Thinking of trying Stevia. Anyone like it?

Options
DJ2120
DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
And is the liquid better than the powder or vice versa or do they taste & do the same thing? I would probably want the individual packets so I can carry them in my bag.

Replies

• fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the liquid, but I love the powder! I put it in everything, haha. It's really convenient and worth it.
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The liquid is not always as refined as the powders and tends to have a slightly bitter taste. I love the powder versions though.
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used the powder on my breakie cereal and it was great!! Much better than the others.
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    I use the powder all the time. That is really the only sweetener I use unless baking of course. But I mean in drinks and such.
  • Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been using liquid stevia in my coffee for over a year, I like it better than the powder. Talk to the staff at your health food store for their recommendations, some powders can taste really bitter. Buy the smallest one incase it doesn't work out. Good luck!
  • trobbin88
    trobbin88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    have it in my coffee every morning and love it!
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use it! I have both liquid and powder. I like the liquid better for tea(I don't sweeten coffee)but I don't add sweetner to much else. I also found that through the summer in my humid kitchen that the powder stuff kind of got hard and even though I could still crack it up and use it, it was a pain.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have been using liquid stevia in my coffee for over a year, I like it better than the powder. Talk to the staff at your health food store for their recommendations, some powders can taste really bitter. Buy the smallest one incase it doesn't work out. Good luck!

Yeah that's what I was planning, just get the smallest amount to try it out.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have tried several different kinds and the NuNaturals brand powder tastes just like real sugar! Love it for my "sweet" tea.
  • K2ofCU
    K2ofCU Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    IF you have tried stevia and do not like it- DO try several different brands /forms (tinctures, liquids, powders, brands, etc.) before casting a final verdict.
    Some have a strong licorice taste; some have other binders/mix-ins that you may not like (READ the labels!), and some are just great.
    DO give it a chance- it is worth it, and is a positive addition to a healthy nutrition plan.

NuNaturals is the brand that I prefer (NStevia).
    It's available in bulk, in smaller (jar) quantities, and in portable packets (boxes of 50 or 100). Obviously, the prepackaged packets are more expensive, but are convenient for use on the go.

If you are lucky enough to have a local food coop- you can get it in bulk from the bulk bins.
    Don't be put off by the price per pound- it's breathtakingly impressive, but a half-pound will last a LONG time.
    Buy a 1/4 lb if you're really not certain, or ask store staff for a sample.
    (do NOT free-sample- it's unsanitary and will incur wrath of the hygiene-minded (like me)).

I use an old Benefiber bottle (has a waist that I envy! ha!!!) to hold the loose stevia powder (use a funnel to fill).
    I put a rubber band around the waist- to hold the dedicated '1/2 teaspoon' spoon* that I use to measure out the stevia.
    (1/2 teaspoon = appx. 2 teaspoons sugar).

(*there is no law that says that the measuring spoon set must stay together!- get them out and about in your kitchen as little dedicated soldiers to help you lose weight by being available to measure those things that should be measured! ha!
    Put a tablespoon in the nut jar, 1/2 t with the stevia, etc.- the possibilities are endless!
    If you're worried about not being able to find them for cooking-gasp- have at least TWO sets! lol
    Buy a dedicated set for the kitchen, and one to break up and put to work as field soldiers!)

LOVE stevia! :))
  • daryabella
    Options
    I love it! I always went with Equal which is terrible for you until I did a lot of research on the best sweeteners. I use the packets from Trader Joe's and it does taste a little weird but it does the trick and for 0 calories and only 2 g of carbs? I'm not complaining.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I like it. I use the liquid sweet leaf in Vanilla Creme flavor. Toffee flavor is good as well.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I will tell you the liquid does have a bit of an after taste. I use Truvia and it's like sugar in a container. I have also used the liquid stevia and I'm okay with that as well, but my husband doesn't like the after taste. I do like teh vanilla flavored one as well.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The powder tastes way better than the liquid, and I have tried many different brands and flavors of liquid stevia over the years. I used to use Truvia, which still tastes weird, but then I found a brand called Erba Dolce. They make stevia powder in the individual packets and it has the best taste I have found, it reminds me of Equal. It was in the bulk bins at my local grocery store and was not expensive either.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever add sugar to drinks or foods (like coffee, tea, cereal) but I do have stevia in the house. I use it for those rare occasions that I want sugar in my drinks, and I like it (I also have regular sugar for guests). I don't really see any difference with it and sugar but like I said, I don't normally put sugar in drinks or foods.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I used Splenda for ages. Then I switched to Truvia. Now I use Stevia and I haven't used the other since. To me, it tastes the best.
  • cyndispot
    Options
    I have some stevia, but tried it once and used WAY to much. Thanks for the measure equivalent.

I am wondering, do you think I could use it in my cocoa? I mean if I did it with cocoa, powder milk and added the stevia for the sweetness...would it work for that? I think I saw it couldn't be used for baking so not sure what it can't be used for....I might just try it and see to. thanks.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Loved it, but had to stop it. It completely stopped My cycles - and the wife of a friend also had issues where it threw her off her normal day count on her cycles.

both of of us stopped it, and My cycle came back in less than 9 days, and hers went back to normal almost immediately.

Mine were messed up for 4 months - I believe hers were about the same.

If you can tolerate it and doesn't affect you (appears only only affect a small minority of us) then go for it. If you notice it having an adverse affect in this way, just keep this in mind so you don't make yourself crazy trying to figure out the cause.

Good luck - and enjoy!
  • Grmacereal
    Options
    I like Truvia. I actually use less of it than something like Splenda
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes disgusting.