weigh in everyday ??

Options
I weigh myself every morning but I bounce back and forth by 2 pounds...should I be weighing 1 a week or everyday

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    this is a never ending debate. find what's comfortable for you and stick with it. i weighed every day in the beginning, to see what was working and what wasn't. then i platued and weighed every day to see if i broke thru yet. then i was the lowest i had been in almost forever and weighed in everyday to make sure i stayed there. it is motivating for me, but i understand it doesn't work that way for everyone. let the debate continue!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. My ego and or psyche can't handle all that fluctuating. It can set the tone for my mood for an entire day.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. My ego and or psyche can't handle all that fluctuating. It can set the tone for my mood for an entire day.

This. Some weeks I don't even weigh.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I do the same thing, weigh myself daily. I don't enter the weight on MFP daily though. if it's messing with your head, I'd suggest weighing once a week. It doesn't bother me to see my weight fluxuating daily, because I weigh at different times daily, as well. I like to look though, daily.:noway:
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at least once a day, but I do not check-in on here everyday. I check-in once a week (Saturday).
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's your decision. I weigh every single morning and I like it. Many people weigh every day or many times a week and don't admit it. I log my weight every day up or down so that I have accountability. Some people only log it when they go down, which is fine, too. Go with what you're comfortable with.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i've gone through phases where i did that....it felt obsessive. i now *try* to weigh once a week. If i'm eating correctly and exercising as I should, then I know I'm doing well. That scale is just gonna tell me what I already know.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    I weigh myself every Friday morning, as soon as I get up (after the bathroom break). Any more than that and you'll probably go mental. Daily fluctuations are normal, but week trends are easier to monitor.
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, and I post it every day too. I already know and accept that there will be fluctuations, (sometimes more than I expected, but Oh Well). I like posting it, because I love to hit the reports, and look at the graph! It's so fun for me! I like seeing the real weights. I also think it helps me to learn what is a normal pattern of weight loss, and learning that helps me to not be discouraged when I'm eagerly waiting for a loss. It's kind of like taking a picture everyday, and I love seeing the whole process.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    As everyone says, it is your personal preference. But always remember weight can fluctuate on many factors. If you have a higher sodium intake day, add a pound or two due simply to water gain. I personally only weight once a month simply because I get discourage otherwise. My fiance literally hid our scale so I can't do it but once a month. Once a day may be a bit much if it's upsetting you. Try once a week, same day and same time
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It's normal to fluctuate, so I just weigh every other week, when I get around to it. And just kinda average it.. Up a few ounces, down a few ounces, up a few ounces.... As long as the downs are more than the ups, I'm happy.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle. I weigh in on Wed, Fri, and Mon. I do that because I can be very bad on the weekends and I like to keep it realistic. If i screw up, I know I have to fix my problems to keep the scale going down. However, sometimes if it's a bad week (like i was not working and inside for 5 days because of Hurricane Sandy), I will skip a weigh in because I know it will bring me down.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I weigh everyday, and I post it every day too. I already know and accept that there will be fluctuations, (sometimes more than I expected, but Oh Well). I like posting it, because I love to hit the reports, and look at the graph! It's so fun for me! I like seeing the real weights. I also think it helps me to learn what is a normal pattern of weight loss, and learning that helps me to not be discouraged when I'm eagerly waiting for a loss. It's kind of like taking a picture everyday, and I love seeing the whole process.

This graph your talking about, how can I access this? Someone in person mentioned this graph, yet I've never seen it. where is it? if you don't mind
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2x a day - first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I'm ok with the fluctuations and actually it reminds me there WILL be fluctuations and that it's ok. For me, 2x a day keep me mindful of what I'm eating and what I'm doing. But I'm also not obsessive about it - if I forget before I crawl into bed I don't get up again, or if I'm away for a weekend or even for a more extended vacation I don't worry about it.

I don't have a regular schedule of when I post it here at MFP - mostly it's just when I lose I guess.
  • InPieces3
    Options
    I weigh every other day. I do that to keep myself in check. I realize there are going to be fluctuations, that is to be expected, but if there is a 2 lb or more fluctuation, I'm on it like flies on food. I go back and check my diary, if I ate too much sodium, did I eat too many starchy carbs... basically what I'm saying is... I do it to keep myself pushing hard. It is honestly your personal choice. I have found peace with the scale because when I take my measurements it tells a different story. I love the fact that I'm losing inches and the scale may not be moving as fast as I'd like it.

So it is really on you. :flowerforyou:
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I weigh every other day. I do that to keep myself in check. I realize there are going to be fluctuations, that is to be expected, but if there is a 2 lb or more fluctuation, I'm on it like flies on food. I go back and check my diary, if I ate too much sodium, did I eat too many starchy carbs... basically what I'm saying is... I do it to keep myself pushing hard. It is honestly your personal choice. I have found peace with the scale because when I take my measurements it tells a different story. I love the fact that I'm losing inches and the scale may not be moving as fast as I'd like it.

So it is really on you. :flowerforyou:

Sodium will make your weight rise?

Anyone else know where I can access this "graph" mentioned earlier?
  • TillyMomma
    Options
    I wigh myself once a day, usually right after I wake up in the morning. It helps to keep me in check.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every 2-3 days, but got frustrated with the fluctuations, so then I did it once a week for a while..
    Now I do it once a month, even tho i have the scale in the bathroom and I see it every morning when I shower I dont even feel the urge to jump on it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but I bounce back and forth by 2 pounds...should I be weighing 1 a week or everyday

It's up to you. As long as you don't freak out about normal body fluctuations you can weigh as much as you want. I used to weigh myself several times a day out of curiosity. The fluctuations throughout the day with water intake, working out in the heat in summer, and all kinds of situations and times is day is quite interesting.

Some people freak out and this is what I usually say:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but only record once a week. I find weighing in everyday kind of keeps me on track. If I notice a jump I work harder in the gym. So it works for me but you really need to find what works best with you. Good luck.