any big people do Couch 2 5k routine?

Options
I am currently around 340lbs I started this routine about a week ago before that i mostly just walked about everyday 25-30min at a brisk pace 3.2-3.6mph. Here is the thing though I don't see myself moving on to the next phase of couch 2 5k because my shins start to heart really bad after about the third 60second run and not at the beginning of the run more towards the last 20seconds so i can push through it.

Just curious if any other bigger people have done this with success on their routine not ur own as in doing it 3times a week for 2months and being able to jog the whole 5k thanks.

Replies

• Michaelsdin
    Options
    bump ^
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I tried it a while back....like a year ago and couldn't do it. I'd love to try it again and actually succeed, but I think I need to lose more weight first just by walking. Good luck though! Let me know how it goes!
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I did the c25k when I was still morbidly obese. When I first tried jogging, I got the shin pain so I went back to just walking and worked on losing a little more weight. After I'd lost a little more, I tried jogging again. Once again, I got the shin pain, so again I went back to walking and lost a little more weight. On the third or fourth try I found I was able jog without pain. This is when I really got into the C25K program and I finished it in the allotted 9 weeks. It is an awesome program. I highly recommend it. Just be careful. Shin splints can really mess you up if the damage gets too bad. It's better to take it slow and easy, rather than risk injury. Good luck!! :)
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    When I finally decided to add exercise into my weight loss program I chose C25K. I was 250lbs and 5'7" so very heavy. In order to actually run 5k in 30 mins you have to run 6.2 mph during the intervals. I absolutely could not do this. My conditioning would not allow it at the time. So instead I made it work for me. I found that I could manage 5 mph for the running segment and 3.2 mph for the walking segment. By going at my own pace I was able to complete the program- and let me tell you that first complete 30 minute run without stopping was worth everything to me. I was proud of myself.

I have since done bridge to 10k at the slower pace, then I did C25K again at the 6.2 mph pace. Now I am finally working on bridge to 10k again to see if I can really run 10k in 60 mins.

It all happens in good time, and progams can be adjusted and still give great results!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I like the app because it tracks my distance and times. it's great for marking progress so even if you're not able to complete a week in the time period they specify, then at least you can see the progression.

I would repeat weeks until I could through them without stopping. no one says it has to be done in 9 weeks :)

Congrats on starting and keep up the great work!!
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I agree with doing the program at your own pace. I am on week 6 now and it came slowly for me.

One thing that I find that helps is building on endurance rather than speed. I started off really slow and that helped me quite a bit.

Feel free to add me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your size you need to make sure you have properly fitted running shoes to support your feet and minimize impact. Make sure you go to a running store and get them to assess your gait and recommend a shoe. Shin splints are often caused by landing hard on your heels, with extra weight it makes it even worse. Take small steps and land midfoot. You can help to strengthen the muscles in your shin by doing toe raises or stand on the edge of a step with just your toes on the step and raise yourself up and down. A shin splint is just the muscles in your shins rebelling like any other muscle not used to be worked.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it if you feel like you can and want to. If you are getting shin pain, try checking your form or getting new fitted shoes. You may also have to lose more weight.

I was having a lot of trouble with shin pains while jogging on pavement. I knew it wasn't my weight because I ran in college at the same weight and had no issues (also, didn't run regularly). I switched to treadmill last week and it was like "hallelujah!!" no pain. I've already been told that I need new shoes, but that's not happening right now.

Also, a great thing about the program is that you do it with your own pace in mind. So, you don't have to follow it exactly. If you need to repeat a week, then do so.
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I started in August I was 353. I did not use the Couch to 5k program, but I did train for a 5k (training for my next one on December 8). Training for a 5k and running have really helped my weight loss. I've lost just under 55 pounds since mid-August.
  • Colstriper
    Colstriper Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need some better shoes? I started running at 275 lbs and good running shoes made my runs better. New Balance 1012 - great shoes. Now at 250 I run 3-5 times a week at my own pace. I love running. I started by fast walking and then added jogging in as much as I could. It's not a fast process but it sure has boosted my weight loss.

Do you have good shoes? It may even make your walking better till you get to an easier running weight.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    At 344 down to the 280s I had not much luck doing any running; but I did do quite a bit of cardio on the treadmill and am now 232. I suggest... Do what you can do. Don't sweat it. Well, Sweat it out and get the weight down and then as you get your weight down, perhaps the run will be easier. Remember, as you are heavier, it is actually easier to exercise your weight down. It takes a lot of energy just to more.I would wait until I was ready to start the run... for me, I still walk and lift...
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I jogged my first 5K when I was about 255-60 lbs. It took me maybe 2-3 months after I started to jog to hit that. Now, I am currently 218 lbs, lost 122 lbs (340 start) and still cant do a 5K in 30 mins. I did one today in 33:08 but I am not 100% right now. At your size, I highly suggest just slow and steady. Lots of pounding on those legs/joints/anything below the neck and your body needs to get adjusted to this new form of torture. I cant also stress enough dont worry about your speed. Speed will come with more miles under your belt and less weight. Push it to hard to soon and your just asking to get hurt. Everyone is built dif. I have seen 300+ lb manage to run at 5K in 30 mins. It blows my mind but I am just not built that way. lol I walked for 9 months before I started to jog. End of May begin of June was when I started to jog 3-4 days a week. A few weeks ago I jogged 10 miles in 2:21. Slow? Yes... Do I care? No, I just jogged 10 miles without stopping while burning 2369 calories!

Slow and steady and watch the lbs fall off bud. Good luck!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your size you need to make sure you have properly fitted running shoes to support your feet and minimize impact. Make sure you go to a running store and get them to assess your gait and recommend a shoe. Shin splints are often caused by landing hard on your heels, with extra weight it makes it even worse. Take small steps and land midfoot. You can help to strengthen the muscles in your shin by doing toe raises or stand on the edge of a step with just your toes on the step and raise yourself up and down. A shin splint is just the muscles in your shins rebelling like any other muscle not used to be worked.

This this this this this. It is SO important that you get fit for the proper shoe, and if they don't have a shoe for you (not likely), they'll combine shoes + orthotics.

I'm looking forward to starting the program, but I'm going to wait just a bit longer. I don't get shin pain anymore, but I do have pretty bad knee pain. I can walk about 3.8 mph for a good clip but average 3 - 3.4 mph, up from 2 mph when I started. :) Once I can walk 4.0 mph consistently, I'll start the program. I'm excited, but not so excited that I want to ruin all of my progress with an injury. The top of my left foot gets cranky for some reason, so I definitely need new shoes.
  • sdmomof2
    sdmomof2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know that when I started the C25K program the first time I needed to have better shoes with better support. I also needed to stretch each time before starting... and I made both of these changes at the same time so not sure which helped more but the runners that I asked advice about the shin pain told me about stretching. So that is what I recommend. My pace when I finished the program was not as fast to complete a 5K in 30 min. but that was ok. I looked at it as endurance for going a longer time to complete the distance. Currently I use an elliptical in my basement on a fat burn interval, resistance 3. I burn about 420 calories in 30 min.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    thanks everyone for the replies so it sounds like i need new shoes, take it a little slower, and drop some more weight....well damn lol oh well guess ill take it slower and hopefully get new shoes monday. and the obviouse weight will go on its own hopefully long as i eat right and exercise daily
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I tried at my heaviest and it was not even a little bit successful the way written, Surpried 911 was not called on me as i was trying to run all out of breath, red faced looking like i was having a heart attack. I had to modify it and it took much longer, however it will also depend on your athletic ability, at the time I had none, I cried when I ran a mile for the first time. Big thing when I was that heavy was injury, make sure you go to a running store and are properly fitted. Also take your time do not run everyday. You can do it, if you need to modify do it, maybe you need to spend twice as long doing it maybe not, but I always felt the program was written for the firm couch potato, I was the mushy couch potato with butter and sour cream, it just took a while to firm me up. So you can totally do this, I think I was about 230 when I finally ran the 5k.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    If you use a treadmill, set the incline to 1% to mimic running outside. Treadmills do the propelling for you, so you run a bit faster than you would if you were outside propelling yourself. Most runners set the incline to 1% to make up for that.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8887211
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    When I started running this past Spring I looked long and hard at the C25k program. It's a great program, but I decided to do something similar on my own. Run / walk intervals are great for getting used to running and building endurance. Don't worry about speed at first, you'll naturally build speed as you build endurance and strength.

April 2011 I was at least 300 lbs (at 6' 2") when I got my dog and started walking between 1.25 and 4 miles every day. I was still 278 lbs when I joined MFP in January 2012. Working out at the gym on the elliptical or stairmill in addition to strengthening my legs doing leg press or squats and other full body exercises got me down to 255 or so in March. In March I started jogging and could barely run at 12 minute miles (5 mph) and struggled to do 1/4 mile non-stop. I think because of all the walking the dog and time on the elliptical, I didn't have the shin issues you're having. Kept working at it, build endurance. I still remember how good it felt to run 1 mile non-stop. I looked back and it was Mid-April when I ran 1 1/2 miles non-stop, in 18 minutes. Well, in late June I ran my first 5k in 27 minutes and another in early July in 26 minutes.

The point is it's not important how far or how fast you run, just that you go run! Soreness is normal, pain is bad, and the two are very different. If you can jog 1/2 mile or 10 minutes or whatever it is without pain, do that! Then walk. Don't try to just push through the pain, because pain means something is wrong. Build endurance, build strength, lose weight and just keep at it, but stop short of causing pain / damage!

As several others have mentioned....shoes! Get good running shoes and be prepared to replace them often. If you have a good running store near you (not a general sporting goods store) see if they do custom fittings. About every 3-4 months of regular use you'll want to replace them as the padding will compress and breakdown. Heart rate monitors and MP3 players are nice and all for running, but shoes are the only piece of equipment that you should not compromise on when running!
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    no treadmill for my i run at work while i do my patrol and i run at home around my mobile home park roughly .3miles per circle I want a treadmill just don't have the money for one so that will have to weight i like being outside anyway for the most part i would only get a treadmill if i lived somewhere it snowed/rained ALOT.
  • petemeep
    petemeep Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think the shin pain has less to do with size and more to do with doing too much to fast. I started the program at 220 and had no shin pain but at 180lbs I was pushing myself harder and started to get pain from doing too much. I would go at your own pace and build on what you can. there were several times I would walk a little longer if I needed to and then start running again when I was ready, I would just repeat the runs until I completed it. I still can't do the whole 5 k in under 30 min but I'm still way healthier than I was before the program! good luck you can do it!