Weight calculator that takes into account your frame

Options
I found this quite interesting.
Almost like a modified BMI
You measure your "Frame" from places on your body where the bones stick out (wrist bones or elbow bones) - not sure if they stick out for everybody
and then add your height and it says a 10kg range that is "ideal"
obviously doesnt take into account composition (much like a bmi)
http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html

I'm 5'8 and people always say i dont look as heavy as I am, and my bones stick out and I wonder if it's coz I have a "large" frame.
The BMI says 55-75kg for my height is ideal. But at 55kg I looked unhealthily thin (in my opinion)
The calculator says I should be 66kg-76kg

Replies

• britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think that calculators that take your frame into consideration are the most useful, since I find that most of the calculators and such that calculate a "healthy" weight for me aren't accurate since I have a small frame, but I'm tall so the healthy weights that are calculated for me are way too high for me and I would look huge if I weighed that much. My highest weight was around 135 lbs, and I'm 5'8" so typically that would be a low weight for someone of my height, but that's nearly in the overweight range for me because of my small frame! :/
  • Lns25
    Lns25 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I would have said I had a medium frame but going by the calculator it says that I fit into the large! Interesting! :)
  • joanne70
    joanne70 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just done mine and I'm a 5 10 large frame so my ideal weight is 152-173. I'm now 183.
  • giogioitaly
    giogioitaly Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BMI and modify BMI are tools that we can used however people should be not get to obsess with them. Body fat scale and body measurament are better tools that will help you to focus on your weight goals..............
  • motherpenguin
    motherpenguin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I go by the true and tested skin fold measurement. Measure your body fat.

The thing to remember is muscle does weigh more than fat and its harder to put on muscle than fat!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥
    ♥ChUbByCoyLe♥ Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!

I will be getting my measuring tape out later.

Thanks for the post.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've just done this measurement, and having lost (to my mind) too much weight after my dad died very suddenly a couple of years ago, I was still never under 10 stone, and I had people telling me I looked poorly I was so thin. To have a healthy BMI for my height I need to be under 10 stone. This calculator confirmed my large frame (seems odd for someone of 5'4" but I swear my shoulders would be good for rugby/football) and reckons the upper limit of ideal weight to be around 10.5 stone.

I comfort-ate all the weight back on over the last two years, which is why I am here to lose it again in a more healthy way, almost 11 weeks into my journey and I have lost 19 pounds, I am very happy with this progress!

Thanks for posting this, it makes me feel better about my body shape and perhaps I can lose the fixation of making it to a healthy BMI.
  • Thank you I love this site so many helpful tools and articles
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I've used this one before, but I had an ideal set for myself. My frame is right at the border of medium/large and teeters large more, so it says 134 is my low (for large) and 124 is my high (for medium), yet my goal weight is set to 127. So I would say I picked a perfect weight for my size. I love this calculator because when I first found it I was just able to confirm what I thought was best for me. xo
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't think this calculator works for me. It says I have a large frame, and that my ideal weight is 131 - 147. Although I felt happy enough at those weights (and would like to be that size again!), I spent most of my life at around 120, with a 23" waist. I don't think I have a large frame.
  • lisasshmisa
    Options
    BMI and modify BMI are tools that we can used however people should be not get to obsess with them. Body fat scale and body measurament are better tools that will help you to focus on your weight goals..............
    where are the body fat scales available
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've used there calculator and looked at their body typing before. As usual it confirms what I try to deny, that I do indeed have a large frame. I still have 12 pounds to go to get to the top of my healthy range, so I'm not even going to start worrying about where to stop just yet.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    where are the body fat scales available
    Skin fold calipers are more accurate than electronic scales IMO.
    $10 on amazon.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1, large frame and weigh 139.6lbs. The calculator says I should be between 125 + 140. This seems about right for me. I'm going for 133lbs (9 and a half stone), then down to 129, so I can fluctuate between the two! I've been just under125lbs before...I looked ill!
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try this!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry - but this is no better than the BMI as it does not take into account LBM.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, body fat percentage is the best measure of physical fitness. It is more complicated to determine but it really does give you a better picture of your health.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for manly sized men. Lame.
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    Bump