Reindeer meat

Options
MrsWilsoncroft
MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
Picked up some reindeer meat tonight in Lidl and wondered what kind of meals/recipes you make with it as its not something I have tried before lol

Poor Rudolph xxx

Replies

• Chrissyrode
    Options
    I would think it's similar to venison - which benefits from moist, slow cooking - stews, braises, etc. Good luck!
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Well venison is the only sausages I like due to it being a dry meat. Probably alot like venison which is a favorite of mine and I would have to get that at Whole Foods. I am trying to limit my animal consumption. Amazed how much protein I get from other things. Got married and tried eating beef sausage and found out what indigestion was.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Is reindeer the same as Caribou? The caribou I brought home from Alaska was some of the best meat I've ever had. Very lean but very tasty. If it's similar to what I brought home you cook it the same way you would cook similar cuts of beef. It's it's tougher and gamier like venison then try venison recipes.
  • Get120
    Get120 Posts: 56
    Options
    Never tried reindeer but vension is great if you slowly cook it in tomato juice nd other dry seasoning that you like. Im nnormally not a deer meat fan but his way is tdf!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    What kind of cut of meat? A joint can be slow cooked like pork to stay very tender and juicy.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    I'm thinking of making a stew/casserole type dish tomorrow so will let you know the outcome :)