No Gallbladder - Now what??

Options

Replies

• brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 5 years ago. It took 3-4 weeks before I went back to school. I ate exactly the same, if not worse, during the following years. Only downside, usage of the washroom increased! :/
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out a month ago as well. I had stones for about three years prior to eating it taken out. It only took me about 5 days to heal, two weeks to be completely fine. The surgery was a wake up call for me, to get my gallbladder out at 21, really showed me how poor my eating habits are. Gallstones are usually caused by a high fat, high cholesterol, low fiber diet. They can also be caused by yoyo dieting, rapid weight loss, and weight gain. I am now so determined to eat high fiber, balanced diet.
    Not sure if your doctor told you, but your gallbladder holds the bile that your liver creates while breaking down whatever you put in your body. Now that the gallbladder is gone, eating fatty foods or highly processed foods that put more pressure on your liver, may cause nausea, diarrhea, etc. Excessive bile simply has no where to go, so it goes right through you! Since the surgery, I have stayed away from many fried foods. However, I did have a small amount of french fries, and did not have any problems. It varies for each person. Take this as a wake-up call to reevaluate your eating habits. For some gallstones is genetic, but for many it is because of poor eating habits and extra weight.

I know a ridiculous amount about gallstones and the gallbladder if anyone has any questions!

OK, what do you know about overactive gallbladder? I recently had a HIDA scan at 80% what causes the gallbladder to produce so much bile?
  • lrcross
    lrcross Posts: 42
    Options

My questions are:
    1. How long did it take you to recover fully from the surgery? -- I'm up and moving around but still not 100%.
    2. Did you have to make any permanent diet changes?
    3. Are there temporary diet changes I should be doing?? - My doc only said no dairy and low fat foods, but nothing beyond that -- not even for how long.

Had my emergency surgery back in 1999...

1. 6 months; I was in pain for about a year.
    2. I cannot eat lots of fried food in a weeks time; I stopped coating my chicken when I fry it. I am already lactose intolerant but began eating yogurt to help with upset stomach back then.
    3. Since your doc says no dairy and low fat foods, I'd follow that for now and see how your body response over the upcoming months. My dietary changes were permanent.

Peaceful healing. :smile:
  • Dame_Venus
    Options
    I had mine removed June 14th of this year.

I was back in school and work a week later but I was walking around and going places a couple days after (which wasn't the best idea)

At first I had issues with heavy and fatty foods. (It's embarrassing but it gave me the runs)

However, now I am okay. Sometimes when I eat heavily my stomach gets upset but for the most part I don't really feel any different.

But, I have been sticking to eating healthier because they found fat in my liver while they were giving me an ultrasound for gallstones but that has nothing to do with the lack of a gallbladder.

My doctor told me that I didn't need to change my diet after the surgery. However, I'm sure it's different for everyone.

I hope you have a nice and speedy recovery.
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2009, at the time I was very obese, but it only took a couple weeks to feel normal again. I heard the same things about certain foods being difficult. It seems that if I skip eating breakfast I have problems sometime. The liver dumps bile when I skip breakfast and then that causes a need for the restroom. However if I eat breakfast I have no effects what so ever.

I think everyone is different, I've heard various stories, but hopefully you have no side effects.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed with laparoscopic surgery in 2001. My gall bladder was removed on Sunday evening, and I went home Monday afternoon. I had an entire week off from work, but I was up and moving around by Tuesday. It helped that I made myself walk a lot at the hospital and around the house. I just made sure to hug my belly whenever I coughed, sneezed, or rolled over in bed. I was still exhausted, though. I did go out with friends that weekend, and I felt just fine. So I'd say it took me five days to recover completely.

I ate mostly soup and other light foods the first few days and then gradually re-introduced heavier foods. I still have issues with some dairy and most fatty food, especially restaurant food. Almost every time I eat in a restaurant, I have to go to the bathroom within a half-hour because of the oils/butter they use when cooking. It's a lot like being lactose intolerant - gas, bloating, and diarrhea. If I don't know if I'll be near a bathroom after eating, I try to pick foods that are baked and/or lowfat. It kind of sucks, but you get used to it, and it's not like it lasts all day (unless you gorge yourself on fatty food).
  • PegJ
    PegJ Posts: 7
    Options
    I had mine out last year. I went to back to work the next day but took the next two off. After 1 week, i was mostly back to normal but took it easy for a month before going back to exercise. It was slow going when I did. (Old people were passing me walking on the street.But, slow and steady wins the race and after a couple weeks I was passing the old guys.)
    As for dietary changes, I went easy on the fats for a few months then started reintroducing them and haven't had any issues.

Best wishes on get back.
  • kallisto208
    Options
    It took me about 3 weeks before I was back to normal eating wise, a little longer before my incisions heeled... I don't remember a whole lot anymore, I was 17 when I had it done (12 years ago now). My attacks were brought on by red meat (if it's not cooked well done) and rich, creamy cheeses so I still try to avoid those to avoid having a stomach ache (liver working overtime to compensate for the missing bile stores) or going the other way with the touch of IBS and have to use the restroom right after eating.

