thighs are getting bulky.Advice pls?

Options

Replies

• julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Get your pants tailored.

This. Or buy some nice belts. Loose pant waist is a problem for me, too- but I think it's a fairly small problem to have.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cailinlowe
    cailinlowe Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    lower weights, more reps
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I also find that cardio is enough to sculpt my legs. I run hills. I also do plenty of squats, burpees, and squat jumps in boxing class. I hate, hate, hate squat jumps and burpees, but I think that my thighs have actually gottena a hair smaller doing them. For people who put on muscle easily, lifting may be overkill. It's all about what works for your body. Anyways thick thighs are hot as heck, just get new pants.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i really like that email
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've always had larger thighs, I blame the constant squatting from volleyball and then the excess fat I carried on top of it. They are starting to lean out though... NOT to be read as getting skinny, they're getting solid. The squish is going away and I'm getting stronger. The pants thing has always been an issue for me, my butt and thighs aren't a big fan of most cuts of jeans.

Lifting isn't making you bulky, I promise that. Your trainer's email was AWESOME, btw. I would say if you want to get leaner, you're going to have to work on a little more of a deficit. Cardio isn't sculpting either, if you're adding it into a lifting routine and keeping your caloric intake constant its merely creating a higher caloric deficit which is probably just putting you into a "cut".
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention, or a little extra muscle AS WELL AS extra fat, which can make legs appear bulky. Not the muscle alone. On a deficit, the amount of muscle you are going to gain from lifting heavy is very minimal. Lifting heavy (low reps) only made me smaller / less bulky when combined with a calorie deficit.

I now have the same "problem" as you now, but except I love it. I'm aiming for that and eating 3000+ calories alongside training to get the extra muscle. Basically, it comes down to food / fat levels (and water retention).

There is no reason to go lighter and higher reps, lifting heavy for low reps is not what bulks you up! Bulky powerlifters are that way because they eat to get that way. There are tons of small, have-not-much-muscle powerlifting girls out there that lift a ton. Why? Because they train and eat for strength, not size, and training for strength means more weight, less reps.

Hope that helps somewhat :)
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The comments about water retention are probably spot on. I typically lose 2-3 lbs of water weight if I don't lift for 3-4 days. Also, you may be gaining muscle in your thighs but not losing much fat there yet (stupid genetics!). In time, if you continue to increase lean muscle mass and reduce fat, you'll see the thighs disappear.

For me as a man, I retain fat around my mid-section. I've got minimal fat on most of my body, but the gut is still well rounded. I've made progress as time as gone on though.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    lower weights, more reps
    Bad advice.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of questions regarding the email from the personal trainer:
    I rarely witness women with big thunder thighs working heavy with the weight equipment. However, women who lift heavy with their legs almost always have lean, shapely, firm legs. The few women I do see lifting heavy, who actually have big thighs, are big all over: overall excess body fat. My recommendation: To trim big thighs, hit the weights hard - and heavy. Heavy weight workouts in a woman will incinerate fat, resulting in smaller, firmer gams!
    So... like the OP, I'm ALL legs. Each of my legs is nearly the same number of inches around as my WAIST. I'm really QUITE bottom-heavy. I've been walking on a HARD incline at the gym for an hour for the past few weeks. By walking, I mean like... 12-15, speed 3.5-4.0 depending on how active I'm feeling that day. I was told by a bodybuilder at the gym this works WONDERS for burning fat & toning legs, & trust me, there is BURN when I'm doing this.

But... what about my cellulite? I know that cellulite is just little pockets of fat between the muscle/skin fibres that cause the skin to look dimpled. How do you make it go away? From burning high calories on the treadmill, I've managed to ditch the cellulite on my lower legs, but not the upper. Is this something that will just come with time as I get closer to my goal weight? Please bear in mind, that I'm realistic, & realize at age 30 I'm not going to be the 120lbs I was in high school. My goal is actually to be around 140-145, so I'm within 10lbs of that now.

You mention "lean, toned legs", but are these on people who've always had them? What about the rest of us? Will the cellulite EVER leave, or is this just something I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    The email from the personal trainer was pretty spot on.

Assuming you are eating at a deficit, it will not be you getting 'bulky'. Women eating at a deficit, who are new to training, can only gain approx 1 - 2lb of muscle (newbie gains) and that is all over your body. This is not enough to make your thighs huge. If your pants are snug it will be water retention in the muscles. I know that when I do legs at the gym my jeans are a little more snug around the thighs due to this. It is temporary (to a degree as if you keep working them the retention will stay to a degree) and is not muscle.

loved that email...think i will save it.

Agree! You have a good trainer!!
  • mmapags
    Options
    lower weights, more reps
    Bad advice.

+1
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    great answer from the personal trainer.!!

yes, keep lifting! lift heavy by golly... and eat to lose a few pounds! we all know you cannot spot reduce... so....

you might also want to look at your cardio.. spinning is all about your legs, so they may be getting zero recovery..

shake it up, try some different cardio.. I love Zumba.. and actually running.. ever see a runner with 'bulky' legs?

Just my two cents..
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm a runner and have always had bulky legs--they only got bulkier with lifting. Even at 12% body far (early this year) my thighs were disproportionately large.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'm a runner and have always had bulky legs--they only got bulkier with lifting. Even at 12% body far (early this year) my thighs were disproportionately large.

Could that just be your genetics? Is this the case with other women in your family?
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too. Focus your weight training on your upper body, up the cardio, drink A LOT of water and eat a lot of protein. Once you start to loose body fat and the swelling goes down, they will seem less bulky.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Well--I have a different dad than my siblings and my sisters have overweight family members--I don't have those genes on my side. I've always just had a bulkier bottom half--not fat at all but just really solid thighs.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Well, I will go eat my humble pie. Sorry!
    Although, I bet you (like most women) are especially hard on yourself and you have awesome looking legs!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Ever noticed that bulky powerlifters train REALLY heavy but only a few reps? While lean sculpters train higher reps? My trainers used to always get me to train over 15 reps while sculpting, and under when I had to bulk up (say to even out a thigh!). Maybe try higher reps, even if it means going slightly lower in weight (but always lift as high as you can for the intended number of reps)

lol sorry higher rep ranges 8-12ish will build more skeletal muscle than lower rep ranges so idk wut ur saying... the bulk in your legs comes from eating too many calories or having too much body fat.. sure u can build muscle and have tighter pants but the legs should ateast look better when you do that, so if they look worse you are consuming too much.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    When women say their thighs are "getting bulky" I have to wonder how they know. Are you taking measurements? How much have they increased? Are you accounting for swelling and water retention generated by weight lifting? Lets say each thigh has increased 1 inch. Is one inch enough to go from "non-bulky" to bulky?

My thighs went from 24.5" to 23" during weight loss last year. I then started heavy lifting and EATING AT A CALORIE SURPLUS in an effort to gain muscle. My thighs again grew to 24.5 inches. I gained about 12lbs so this isn't surprising. I was a size 6 in pants. Ended up closer to an 8 but could still fit into some of my 6s. (I'm also 5'9" for context). So, in summary, I only gained 1.5inches per thigh when lifting heavy and TRYING to gain muscle (and the fat that comes with it) and I'm "PEAR SHAPED".