How to burn 500 to 700 cals an hour ?

Options
13»

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Insanity-all are between 500 and 1000 depending on the month/workout. Lots of muscle training too.
    I never burned more than 500, but I only did the first month of workouts. Even when I was heavier, I never got past that (with a heart rate monitor). It's still an awesome workout though!
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I burn about 550 in an hour during an advanced step class or a zumba class. Verified with my Polar HM. I burn about 300 in 45 minutes on an eliptical machine - so not working as hard as in the classes.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I burn 1400 cals per hour doing zumba

??

Rowing's good, you might get to 400/hr if you work hard. (But only every so often - it can literally tear you a new one, so switch it up, and build up to an hour.)

edit: ah, joke, ok.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    High intensity cardio can burn 500+ calories per hour such as intense swimming, running, cycling, etc. You may have to work more than others to achieve a high burn as there are other factors involved x
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I do elliptical exersice in my gym and the MFP says I burn 917 cals for 70 minutes. My heart rate goes up to 175 on the elliptical. I am really not sure of the number MFP gives me thou, it seems too high.

I also feel like MFP reduces cal for the food.

Probably, I need to get the heart monitor to be absolutely sure of my burnt calories but I don't eat my calories back so I don't need it.
  • kaytbaggs
    kaytbaggs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you using a HRM when you exercise? That is going to be the first thing to start you out. Then you need to find the workout that works the best for you. Get your heart rate high and keep it there. It's all going to depend on your age and weight.

Try everything you can until you find something you like!!!

I was doing the elliptical thinking that was the best i could do, but then I got hooked on running and can't stop. I average about 100-110 calories in 10 minutes as long as I run for at least 30 minutes.

You'll get there! Good luck lady!!!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Crank up the intensity and see those numbers increase :)

I've recently added a HIIT workout into my exercise regime twice a week and can record 200-300 in 30 minutes. As I've just started I'm doing a 3:1 ratio of jogging to sprinting and then will do 25 minutes light jogging and a 5 minute warm down. Usually finish up with my HRM reading well over 500 calories burned :)
  • maria_elaina
    maria_elaina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Insanity-all are between 500 and 1000 depending on the month/workout. Lots of muscle training too.

False. I am 5'4 120 and burn between 200-350 doing insanity. 400 on max interval.

Same here, though it'd be nice if it reached even close to 400 for me, lol.

I'm not doing insanity, but this has really helped reassure me re: calorie burning. I'm 5'4 and 113 pounds and was always upset at how my boyfriend (5'7 150 pounds) was burning twice as many calories as me when we did the same workout. Glad to know there's a logical explanation!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Swimming! Also don't forget that MFP overestimates and that heavier people burn more cals doing the same workout as a fitter person
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

^^^^ This is what I am doing...I burn around between 600-900 cals depending on the workout in Month 2. Month 1 I burned between 400-600 cals.
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Burning 500 calories in an hour is just not a realistic goal for me. My efforts to do that to date have only resulted in injury. For some of us its better to set a goal like that for the day, and break it up into shorter intense efforts, or several longer less intense efforts. Keep the long term goal in mind. Short term goals like 500 calories in an hour can kill your long term effort if you're not careful.
  • darcwonn
    Options
    My suggestion: running. Period. Or, you can take up an intense workout that variates the type of exercises that you do. However, you would need to do almost nonstop.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    It depends on your body, everyone burns differently. I workout for about 50 minutes at the gym, on the crossramp/treadmill and burn about 500 calories. (says my bodybugg) and I also workout at home.. Just push yourself to do your best. Challenge yourself everyday..