dont understand..

Options
Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
I dont understand why your supposed to eat your work out calories. if i burn 300 calories on the treadmill how am i going to loose the weight if i eat those calories back? I dont get it. And my mom was the one that asked me this which made me wonder. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Replies

• jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am sure someone will direct you to the page where it explains this, but basically MFP already deducts your calorie deficit in your daily allowance that you need to lose weight. I always eat most of the calories back, not all. But before I thought the same as you and didn't eat them, I stopped losing weight because I was basically starving myself. When I started eating them back I started losing again.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I agree with the replies. It does seem if you don't eat them your weight goes stagnant for a bit. Your body thinks it is being starved and begins to hold onto cals instead of burning them. Think about how many cals an olympic athlete must eat in order to maintain their healthy weight. It is phenominal. Eat them, you deserve them. Your body will thank you by a happy weigh day! :flowerforyou:
  • hlanders
    hlanders Posts: 50
    Options
    I thought the same as you. I just started losing ...because i did eat them back. After months of not eating them my body stayed the same...I was so upset...cause I was exercising...4 times a week....and nothing....now in just under a week and and a half almost 2 lbs down.... Just do it... at least you can see for yourself.
    I am eating sooo much...i couldn't believe that I was losing...It's awesome to me!:flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    The link provided above will give you great info in detail but in basic:

The amount of calories you are allotted by MFP for daily consumption has a built in deficit. (Ex: You might burn 1800 cals on a normal daily basis, but MFP allots you 1400 to eat, building in a 400 calorie deficit so you will lose weight.) When you burn extra calories from exercise, you are adding to that deficit. To keep your body at the right level of caloric intake, you should eat back the calories you burn during exercise. You STILL have a calorie deficit for the day, helping your body to lose weight.

A great example of this is MFP member TamTastic. She lost 135lbs, eating all her calories and ALL her exercise calories daily.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    I'm down 20# in 3 months eating my daily target and ALL of my exercise calories. :) It works if you let it!