravings, its not for chocolate or any other bad things but 100 calories for a banana on top of apples, raspberries strawberries and grapes ruins my day completely! so mad at myself what do i do :(

Sweetie I think you need to go and see your doctor and tell him/her EXACTLY this. I am VERY worried about you and I fear that you already have an eating disorder that you cannot acknowledge for the following reasons.

1) You were originally restrictive to 400 cals daily and considered it "increased" by now eating between 500-600 a day. You used the words "ruins my day completely" if you add fruit on top of this. Teenage girls that I see that have a caloric intake of between 600-700 cals ARE anorexic and are on a guided eating plan to try to encourage them to increase their cals to 1000-1400 daily.

2) You are completely ignoring your hunger signals from your body and have feelings of guilt and anger if you eat over the plan you have. This is another big warning sign. Listen to your body. It is telling you it needs food. By trying to ignore and squash this hunger hormone you are ignoring your body telling you to eat or else.

3) Your diet is restrictive and extremely repetitive. A banana isn't lunch by itself. There seems to be very low levels of nutrients and essential vitamins and minerals such as iron and protein, and your body will start sending you warning signs like the evening hunger you experience and things like your periods will start to become irregular and eventually stop.

4) You are here asking for help to quash the hunger feelings not find low cal ways to satisfy them. Anorexics quash and repress hunger not try to satisfy it.

Please try to listen to what people are saying here to you. They are not being judgemental (mostly) they are concerned and trying to be supportive. Best of luck to you. x
  • FeliciaFitRNModel
    Options
    Profile says 33 years old. I don't mean to pry but is everything ok at home? You can talk to me if there is abusive husband (if anyone ever wished to marry such a "special" person as you), or parents or something. Or if mid-life crisis came early for you.

You don't have to take it out on random kids, talk to me dear. Together we can make sure we can get you through this. I am worried by this kind of behavior since this is a cry for help by people who might take the drastic measure of off'ing themselve. Please don't do it :(

Dear everyone,

I apologize for being snarky, rude, and making sarcastic comments in the forums. What was I thinking?!?

Sincerely,

you were mean to me too
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you really are sorry, please be kind and delete your original post. You have to remember that these posts can be seen much later via anyone who does a search (hence putting more ED people at risk of getting encouragement).

Thank you

The edit button is gone, so I reported myself. Hopefully the comment will be deleted soon. Once again, I apologize to anyone who was offended by my sarcastic (yet stupid) comment.

See...Iz not so heartless after all.

To the OP: Please find yourself some good friends that can help encourage you to maintain healthy eating habits. You'll find a wide array of supportive people here on MFP. Good luck with your fitness goals & keep eating that fruit!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I am just going to take a wild guess here and assume you're in high school.

If that's true (or if you're actually in college) then there are counselors available to you for for free who are used to dealing with girls with eating issues. I suggest speaking with one of them and perhaps taking a nutrition class in order to educate youreslf with what being healthy means because this isn't it.

MFP has an age limit for a reason tho, if you are under the age of 18 you really shouldn't be on here, I feel like many who are already ate starting to developing eating disorders and this will just makes it even worse.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Dear everyone,

Sincerely,

you were mean to me too

She apologized once, leave it alone

anigif_enhanced-buzz-21621-1342448445-0.gif
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You should change your intake to about 250 calories a day.....that way, you'll look fabulous in your casket!

BTW, I'm bringing doughnuts to the funeral.

Better Instantly Take Correction, Hun.

You're out of line, and reported. It's beyond not cool to joke about the death of a person facing a life threatening illness. Get a grip.

Agree. Though I was not exactly fluffy nice myself, death jokes are a tad overboard. MFP has gotten so many ppl on the "
    its fun to be mean/sarcastic" thing that real ppl who might need serious help and not jokes are treated crappy.

What if they were on the brink, and this pushed them over? And they killed themself?

Under eaters can be infuriating to some of us, but still deserve to be treated decently. As annoying as it can be, they can't always see the wrong in it all.
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hello,

This topic has been locked due to multiple rule violations. The initial post is in violation of guideline number 3 and subsequent posts were personal attacks. While many helpful people participated in this thread, the thread should not of been posted in the first place.

The guidelines in questions state:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

As state above, we welcome users who are recovering from eating disorders, but we will not tolerate posts glamorizing or encouraging eating disorders. Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,
    Scott
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.