Calorie Amount

Options
Ok I am getting anxiety over the amount of calories that I am consuming. I am giving myself 1200 a day, but the more people I talk to the more people tell me that this is way too few and that my body will go into starvation. I have 65 more pounds to loose to get to my goal weight so I don't want to do anything that will screw me up. I do exercise every other day and I eat my burn calories. Just in need of some advice.

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    you said that you're giving yourself 1200 - what does MFP recommend?
  • jenniewall
    Options
    I have talked to dietitians about this and most say not to go under 1200 calories a day. I eat around 1200 calories a day just to maintain my weight. I would be more concerned with feeling hungry and not being able to stick with the 1200. If 1200 works then do it.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    have you seen results on the MFP eating the recommened amount? I totally believe in the starvation mode thing. Dont eat all your excercise cals, but eat some for sure. If you are worried, just excercise more and you will have more calories left at the end of the day. Just my opinion
  • turtle080808
    Options
    You should eat what the reccomended amount is. Its calculated for your goals for a reason. I eat 1200 cals a day and dont really eat my extra ones from exercise and I am losing weight but everyone is different
  • jessicael
    jessicael Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 is pretty low especially if you are exercising as well. You want to be careful not to be to restrictive because in reality most people who are end up gaining weight back and/or go on eating binges because they feel so deprived. Everyone is different and if your doctor/dietician/MFP is telling you 1200 is to low then they might be right. Like I said, everyone is different so it's what feels and is right for your body and lifestyle. Good luck!!!!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You should eat what the reccomended amount is. Its calculated for your goals for a reason. I eat 1200 cals a day and dont really eat my extra ones from exercise and I am losing weight but everyone is different

Me too when I eat more than that or eat my exercise cals I stop loosing...Do what your body tells you.
  • mlejoy3
    mlejoy3 Posts: 9
    Options

Me too when I eat more than that or eat my exercise cals I stop loosing...Do what your body tells you.

You lost 91 pounds...how many calories do you do a day?