MFP and Fitbit

Options
I started my weight loss journey in April, lost 35 pounds and 51.25 inches then stalled. I still have lots I want to lose and I have been wanting a Fitbit. My mom got me one for my bday. I have been using it for 2 weeks, still stalled. I have Fitbit and MFP linked but they are inconsistent with how many calories I have to eat or if I am over/under for the day. Like now, MFP says I am at taken 1730 calories for the day and earned 272 from exercise and am at 1430 and still have more calories I could eat for the day; however, Fitbit says I have taken in 1730 calories, have burned 2088 and am over by 245 calories for the day. I thought they were suppose to work together. They are confusing me more at this point than helping me. Looking for help in understanding the 2 programs together. I have been using MFP since May and LOVE it, but like I said, more confused at this point than helped!!

Replies

• kaceelawlor
    kaceelawlor Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I noticed that as well. I only use the fitbit dashboard to view my sleep efficiency, steps taken, flights of stairs climbed, and an approximation of how many calories I burned. I use MFP to track my calories. I found that to be much easier than trying to get the two of them to match and get frustrated. I figure I have a *rough* estimate. I don't expect the fitbit to track calories burned precisely, but if anything it gives you a low estimate of what you have burned. I use it basically as a starting point/baseline reading. Then again, I do not have more than 30 pounds to lose and am not in much of a rush to do it, so this post may of be no help. :/
  • rockingmom25
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback! I will try unlinking them and see how it goes from there. I am just very frustrated. I have been stalled for 5 weeks and am still logging, under calorie count and I workout 6 days a week.... not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't want to fail.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is sad. I am reading of a lot of these problems lately. My only interest is that I was thinking about buying one. But, I read nothing but problems with it.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I keep mine linked. I don't pay much attention to what the fitbit dashboard says..I log my food ONLY on mfp - I think it's way more accurate than fitbits database.

and also make sure you aren't logging exercise on both sites..if you are you chance it double dipping for you. What I do on the fitbit site is if I take a long walk or something I will set the stop watch feature and let the fitbit and it's site take care of it ..then I do NOT log anything on MFP. If I'm just doing a circuit or something I do NOT set the stop watch..just let it go and take the adjustment it gives me. I do NOT log any exercise on MFP. So far this way has worked for me. I don't seem to have the issues that other people have. Plus just to be safe I stay at my recommended before exercise calories. It's working for me! :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Mine works fine but I had to do some tweaking of the settings so they would work together. Most days they are fine. I did at the beginning have to unlink and relink a couple of times. Key is to only use fitbit for measuring steps and stairs, and sleep log if you are interested. Then log everything else on MFP.

Now to settings, you need to really be careful how you set up the Fitbit for calories, mine is actually set to maintenance over there but over here it's lightly active since it steals calories now and you have to earn them back, lol. Anyway, unlinking might be best if it's not doing what you want. I pretty only follow MFP for the calories in, calories out. However, weight loss does tend to slow after the initial 30-40 pounds or so, as you get closer to goal it becomes more of a fight. That makes it really frustrating though in the long run as you tend to lose patience and want something to hurry up and happen. I just keep plugging away and the scale goes down slow but sure.
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I LOVE my fitbit..be sure when the are synced to post you diary and excercise ONLY on the MfP site otherwise you do get mixed messages lol. I only use the Fitnit dashboard to look at steps taken, flights climbed and my sleep pattern. Everything else I post on MFP:)
    Good luck!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This is sad. I am reading of a lot of these problems lately. My only interest is that I was thinking about buying one. But, I read nothing but problems with it.

not sure where you are reading then. FitBits are great. I have one and highly recommend it. The problems arise with the linking to MFP which would not work for a few people. So recently the MFP folks have been working on sprucing up the linking between MFP and FitBit. In my opinion they've totally messed it up now. If you do get one (cause they seriously are awesome) just don't link it to MFP.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22HTZ2
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options

I guess I am one of those people who LOVE theirs and have had NO issues with it. I just try to not over think it. I do think some people make it too hard. It's going to be a good guesstimate gadget at best...but I will freak the hell out if I get out of my driveway and don't have it. I drove all the way back from walmart to get it one day...and since having it I've lost 27 lbs.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

not sure where you are reading then. FitBits are great. I have one and highly recommend it. The problems arise with the linking to MFP which would not work for a few people. So recently the MFP folks have been working on sprucing up the linking between MFP and FitBit. In my opinion they've totally messed it up now. If you do get one (cause they seriously are awesome) just don't link it to MFP.

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22HTZ2

Linking it is the whole reason I want it. Otherwise, I don't see the point. I'll just use a combo of HRM and a pedometer. Lots of free ways to track walking. im not looking for that, I'm looking for a way to sync with MFP and make cal adjustments for energy expended during my day.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also became frustrated with the two together so I unlinked them. I love mfp, and I love my fitbit but not so much toghether.As another person mentioned I only use fitbit for the dashboard, sleep,, steps and activity. I use mfp to log my food
    and to record my activities. This is what I found to work best for me. Congratulations on your great losses! :drinker: