Building arm strength help!?!?

Options
tasha30
tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
Does anyone have any advice on building strength in your arms (at home) that doesnt include push ups?

Replies

• HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Depends on what type of equipment you have at home. Like dumbells, bands, a medicine ball...etc. Pushups obviously target the triceps and chest which different area of the tricpe and chest can be targeted by simply changing hand placement. If you have a pullup bar you can target the biceps,back and shoulders. Obviously dumbells, bands or a weight bar would be easily accesible at home and utilized to target both the biceps, triceps and forearms. Even a homemade medicine ball could be utilized to do some overhead extensions for the triceps or some curls for the biceps. Hard to lay out a plan without knowing what type of equipment you have or are willing to purchase....
  • thomlora
    thomlora Posts: 16
    Options
    Well I walk my two dogs one weighs 72 and the other 68 and that has helped everything. If you don't like push up do the arm pushup where you use a stable chair and do the ones from the back ( I do them several time a day at work after using the bathroom there is a great ledge!
  • cmgoff
    cmgoff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to even purchase equipment. You can use household items for toning. But if you do purchase an item I would make it a weight ball or a resistance band in a medium strength. If you use soup cans or detergent bottles you can do pretty much any arm exercises you can do with weights but will be limited by the amount of liquid or solids you have in the containers.
  • tasha30
    Options
    Depends on what type of equipment you have at home. Like dumbells, bands, a medicine ball...etc. Pushups obviously target the triceps and chest which different area of the tricpe and chest can be targeted by simply changing hand placement. If you have a pullup bar you can target the biceps,back and shoulders. Obviously dumbells, bands or a weight bar would be easily accesible at home and utilized to target both the biceps, triceps and forearms. Even a homemade medicine ball could be utilized to do some overhead extensions for the triceps or some curls for the biceps. Hard to lay out a plan without knowing what type of equipment you have or are willing to purchase....

I just have some small 3lb weights. I was thinking of purchasing 5-10lbs though. I just really dont like push-ups.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Why don't you like pushups?

And if you go the route of buying dumbbells, I'd suggest buying adjustable ones. This way you can progressively add weight over time as your body adapts and you become stronger. Without the ability to add weight, you're strength will plateau.
  • tasha30
    Options
    Why don't you like pushups?

And if you go the route of buying dumbbells, I'd suggest buying adjustable ones. This way you can progressively add weight over time as your body adapts and you become stronger. Without the ability to add weight, you're strength will plateau.

I just have NEVER been able to hold my own weight up. I can do MAYBE 10 push-ups at one time and THATS it, I need something more productive, otherwise I wont do it.
  • tasha30
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will start off with getting some heavier dumbells.
  • tasha30
    Options
    You don't really have to even purchase equipment. You can use household items for toning. But if you do purchase an item I would make it a weight ball or a resistance band in a medium strength. If you use soup cans or detergent bottles you can do pretty much any arm exercises you can do with weights but will be limited by the amount of liquid or solids you have in the containers.

Great info! Thanks!
  • tasha30
    Options
    Well I walk my two dogs one weighs 72 and the other 68 and that has helped everything. If you don't like push up do the arm pushup where you use a stable chair and do the ones from the back ( I do them several time a day at work after using the bathroom there is a great ledge!

lol I dont have dogs, but now I wish I did..:wink:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just own one pair of 5 lb. dumbbells and use them for different exercises. Search the internet for arm work outs (I use Self & Shape's websites). As long as you get work outs to work each muscle group of your arm, you should be good. :)
  • stroutman81
    Options
    You could do modified pushups until your strength is adequate for regular pushups.
  • tasha30
    Options
    Thanks, will do!
  • tasha30
    Options
    You could do modified pushups until your strength is adequate for regular pushups.

Those are the push-ups that I do (the modified ones) and will continue to, but I still cant do a real push-up to save my life.:sad:
  • stroutman81
    Options
    It's the sort of exercise you need to progress into. With out the requisite strength, you're not going to be able to do them. Said strength can only be established over time by continually placing a greater and greater challenge on the muscles involved in the pushup.

A prime example of this would be to do incline pushups. The steeper the incline, the easier the movement as the more weight your lower body is supporting. As your muscles adapt and strength is built and pushups at a high angle get easier and easier, you can progressively lower the angle of your body to the floor.
  • tasha30
    Options
    It's the sort of exercise you need to progress into. With out the requisite strength, you're not going to be able to do them. Said strength can only be established over time by continually placing a greater and greater challenge on the muscles involved in the pushup.

A prime example of this would be to do incline pushups. The steeper the incline, the easier the movement as the more weight your lower body is supporting. As your muscles adapt and strength is built and pushups at a high angle get easier and easier, you can progressively lower the angle of your body to the floor.

Thanks so much. I CAN DO IT!