Heart Rate Monitor suggestions?

Options
I'm looking at getting a heart rate monitor for when I do excersizes other than the treadmill, and also to get a more accurate account of the calories I'm burning there.

Due to breast size and having had issues getting a chest strap to work in the past I would prefer one without the chest strap, but also one that I don't have to periodically stop and touch.

Are there any good ones that don't use the strap?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    the strap goes UNDER the girls, not on top of them.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I've been shopping for one myself. From what I've read it seem that a chest strap is the way to go...

bump

i'll have to check back in a while when people that a actually have and use them answer:ohwell:
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 and it does have a chest strap. Wear the strap under "the girls". I actually wear mine just below the bottom edge of my sports bra and I get consistent, accurate readings. Sometimes it's the bra that interferes with the readings for some reason!
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was wearing it under the girls. But the Girls are F cups and a bra that is supportive enough blocks it from getting close enough to get a good reading, bras that aren't supportive enough allow the girls to sit on top of it, which messes with the reading, and I just can't tolertate wearing it inside the supportive bra.
  • kf4vkp
    Options
    And I think that's been the case for me in the past...the bra preventing proper placement.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I was wearing it under the girls. But the Girls are F cups and a bra that is supportive enough blocks it from getting close enough to get a good reading, bras that aren't supportive enough allow the girls to sit on top of it, which messes with the reading, and I just can't tolertate wearing it inside the supportive bra.

Maybe you're wearing it too tight? It goes under the girls and under the bra. The bra will also help hold it in place so it doesn't need to be as tight anyway. I have the Polar FT7 and I :heart: it!!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7. Very happy with it. IMO the chest strap is the only way to go to get consistent accurate readings. I'm very happy with my FT7
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have an older polar watch and wear the strap just under where my sports bra finishes and get good readings apparently the wrist ones aren't as accurate.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I love my FT7. After reading online reviews (and only paying attention to the negatives) the FT7 had almost zero negative reviews, and the same goes on the forums here.

Something you could look into if the strap isn't working for you. There are companies that make 'fitness apparel' with a spot for sensors (such as the FT7) to snap into. I'll admit, I looked into shirts for this, as it's very odd for a guy to have a 'bra line' of dry shirt while everything else is soaked :)
  • ruthy910
    Options
    I'm an H cup and plan on getting an FT7 later this week, will share my experience. That is my worry as well but I do really want the continuous monitoring so I'm going to try it.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with this device, but it is worn on the forearm.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/25

Links to MFP as a bonus.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have had a Polar FT4 since February and am in love with it; it's my best friend.

I was a 44DDD when I started. If you get a good sports bra and put the transmitter in the front between the girls so that it's up under the bra strap, there is not a problem and you can't even feel the transmitter. I am now a 36G working to a 34G and I still have no problems with the transmitter, unless I'm wearing a regular bra instead of my workout bra's. I invested in a good bra because it was the only way to hold the girls up and in when working out & especially when running.
  • kf4vkp
    Options
    Please do!
  • ThePilotsGirl
    ThePilotsGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get an Enell bra, or moving comfort. You must invest in a good sports bra. It shouldn't mess with your readings. Hope that helps ;)
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have both a Polar FT60 and a Garmin 410. Both are chest straps, and I use both under the "girls." There are things I like about both. I only bought the Garmin because I got a good deal through a friend after I thought I had lost the Polar. Here's my synopsis, now that I've had the Garmin for about 30 days (I work out every day, so it's got 30 days of data in it).

Polar Likes:

* "Fit test" option, which allows you to test basically how "healthy" you are.
    * 3 different workout zones
    * Ability to set up a workout plan based on goals
    * Very simple to use and set up
    *Polar website--it's motivating to me to see the graphs, etc.
    *Uploading data is easy if you're a data freak like I am
    *Is definitely more generous with calories burned than the Garmin
    *Waterproof, so you can wear it while swimming
    *Battery life
    *Comfortable strap
    *Syncs" with all the gym equipment, so your HR displays on the machine automatically making it easier to stay in whatever zone you're trying to stay in.

Polar Dislikes
    *You have to send it away to have the battery replaced (although Polar service is fast, turnaround is about 3 days)
    *Does not come with a cadence meter...difficult to use with bike
    *Do not like the bulky GPS system at all. It is uncomfortable and huge.

Garmin Likes:
    * GPS is built in, so when I run/bike there is no need for a separate accessory, which is necessary if I want to track miles, mph, average, etc.
    *Ability to purchase an accessory that will clip to my bike for cadence/speed/and a lot of other data
    *Haven't tried the website yet, but I hear it's great
    *Five workout zones, which is what is now recommended
    *Workout data--it will track your exact route, not just the miles. All the stuff like elevation, actual street route, etc.
    *You do not have to send it in for batteries. It comes with a clip that you can charge with your computer or pluging it in the wall.
    *Wireless sync. Once you sync your computer to the Garmin, it will automatically sync whenever the Garmin is nearby, keeping your data up-to-date with zero effort on your part.

Garmin Dislikes
    *I got a deal on mine, but to purchase on line is expensive (but eBay often has used ones)
    *The dial is extremely sensitive, and touching it accidentally will change your display (you can lock the display so that doesn't happen, but you have to think about it.
    *Is not waterproof, so if you're a triathlete, and want to track calories burned in the water, it's not going to be the one for you.
    *Must remember to charge it. Battery life is eight hours It's easy to forget to charge it.
    *Garmin chest strap is not nearly as comfortable as the polar FT60 chest strap
    *Doesn't "sync" with treadmills, so you can't read your HR on the treadmill, elliptical, etc. display.
    **Not as generous with the calorie burn numbers as the Polar, which I found surprisingly demotivating myself. (I always stay within the same number of calories eaten every day--or attempt to--so the "eating back" thing is not an issue I worry about).

Hope that helps!
  • harleigh67
    Options
    Go to a running store and try to get a bra thru them their bras are much more supportive then a regular sports bra! if you can get them held up more and in place your monitor should do better....also as above wear it a little bit more between them, when I am thin I am a 36 C when I was pregnant I went up to a 44E so I understand....If the strap is too tight, try just getting a different strap.....some heart rate monitor have straps & you can attach them to for your upper arm...try one of those
  • ruthy910
    Options
    I will also strongly re-confirm the spending the money on a good bra. Even if you have to save. For a long time. I think my running bra was $60, maybe even $80, but it is worth everry single penny. I think it's a Wacoal, or maybe Elila, I got it at Lindasonline.com. It has the underwire on the outside of the cup instead of the inside and I LOVE it.
  • KeepingUpWithKiki
    KeepingUpWithKiki Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 and I LOVE it. Like a lot of you on here, I have big girls and use the chest strap under them, under the sports bra. Once it's on you can't even feel it. It'd definitely worth the investment!
  • Howder84
    Howder84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lindalee0315, those are the exact two heart rate monitors I've been trying to decide between. If you could only have one which would you pick?
    I'm mostly in the gym now but consider myself a runner - I just haven't had the opportunity with childcare lately.
    Does the Garmin 410 work indoors to measure heart rate?
  • thergj
    thergj Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'd like to take a second and say thank you to everyone who took time to contribute to this thread. I posted a similar question regarding heart rate monitors (not bras) and got zero feedback.