Anorexic?

Options
Hi y'ail,

I struggled with anorexia for about a year, then recovered and looked fine.

MyFitnessPal recommended a lower number of calories than my dietitian, so...guess what?

I've gone back to restricting! Dumb me :/

To meet my dietitian's requirements, I have to eat more than what MyFitnessPal says, but I'm really struggling with this.

Anyone have advice? Is this normal?

Replies

• mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Go to My home...goals...change goals and set your calories to meet your dieticians recommendations ... you have a professional helping you out so use their calories and ignore MFP. MFP is just a generalized suggestion for a wide range of people and should not be used to override your dietician's recommendation.
  • Go to My home...goals...change goals and set your calories to meet your dieticians recommendations ... you have a professional helping you out so use their calories and ignore MFP. MFP is just a generalized suggestion for a wide range of people and should not be used to override your dietician's recommendation.

This
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Go to My home...goals...change goals and set your calories to meet your dieticians recommendations ... you have a professional helping you out so use their calories and ignore MFP. MFP is just a generalized suggestion for a wide range of people and should not be used to override your dietician's recommendation.

Exactly this, keep working on your recovery that is the most important thing!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your dietician knows you better than a computer program does.
  • anygal
    anygal Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really want to be healthy, but it's just rough when I see people who are healthy but are smaller than I am. I like to think I can be healthy and be as small as them.
  • ceejay1982
    Options
    I agree with everyone above UV done so well.to recover. Keep focused
  • FatFinn320
    Options

----This is wonderful advice!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Listen to what your dietician says, especially considering your history. It sounds like you want to be healthy and well, so mentally shake yourself our of it and go back to what they suggested. Try and stop comparing yourself to other people, too. Everyone has different bodies and carries their weight differently. People have different body compositions. Five people of the exact same height and weight could look dramatically different depending on the amount of muscle they have, and their natural body shape. Also, you can never tell by looking at someone how healthy they really are. I think it's so easy for any of us to get caught up in comparing ourselves to other people, and all the more so when you are recovering from an eating disorder. I'm sure you are well aware of how much the mind can play tricks on you, so don't give into that!

If it helps at all, MFP probably works differently to your dietician anyway. MFP is set up to give you a calorie goal before any exercise, on the assumption that you will log exercise and eat those exercise calories back. Otherwise, it would give you a higher calorie goal. That causes a lot of confusion for people, and I think it also provides the wrong kind of temptation for people who tend to over-restrict. That is how it works though. So, if you MFP you are sedentary, and you exercise, then you should definitely be eating more than the goal it gives you. I expect your dietician works differently and gave you a calorie goal based on all of your daily activity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Delete your profile and step away from MFP....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    MFP only does math based on what you tell it to do. Your dietician knows what you need to be doing based on education and knowing what is healthy. If tracking calories on here makes you regress then I'd suggest stepping away from it. If you can be here and just use it to track your food then follow the advice to reset your goal to the numbers your dietician has given you.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    MFP only does math based on what you tell it to do. Your dietician knows what you need to be doing based on education and knowing what is healthy. If tracking calories on here makes you regress then I'd suggest stepping away from it. If you can be here and just use it to track your food then follow the advice to reset your goal to the numbers your dietician has given you.

^This exactly ^
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    MFP didn't recommend anything. It calculated based on what you put in.
  • tarakizer
    Options
    What is your goal with MFP?