What protein powder do you use?

Options
13»

Replies

• gust1247
    Options
    I use syntrax vanilla bean whey protein. It is a pure isolate, which is what you may want to use after working out. Try to stay away from partly or completely concentrated whey protein if you are looking for something to take right after lifting. Also, if you are concerned at all about toxicity levels in protein powders, you may want to do some research online. Various amounts of cadmium, lead, mercury, and arsenic can be found in many products.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Everyone here wants to know where you live and that's for good reason - not all brands are available everywhere.

Having said that - there are other issues - are you looking for whey protein as a meal supplement or as a muscle building item?

For muscle building reasearch has shown that you need to take in your protein within an hour of resistance training to stimulate ATP production and MPS (muscle protein synthesis). While there is a linear relationship between the amount of protein taken in and the increase in muscle protein synthesis - this only holds up to about 20 grams of protein when the curve rapidly levels out. Bottom line - for big muscled people to lean no muscle people the difference has been estimated to be 20 grams plus/minus 5 grams. (Max 25 grams) needed.

If you want it for a meal supplement - and your kidney function is normal - you can take in more. Normal protein for the day for people not exercising a lot or lifting weights is 1.0 grams per kilo. It goes up some depending on the type of exercise.

Other recommendations:
    Low Calorie
    Low Sugar
    Low Saturated Fat
    Low Cholesterol
    Low Sodium
    Carbs - depends on whether you are using this as a meal replacement or muscle building. You'll likely have to add a few carbs in if resistance training to stimulate glycogen synthesis and provide the energy for muscle building.

There are 3 main types of whey protein supplements - Whey Compounds (least filtered - most contaminated), Whey Isolates (usually free of lactose, fat, and contaminants - some good some bad), and Whey Hydrozylates (fast acting - most filtered).

Isolates will be a bit more expensive but free of things like cholesterol.

500 ml of fat free milk (a little over two 8 ounce glasses) provide the additional benefit of CLA which has been linked to decreases in FM (Fat Mass) in women. There is some discussion over which isomer of CLA is the best. In case your wondering a lot of the studies on muscle building were done on ingestion of 500 ml of Fat free milk and it so happens that this amount contains - on average 20 grams of protein. Sometimes experiments and studies have sound reason behind their design. Go figure.

^ Thanks. I always wondered about this. :flowerforyou:
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nature's Way "metabolic reset", chocolate. It is DELICIOUS, and has a good amount of fiber, and no sugar. I mix it with almond milk.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    Personally I do not use whey protein at all because of the method that the protein is extracted, it leaves a lot of heavy metals in the protein that we end up consuming.
    I use Vitol egg white protein it is all natural and sweetened with stevia and has bee pollen added to increase energy naturally. I love it and it is not as expensive as Jay Robb egg white protein. It is around $27 a bottle and lasts me around 2 months. You can go to lucky vitamin.com for it
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've tried many...

I sometime use Bio-X Power Casein - Chocolate for nights but taste terrible...Can't stand it.

Weider Max recovery chocolate whey is very good...Taste good too and high 30g protein.

one of my favorite is by 4everFit...It's fruit blast CranRazz. 1g carbs, 24g whey protein, 100 cal.... Taste like a smoothie.
    Just need water (milk's fine but taste super with water)... It's fruity and different.

I have a blog for the supplements I use and that I've used before too..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/shinkalork/view/basic-review-of-the-supplements-that-i-take-or-that-i-took-before-440592
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Anadrol2902
    Options
    I use Body Fortress - Super Advance Whey Isolate it has worked well for me
    I only use the whey isolate
    for a good milk based protein I use to use a metrx RTD
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For baking I use Sunwarrior rice protein and otherwise I use gnc refeed vanilla milkshake casein at night and About Time birthday cake whey isolate
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bump
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Allow me to be different! I know everyone like their whey protein, but I always buy Nutiva hemp protein powder. I get plenty of whey in my diet, whereas hemp protein has all the essential fatty acids that I don't always get in my diet. Also, hemp protein is easier to use because it doesn't have added flavors, so you can use it in anything. Also, whey protein is more processed than hemp protein. The hemp protein powder is simply cold-compressed seeds and nothing else.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Started with Dymatize elite whey protein isolate but switched to Kaizen whey protein isolate.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    The cheapest brand at Walmart that has an adequate proportion of protein. I avoid the ones that are excessively heavy with carbs.
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use Xyngular lean protein powder. 44 cals a scoop and 10g protein.:drinker: