fell off the wagon

Options
Boy, have I fallen off the wagon, so to speak with regard to myfitnesspal. As usual, I was enamored and diligent for months, then started getting lazy about the diary and went back to mucho carbs and sweets. I'd record things in the diary for half the day, then before I went to bed, see how many colories I had left (e.g., 350) and just type in 350. Really stopped recording after around noon and things had started to go downhill. I've started creeping up in weight, about 3 pounds, and I'm small so it's noticeable. The joy of getting back into my old jeans is fading as they get tighter.

I realize I haven't been using the community feature of myfitness pal, so I'm going to try to record something or respond to others' posts once a day. And I am hereby officially going to start eating better. Making a good vegetarian vegetable soup is on my agenda for the weekend.

Replies

• Brittaura
    Brittaura Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good luck!! Everyone falls off the wagon, as long as you get back on you can always fix it!! :flowerforyou:
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
    speak to you later xx
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I know exactly what you are talking about. I started this journey in May 2011 and lost 40 pounds for a vacation. Saw success, then got lazy. Put half back on.

Started MFP, same thing over again. Lost some, regained half.

Now I am determined that it won`t happen again.
    Seeing the success stories has really helped plus I have now lost enough that people are commenting daily.

You can do it. Log daily and preplan if possible, it is easier for me when I preplan (even preplan my off days)

Find what works for you.
  • seashellmoore
    Options
    Yay for you getting back on the wagon! That is so awesome! Be proud of yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!:happy:
  • orionuer
    orionuer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I fell off the bandwagon real bad and by June this year I was way heavier than I had ever been in my life. I rejoined MFP in July this year and I still do have some bad days or weeks, but I always remind myself all the reasons why I started this journey in the first place and that helps a lot. The community feature here is also my source of inspiration and it helps me to stay focused, when I see other people's successes and it pushes me to work harder to reach my goal as well. Keep on keeping on, there will always be bad days in between several good ones.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I became really annoyed with calorie counting and feeling like I couldn't enjoy my food because I was compulsively looking up/adding cals all the time. I wanted to try and do it without MFP.

Well, I can still estimate total cals, and it worked for about a week, but I've lost motivation in total for about a month and have been maintaining at 225. That's okay, I was afraid of a plateau anyways so hopefully this will stave one off.

Today I am going to start counting cals on MFP again. I need to be under 200 by the end of the year. I will be. I will never let the scale go up again.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. – Winston Churchill
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing to do is to get back on the wagon, but YOU CAN DO IT :)
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yep, just get up , dust off and jump back on the wagon:flowerforyou:
  • teacherspet1
    teacherspet1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi again.....Dont despair lass, I too fell off the wagon and put on 22lbs of the 24 I lost on MFP. I am back on again this week and I am finding it hard but....it is getting easier as the week goes on. It does help if you are in the right frame of mind and have a good friend support network.
    I am thoroughly ashamed of myself for letting ME down......its no-one elses fault so its up to me to put it right. I know temptation is a blight, but life is like that so I will have to learn to deal with it.
    We can't go through life avoiding stuff so we have to work it into our routine so we dont feel like we are missing out....(theres logic in there somewhere!!!)
    It does help to plan your day and log it early....you can always change it if you need to....but dont cheat on yourself....it makes you feel even worse. Dont just measure your results on the scales....non scale victories count too !!! Losing inches also counts and is a visual reward when your clothes are getting looser. You can always reward yourself with a non food reward......like a new lippy !!
    Its always good to have a treat you can fall back on if you need it.....like nutella spread on low cal biscuits....yummy !!! It feels naughty but it isnt really....100 cals a tablespoon and whatever biccies you choose....(rich tea or digestives are low calorie).
    Eating out is another bane but if you plan you can have a light start to the day and save your cals for the restaurant....and choose wisely...remember its not all about food....good company makes it a pleasure!!!
    You are probably thinking ....well she can talk, she put all her weight back on....but it doesn't stop me trying !!!
    I need to get this exercise thing sorted too....but thats another story ......................................
    So if you need a friend ....here I am....I could do with the support too !!
    GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND !!!!
    :smile:
  • healthyinpink
    healthyinpink Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! Fell off as well :(
    But just got started again today and this time I'm motivated to keep up with it!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you know where you went wrong before in terms of logging. Maybe try not to be so strict in terms of what you're eating? I don't actually feel like I'm "on the wagon" because I just eat what I like really, but fit it all into my calorie and macronutrient goals. So, I still eat pretty healthily, but I don't restrict any particular food, and I don't feel like I need to "cheat" or "fall off the wagon" to indulge. I've just eaten a Chinese takeaway meal, with a glass of wine, but it all fits into my goals for today, so there's no issue for me.

I'm not saying don't try to change your eating habits - if that's what you want to do, but it doesn't have to all happen overnight. Let yourself eat the foods you like - fit them into your calorie goal, fit them into your macronutrient targets, and gradually tweak things as you go. If you can't fit them in today, well there's always tomorrow. Try not to think about it as a temporary diet, but try to find a way that you can make this work permanently. It sounds like maybe you were feeling deprived of the foods you like before, and felt the need to rebel a bit, making you go off track altogether.
  • rachael52
    rachael52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am amazed by all the wonderful feedback. Thank you so, so much, everyone. I had a good day today in terms of getting back on track and I do realize that MFP is terrifically helpful to me, if only in educating me as to the nutritional value and calories of foods (eg., movie popcorn - my god!) At any rate, your support is much appreciated. I thank each of you for your messages to me today.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up!
    It is lifestyle...NOT diet. You are recognizing it early...get back up...get back to logging. NO excuses. Ideally log before you eat it. (like looking at the price tag before you buy!)
    I am just getting back up myself. Sugar/carbs do me in, too...I have addictive behavior around them and recently found myself "sneaking" to eat 60 calories worth of jelly beans...and I don't even LIKE jelly beans...YES I LOGGED THEM. My community is what keeps me accountable. I log everything. I had a day where I was over by almost 2,000 calories in a day. I STILL logged it. Now I am getting back in gear. (getting enough sleep helps tremendously...as does having a day off to go grocery shopping for real food.)

Get some good friends. Feel free to add me if you like. I READ DIARIES! Why? I look for healthy meal ideas AND I hold you accountable the way I want to be held accountable. I think I eat a bit differently when I know someone is going to be reading what I had that day...

Welcome BACK on the wagon! Let me move over on the seat for you so you don't fall off again.