You'll figure out what foods may or may not give problems but for the most part shouldn't have any issues, keeping a healthy diet should be the best thing regardless. Good luck with the recovery.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder out 10 years ago. I went out on a full day of light intensity hiking 6 days later wearing a light backpack. That evening as we wrapped up the day was the first time I took one of my hydrocodone with tylenol tabs because I was kinda sore after all that. Otherwise I just took it a little easy for a few days afterwards. The lap wounds itched a bit. I have some small scars. The biggest/most obvious is the uppermost one, center of the torso about 3 inches below my sternum. I guess I pulled more on that area as it healed, so it stretched a bit more and created a wider bit of scar tissue.

As for food, avoid much fat in your diet for several weeks, and thereafter just don't eat any huge quantities of fat. The gallbladder provides a repository of bile, which breaks down fats during digestion. Not enough bile now to handle lots of fat, so if you go too far, your guts will let you know in a less than pleasant manner. And as another warned, it will keep you in the bathroom for a while.

For a while I actually didn't tolerate large salads for a while, even with limited low-fat dressing, but that eventually resolved too. I never had a problem with dairy, unless it was large quantities of cheese that I didn't need to eat anyway!
  • cecee27
    cecee27 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in January of this year. I have been fine ever since as far as my diet was concerned. It took me about 4 weeks to feel 100% better. I was unable to sit or stand for long periods of time for the first three weeks or so, it was miserable. I did find that wearing very supportive underwear, the corset type that come up to just below your breasts worked really well, this helped with the pain and pressure from the internal swelling from the surgery.

However, my husband who had to have his out in February of this year, yes I think he wanted to copy me...lol; he has had nothing but problems. He has had to stick to a low-fat diet in order to avoid making countless trips to the bathroom after every single meal.

After his surgery he tried every type of low-carb, gluten free, no-dairy, diet that you can think of. After ruling out everything one step at a time he found that it was fatty foods that would cause him grief.

Hang in there....everybody's body heals differently!
  • marlynej
    marlynej Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Had mine out about 5 years ago just have a few little marks on my stomach it was done without an incision arthriscopially. I had no pain after and from the start ate any and everything I want. No problems at all!!!!!!!!
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery when I was 24. And I was not overweight at the time... in fact about 10lbs lighter than I am now (AKA my goal weight) I was out of work for a week after having my gallbladder removed. It was not a planned surgery. I ended up at the urgent care thinking I was having a heart attack (shooting pain in my chest straight through to my back). Turns out it was a combination of an air bubble in my stomach and gall stones. Had surgery 2 days later (and 6 weeks before my wedding).

It took me a week to get back to work, because I had complications during my surgery and was in the OR for about 8 hours as they tried to remove it.

The worst parts of recovery:
    Having my stomach pumped up with air. I looked about 7 months pregnant, and my insides would move around. I had to hold a pillow to my stomach every time I wanted to sit up from in the bed.
    Having trouble going to the bathroom. It hurt so much to push at all, so I had to take stool softeners. And probably TMI, but suppositories also.
    Everything I ate made me sick for the first couple weeks. Now I am pretty much back to normal. I had trouble with dairy before, and now it's even harder for me to eat, but I love it so I continue to eat it anyway.
  • hobomclacey
    hobomclacey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out a month ago as well. I had stones for about three years prior to eating it taken out. It only took me about 5 days to heal, two weeks to be completely fine. The surgery was a wake up call for me, to get my gallbladder out at 21, really showed me how poor my eating habits are. Gallstones are usually caused by a high fat, high cholesterol, low fiber diet. They can also be caused by yoyo dieting, rapid weight loss, and weight gain. I am now so determined to eat high fiber, balanced diet.
    Not sure if your doctor told you, but your gallbladder holds the bile that your liver creates while breaking down whatever you put in your body. Now that the gallbladder is gone, eating fatty foods or highly processed foods that put more pressure on your liver, may cause nausea, diarrhea, etc. Excessive bile simply has no where to go, so it goes right through you! Since the surgery, I have stayed away from many fried foods. However, I did have a small amount of french fries, and did not have any problems. It varies for each person. Take this as a wake-up call to reevaluate your eating habits. For some gallstones is genetic, but for many it is because of poor eating habits and extra weight.

I know a ridiculous amount about gallstones and the gallbladder if anyone has any questions!

OK, what do you know about overactive gallbladder? I recently had a HIDA scan at 80% what causes the gallbladder to produce so much bile?

I am not entirely familiar with overactive gallbladders, but I do know a few things. hope it helps!:

Foods that cause more bile production by the liver and gallbladder are fatty foods, especially deep fried. A bland diet of unprocessed, plain foods are recommended. If you have an overactive gallbladder with symptoms of pain and nausea, some doctors insist it be taken out. Many patients have noted that the symptoms disappeared after the removal of the gallbladder. If you are having pain where the gallbladder is located, talk to your doctor because you may be putting your liver and pancreas at risk if such symptoms are ignored. However, if you are not suffering from any symptoms, some doctors would just say to leave your gallbladder be. You should keep an eye on it though, since other parts of the digestive system can be negatively affected by the overactivity.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I am not entirely familiar with overactive gallbladders, but I do know a few things. hope it helps!:

Foods that cause more bile production by the liver and gallbladder are fatty foods, especially deep fried. A bland diet of unprocessed, plain foods are recommended. If you have an overactive gallbladder with symptoms of pain and nausea, some doctors insist it be taken out. Many patients have noted that the symptoms disappeared after the removal of the gallbladder. If you are having pain where the gallbladder is located, talk to your doctor because you may be putting your liver and pancreas at risk if such symptoms are ignored. However, if you are not suffering from any symptoms, some doctors would just say to leave your gallbladder be. You should keep an eye on it though, since other parts of the digestive system can be negatively affected by the overactivity.

I don't eat much fatty food, and only seldom do I eat deep fried, I haven't done spices in a long time, not even pepper..I don't even pass the salt...I have only had one pain with it in the area of the gallbladder, but have had pain between the shoulder blades, and nausea with putting anything even water in my stomach...Fatigue, tripping over my feet, inability to focus, fecal incontinance or diarrhea, etc.....also symptoms of severe low blood sugar, sugar tested not lower than 92, and usually higher.and brought out of it by eating a breakfast burro (flour tortilla, potatoes, eggs, and spam)...

.I recently, have solved a part of the puzzle,...I THINK....I seem to be having an allergic reaction to my GENERIC meds...I am sensitive to perfumes, dyes, soaps, and chemicals.....and guess what is in the generics? since I cut out most of my generics, waiting for my Dr to rewrite RX for Brands, I have lost most of the symptoms I have been going thru for the last 9 months...the bowel problem has been somewhere between 10-14 years!!!! and now I actually have my brain back, WOW...and my stool is actually formed now, and back to it's normal color (it was all different colors)....when I try to take any of those meds, even one, I get all foggy brained and stumbling over my feet....could allergies cause the gallbladder to increase it's bile?
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Outpatient surgery - Worked 1/2 day of the surgery - arrived at surgery center at noon and was home by 7 - took the next day off and was back at work the day after that. Muscles were pretty sore if I moved to quickly but other than that no complications. Surgery was 6 years ago and I was given no dietary restrictions.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 4yrs ago. Everyone is different, but my tummy does not like high fat or greasy foods. No problem with alcohol. :-)

Bile is still produced by the liver(as before), but it doesn't "dump" into your stomach like it did prior to surgery. The gallbladder is like a holding tank for the stuff. It was the middle man so to speak. The liver dispenses it in a slow trickle now. Since bile aids in breaking down fats, it would make sense that anyone eating greasy fast food could have an issue.

My daughter had hers out at 13! It was months after my surgery and I told her pediatrician I thought it was her gall bladder. He shook his head at me, until the test proved otherwise. She is 19 now and thin as a rail. Eats fast food and junk all the time. She recently had to cut out eating fried chicken. Her stomach can't break it down for some reason, and she ends up vomiting later. Other than that, she is a walking garbage pale, LOL
    ( I warned her I was thin at that age too!)
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem/surgery when I was 19. It didn't take me long to heal at all. In fact I had a 6 month old at the time so I didn't have a choice but to be up and moving around. I didn't exercise back then but if I did I'd say give it a week or so and then start back slowly with walking and things like that. Maybe ask your doctor what they think.

Food - I ate whatever and still do to this day with no complications. I haven't any issues or problems since my surgery in 2000.

This is almost a mirror image of what happened to me. I didn't have any dietary restrictions or any issues since 1977.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Had mine out about 12 years ago. Only real issue for me is that I gained about 40 lbs over two years afterwards. I didn't make any dietary changes, but things don't process the same. It's a bit of trial and error. One thing I would highly recommend is supplementing with digestive enzymes. They make a world of difference!
  • sandygut1116
    Options
    had my gull bladder out in 2003 .pretty much ate what i wanted, but in the recent past two years ive ran into some digestive complications . and went to the doctor . his suggestions for me were, cut the salt, fatty foods, greasy foods,processed foods, and go on a high fiber diet, drink lots of water ( also add powder fiber to water daily).eat plenty of fruit and nuts, etc. hope this helps you.:smile:
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out 9 years ago...I will never forget those pains..OMG...but after it was probably a couple weeks until I felt like myself again...over the years though I did have phantom pains which were similar but not as intense as the original attacks....but I was told they are normal to have...fast food is a no no...at first I couldn't eat it at all but that subsided after a while