No Gallbladder - Now what??

Options

Replies

• lookingforsomething
    Options
    Had mine out in 2002 or 2003 - can't remember exactly!
    Had two weeks off work - only cause they thought that they wouldn't be able to do it key hole - which they did in the end.
    I stayed two days in the hospital due to having a drain. Two days after I got home I was back to doing housework etc - just no heavy lifting etc.

I have not had to change my diet at all - I was told to watch fatty food and spicy foods also - but luckily never had a problem. I LOVE spicy foods.

I do know of people that have problems with fatty foods afterwards.

Everyone is different - so it is a bit of trial and error.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • Annetaib
    Annetaib Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had mine out two years ago and I'm very happy I did. My general well being is greatly improved since. The biggest thing for me has been than I no longer have to carefully control my diet to avoid rich fatty foods. Now I CAN eat them again and so I have tended to put on weight. It's true that my body sometimes doesn't quite know what to do with some fatty foods. In the first few months especially, after the operation I might sometimes get a sudden urge to dash to the loo. Bt overall, there have been no problems at all, apart from weight gain. Its a very straight forward operation and the recovery period is brief.
  • bridgettegarzonie
    bridgettegarzonie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I've been eating pretty much normally. I had my 22nd birthday during recovery on Thursday, and had margaritas and did just fine! Yay!

I talked to my family as I knew that my diet was not the issue. I don't eat much fast food and I don't do high fat foods and never really have. I've always eaten fairly healthy even as a teenager. Turns out my great-great-great-great grandpa died of gallstones, and in every generation since there has been at least 1 person who have had the same thing and had their gallbladder removed. So mine was obviously genetic. Hopefully my future children don't get the bad luck, as I do not wish that pain on anyone!

Thanks again everyone! I'm back to work and school full time. I'm tired still, but as a full time student, that's expected. :-) My steri-strips are about to fall off, which I'm more then ready for as they are itchy! 1 more week till my follow up. It looks like my upper most incision is going to be the largest scar so I'm already plotting my battle of it with mederma scar gel.
  • hellmama5
    hellmama5 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. The discussion has been very helpful. I was in the ER all day yesterday brought on by indigestion & the feeling that I was having a heart attack. Many tests later and all fingers pointed to my gallbladder. Hurricane Sandy postponed my surgery for today and consequently for the week since my surgeon is going to be out of town. At least the storm closed schools so I am home today anyway. This also gives me an opportunity to get an abdominal CT scan done this week, to really be sure before removing my GB. I have been using MFP since the end of July and slowly lost 15 lbs. Since my diet is already high fiber and I thought lower in greasy fats, I was really caught off guard by this experience. I was even feeling pretty amazing the whole day beforehand. Hopefully the constipation/bloated feeling will go away before surgery. That really makes my judgement off as far as improvement is concerned.
  • fitmama419
    Options
    I had mine out right after Memorial Day. I was feel a little better a week out, but took me about 2 weeks to fully recover. After my surgery, the only thing I had issues with were things that were greasy and red meat.

If I have something fatty now, I will have some pain.

The thing that sucked the most for me was no exercise of any kind besides walking for 4 weeks.
  • kvanderbeek1
    kvanderbeek1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all you missing gallbladderers too. I found out yesterday that I wil have mine removed next week as they found multiple gallstones and it looked like one had already passed as the duct was open. I have an appointment with the surgeon Tuesday. I was told until then eat low-fat foods and clear liquids. If I feel an attack coming on I'm supposed to go to ER. I'm not sure how an attack will feel any different than I have been this entire last week. If I sit or lay down I have sharp pains throughout my upper abdomen around my side and up my back. The pain is a lot less if I'm up and moving around. I haven't slept in 5 days because the pain is so bad at night. What is different about an attack that I'm already feeling, that I should head to the ER? Thanks!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all you missing gallbladderers too. I found out yesterday that I wil have mine removed next week as they found multiple gallstones and it looked like one had already passed as the duct was open. I have an appointment with the surgeon Tuesday. I was told until then eat low-fat foods and clear liquids. If I feel an attack coming on I'm supposed to go to ER. I'm not sure how an attack will feel any different than I have been this entire last week. If I sit or lay down I have sharp pains throughout my upper abdomen around my side and up my back. The pain is a lot less if I'm up and moving around. I haven't slept in 5 days because the pain is so bad at night. What is different about an attack that I'm already feeling, that I should head to the ER? Thanks!

My 'attacks' used to last @6 hours - I could almost set time by them. Would feel like someone was stabbing me in the low middle of my ribcage - think heartburn but WAY WORSE. The one that sent me to emergency didn't stop after 6 hours and was accompanied by a severe nausea and vomiting.

I was back to work in a couple days but was moving a little slower. I also was one of the unlucky ones who has had to modify the diet a bit to cut down on the fat/spice even though I was never a big junk eater to begin with. I know I've had too much when I get the 'heartburn' feeling.
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For those asking what an "attack" feels like... accute attacks feel like the worst stomach ache you've ever felt... had my first two attacks when I was pregnant and the dr's just attributed it to pregnancy indigestion... they were awful... the pain was so instense I had to stand up and pace and threw up a few times... and tried to make myself throw up a few times to try to relieve the pain and pressure I felt... my third attack happened after my son was born when he was about 3 months old... went immediately to the dr and after some tests they said it was my gallbladder...

had it removed a few months later and had no issues with any further "attacks"... the surgery itself I had issues with but it still ended up being an outpatient procedure but for a week I couldn't sleep in my bed... had to sleep either in a recliner or the couch where I couldn't roll one way or the other... I have issues only if I have too much greasy food but other than that I've had no dietary restrictions and this was 7 years ago that I had it done
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I know the post is a tad older but I just had mine taken out on Monday, Nov 5th. It has now been almost a week and I am feeling like my old self again. I haven't had issues with food as of now but I am trying to keep my diet low fat like my doctor recommended for a month. Also, only mentioned once, and I thought it could be helpful to some, I was told no exercise other than walking for 4 weeks and no lifting more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    For me it took a while to recover and my diet has had to change drastically, but there were several complications during and after my surgery.
    My mom on the other hand had hers out and was fine in a few days and has been fine eating whatever though she does now have issues with constipation.
    So just see how it goes for your body. Some people it doesn't effect and others it does. I mean you are missing an organ after all.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on November 2 and am feeling pretty well. I have pushed it a few times with high fat foods and have regreted it right away. I guess it's time to stop being stubborn and accept a low fat diet for a while.
  • AnnieFJ
    AnnieFJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Had mine out about 8 years ago. Took a few weeks off work. Healed up fine (keyhole scars v. small)

No difference in what I can eat.

Just a healthy balanced diet and you should be fine.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all of you. I had mine out over 2 years ago, and it was nothing like most of yours. They had to open me up mid surgery, and I was in the hospital for a lovely 7day 6night stay. I had a pouch haning out of my abdomen for most of that stay to drain bile. They put a stint in the day before I left, and I had to go back a few months later to get it out. I was out of work for a little over a month. During my recovery I got rather hooked on my painkillers because I was on so much. When I went back to work I stopped taking them, and I had 48 hours of serious withrawl. I have a 10 inch scar to show though.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    All you guys who actually had information from your doctors should consider yourselves lucky.. Mine was done in emergency and they didn't tell me ANYTHING. It took me 3 years to figure it out on my own that my 'issues' were the result of the surgery. I was honestly beginning to give up hope that I would ever get back to normal! I thank MFP for encouraging me to change my diet and due to those changes I was able to make the correlation for myself.
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed about 2-3 months ago. My Doc didn't tell me about any diet changes post surgery but I have learned to make some anyway. I have a low tolerance to dairy right now and I have a feeling it's because it's a little higher in fat than some other foods. Mexican probably isn't a good choice for a while either honestly (I cant even sit through dinner without having to run for the bathroom). And yes like you said low fat foods. Other than that it kind of depends on the person. My mom and aunt both had theirs out too and each of us have different foods that set us off.

I was back up and working within a week after having surgery but I still feel a bit of a "pain" where I had my gall bladder attacks on occasion but they're so mild I barely take notice. But that's part of healing. Don't lift anything (even a jug of milk) for a little while until you are 100%!!
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    1. How long did it take you to recover fully from the surgery? -- I'm up and moving around but still not 100%.
    About four weeks. That's for the incisions to completely heal and the muscles they had cut through to heal up. I was back on my feet and off pain meds in a few days.
    2. Did you have to make any permanent diet changes?

I did not, but a lot of people do. My gall bladder issues weren't issues with my cholesterol or the amount of fat I ate - it was a mineral thing, and soda and highly acidic foods would set my gall bladder off. A fair number of people who have the surgery will suffer from severe diarrhea when they go back to eating fat. YMMV. I haven't had any trouble eating any greasy foods on occasion, but when I overdo it, I do get sick. Gall bladder surgery affects everyone differently, but grease is generally the big culprit for people afterward. Some people have issues with spicy food, some people get sick from vegetables they once were able to eat with no issues. You just have to trial and error it a bit.
    3. Are there temporary diet changes I should be doing?? - My doc only said no dairy and low fat foods, but nothing beyond that -- not even for how long.

Good idea to stay away from spicy food for a few days. Stick to a bland diet/poached foods. I eat a lot of very spicy food, and my surgeon told me to go in very gradually.

Wishing you a swift recovery.
  • mikayla169
    mikayla169 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    God I can sympathise with this! I had pancreatitis over the weekend due to gallstones and am scheduled for surgery on 16th December. Needless to say, being a week before christmas I'm a little dubious, but after the pain I;'ve just been through, I cant wait!
    My doctor has said that things can go completely back to normal afterwards, but obviously she recommends staying on with a low fat diet...but then, I think its also safe to say our English doctors are a little blase when it comes to healthcare in comparison to American!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My husband had his removed a few years ago. He recovered fully in just a few weeks. The doctor did not give him any diet changes.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My surgery wasn't emergency, but I don't know if that matters. It was laparoscopic, and I had it done on a Wednesday morning and was 95% by the following Monday. It was 7 years ago, but I seem to recall that Wed night was OK, I was still kind of loopy and sleepy. Thursday night into Friday day was the worst for me, pain wise. I actually didn't take anything stronger than tylenol/advil, but I can't really remember why. I think I was terrified of getting constipated from the Vicodin.

Anyway, I took it really easy for the first week or so. I lived on oatmeal and english muffins with PB. I wasn't sure what I was in for, so I wanted to take it slow. Over the first month, I started adding back in my normal foods like eggs, turkey sandwiches, chicken stir fry, tomato-based products, and wine.

These days, i can eat pretty much anything I want. I definitely get some GI stuff going on with heavy fatty meals (like fast food or pizza, for example), but no worse than my gallbladder-intact husband. The only real problem I can think of is raw spinach. My guts do not like raw spinach or lettuce AT ALL.

Feel better!
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I have however had days when I know I have eaten the wrong foods and you better be near a bathroom.

yup!