For the sausage lovers..

Options
Hey folks!

I happened across a sausage type mix, that is delicious, cheap, and lower calorie than the store bought stuff.

Now here is a Disclaimer - I've no idea what goes into the real stuff - I just happened to throw this together and was amazed at how much it tastes like sausage. So much so that I am using it interchangeably - as a topping on homemade pizza, in omelettes, you name it. Incredibly flavorful..

Recipe:
1 lb Ground Chicken (not lean, just plain old ground chicken) - I believe the average is around 180 calories per 4 oz raw weight
2 tablespoons of old bay seasoning
1 teaspoon of dehydrated chopped garlic

mix the above in a bowl as you would for meat loaf to combine
put mix in skillet and cook thoroughly, breaking up into small chunks(like crumbled sausage)

I weighed mine out in single portions and bagged then froze. One 3.5 oz cooked portion is approximately 180 calories. It might be closer to 3.25 oz but I have to reweigh when I cook the next batch to confirm.

I use about half of that on my pizza or in my omelette, so it's less than 100 calories for a serving, and has massive amounts of flavor :) the texture is very sausage-y - which I think is maybe due to it being non-lean chicken -just regular ground chicken.

Anyhow - I promise you won't regret it if you try this. let me know what you think. :)

Replies

• obored1
    obored1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    For a second there I thought this thread would be VERY different.

However, thanks for the recipe! I've been wanting to try my hand at making my own sausage since some premade stuff has questionable ingredients. I just might do this tonight!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

this

sausage-gif.gif
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this from the title too... :-) But great idea for a simple chicken sausage
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If you toast some fennel seeds and add them you'll have another sausage dimension.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you toast some fennel seeds and add them you'll have another sausage dimension.

I appreciate a multidimensional sausage.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    see if I can get this to post :)

297292_4351706602271_1524710447_n.jpg
  • schustc
    Options
    bump
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Sausage lovers ... heh.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this

sausage-gif.gif

not this. size matters :tongue:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This isn't the kind of sausage I love. =(
  • schustc
    Options
    LOL! So the title IS a bit.. open to interpretation - I get it - HOWEVER - In my defense, this IS the food and nutrition board... :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • ggtojuju
    ggtojuju Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump